Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Oil Hits $100 a Barrel! - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jan 7th, 2008 06:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
ole

Mana: 

And, you might consider, that it wouldn't. Without the stifling regulations, we might have nuclear plants, freeing up fuel at the pump. We might be sucking up oil from Anwar and the gulf. We might have the refineries to process it. Then, again, we might have petroleum products polluting our antibiotics. Go figure.

ole

Posted: Mon Jan 7th, 2008 03:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
David White

Mana: 

Now if only bottled water were that cheap.

Posted: Mon Jan 7th, 2008 11:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

David White wrote: Now if only bottled water were that cheap.

When I lived in Venezuela, we paid MORE for water than gas! We had to buy bottled water because we couldn't drink what came out of the faucet. We had to cook with the bottled water, make ice cubes, etc.

Anyway, we had five-gallon bottles of water delivered to our house, six bottles a week. The price of a five gallon bottle was greater than the price of five gallons of gas. If I recall right, gas was about 14-cents a gallon at that time.

That was ten years ago, but I doubt the situation is any different now.

Last edited on Mon Jan 7th, 2008 11:27 pm by CleburneFan

Posted: Mon Jan 7th, 2008 11:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

By the way, I heard a rumor on CNBC today that some experts in oil prices are talking about oil hitting $200 a barrel by the end of 2008! I hope they are just blowing smoke.

Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2008 02:53 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
ole

Mana: 

The price of a barrel of oil will be what OPEC decides it will be. So long as we must have it and refuse to pump up some of our own, that's the way it will continue to be. And that's only a band-aid, as we don't have the refineries to process it, there's another complication. And, as the reserves are finite, we're only talking about shovelling the problem onto our grandchildren.

Wonder how long it will take China or India to get sick of the prices and take over the Mid-East?

ole

Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2008 02:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
ole

Mana: 

The price of a barrel of oil will be what OPEC decides it will be. So long as we must have it and refuse to pump up some of our own, that's the way it will continue to be. And that's only a band-aid, as we don't have the refineries to process it, there's another complication. And, as the reserves are finite, we're only talking about shovelling the problem onto our grandchildren.

ole

Wonder how long it will take China or India to get sick of the prices and take over the Mid-East?

ole

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2008 02:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
ole

Mana: 

Excellent observation, Bama! The demand also bids up the price. But consider also that OPEC can easily pump more to bring the price down. However, if I were an OPEC member, I wouldn't be rushing to do that.

ole

Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2008 04:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
ole

Mana: 

I am not sure there is enough oil in this solar system to bring prices down at this point. I think we are going to have to put a real push into non fossil fuel engines...and ethanol ain't it!
Disagree with former; agree with the latter. A boost in the production would lower the price of a barrel. Temporarily. We're kind of stuck in that we don't have the refineries to manage much of a boost. And ethanol is a red herring. It's good only for corn growers. The supporters tend to overlook the oil and natural gas used in its production.I also think that governments at both the state and national level need to look at the taxes that are placed on fuel and the "winfall profits" these per gallon taxes have created. Based on the tax structure staying the same, and the price increasing 100% then we should be awash in motor fuel tax money...state and federal...but we are not!

Bite your tongue! Reduce taxes?:shock:

ole

Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2008 05:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

While I am not generally a John McCain supporter, I do have to fiercely agree with him that the oil prices we are paying are helping to finance the very people who do not have US interests at heart. He spoke just this week again of the double bind we are in literally financing anti-American war efforts in the Middle East at the very same time we are fighting there, a position that is just not sustainable.

In my book, the MAIN reason we need to find viable alternatives to oil-based fuels is to become independent of the regimes that sell oil. Until and when we do that, we will be held hostage to their demands, all hunky-dory if they were our allies, but they are not.

As an aside, corn is not the only way to make ethanol. Florida has a huge sugar cane sector. It is sugar cane that Brazil uses to make their ethanol. Also work is being done to extract ethanol from citrus peels. Right now, citrus peels are mainly used in livestock feed. A drawback of sugar cane, though, is the great demands it makes on water for its growth. Florida is in the throes of an historic drought and can ill afford that water.

Back to corn, I have a cousin who is working on his masters degree in agriculture. He told me something very interesting about how they have discovered that one of the bi-products from ethanol production from corn is a very densely nutrition-rich substance that they are working back into livestock feed. So the worry that so much corn would be diverted from livestock feed into ethanol production may be needless anxiety because as it turns out, we may be able to kill two birds with one stone as it were.

What I really wish is for the government to finance a "Manhattan Project" to find a substance that will free ourselves once and for all of dependence on oil as a fuel. We will never be completely free of oil, however, because it has countless industrial uses apart from fuel that will continue to require that we buy some oil but nothing like we do today.

Last edited on Tue Jan 8th, 2008 05:40 pm by CleburneFan

Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2008 06:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Like this one Cleburne?

Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2008 06:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
ole

Mana: 

At the moment, corn is the primary source of ethanol. It can be made from sugar or saw grass. The residue of corn-based ethanol is indeed used as livestock feed. But the use of corn for ethanol adversely affects the price of my nachos. And Bama's cornbread. (Have no idea where you can get real buttermilk, Bama. I can only wonder why you would want to. But then, you probably don't put sweet pickles on your peanut-butter sammich.)

"What I really wish is for the government to finance a "Manhattan Project" to find a substance that will free ourselves once and for all of dependence on oil as a fuel. We will never be completely free of oil, however, because it has countless industrial uses apart from fuel that will continue to require that we buy some oil but nothing like we do today."

Shoot! I'm in quick reply and can't do the quote justice. Danger! Will Robinson! The government can't fund its own toilet paper properly. When the demand requires it, it will be there. We'll be using hydrogen or electrically powered vehicles (recharged from nuclear plants), but our plastic bottles and Saran Wrap will be a bit harder to do without.

There are corporations out there working on alternatives. But, until WE want to buy fuel-efficient vehicles and adjust our lifestyles, there will be no money in it.

The wheels of change move slowly.

ole

Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2008 06:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
ole

Mana: 

Pretty much what I was getting at, Joe. If you build it, they will come.

Good grief! Are we starting to agree? Oh look! The sun just rose in the west.

ole

Last edited on Tue Jan 8th, 2008 06:33 pm by ole

Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2008 07:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
37th Post
ole

Mana: 

Oh yes, Bama. We do have to remember that Kentuck's finest is corn based. And that ethanol does affect Jack's price.

ole

Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2008 02:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
39th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Getting back to fossil/biofuels for a moment, I heard something on the radio the other day about a competition to build carburetors that get 100 miles to the gallon.

Well, hell's bells, the Model T got 25 mpg 100 years ago. You can't tell me the technology for 100 mpg doesn't already exist. If Detroit puts 100 mpg carbs in their cars today the Big 3 would become immediately solvent — they couldn't build cars fast enough to meet demand.

So something else must be going on here, right?

Back to our regularly scheduled program — pass the Hennesey, please.

Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2008 02:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
40th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

I think we ought to start drilling oil from Alaska. Its our oil and its just sitting there doing nothing. That would bring down gas a good bit for todays drivers and for future drivers.

Current time is 02:36 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2086 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 31 queries executed.