Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Hyphenated - Americans - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Feb 6th, 2008 02:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Okay Ed,  I am a Welsh-Irish -Scots-Choctaw, Cherokee-English- Confederate-Yankee-Western American. So I am first and last  an American.

Posted: Wed Feb 6th, 2008 06:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Marie

Mana: 

I'm English-Irish-Shawnee-French-Swiss-German (Alsace-Lorraine-think Amish)- Ohioan by way of Canada, Pennsylvania & Virginia.

First, last and always proud to be an American.

Regards,

Jana

Posted: Wed Feb 6th, 2008 10:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

I'm just a Heinz 57 w/ a little of everything in me. I'm fluent in several languages: English, Bad English and Drunkanese. I know enough Turkish, Lakota, French and Spanish to get myself to the bathroom and a beer... we won't talk about my Russian.

There is Swiss, German (Hessian), French, English, Native American (don't know what tribe), Czech, Tibetan and probably a mess more.  Now my daughter has all of the above plus Canadian, French, Greek, Mohawk, African (we've no idea what)... so what does that make her?  American cause if anyone calls her a mutt we'll have a long and probably uncomfortable conversation.

Pure and simple my ancestroy doesn't mean spit; I'm an American. I'm not likely to go to, let's say, Switzerland and look up relatives; what would I say? My lines been over in the US for a century, wanna catch up on old times?

Last edited on Wed Feb 6th, 2008 10:24 pm by Johan Steele

Posted: Wed Feb 6th, 2008 10:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

"But I speak two languages...English and Southern!"

:):):):D:D:D)(90

Posted: Thu Feb 7th, 2008 12:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Here's a hyphenated name to consider. My elder son was born in Nairobi, Kenya. Hubby and I are American citizens. At eighteen, my son had to declare somewhere whether he was Kenyan citizen or United States citizen.  He chose US citizen and registered for the US draft. 

Nothing can take away the fact that he was born in Kenya.  My younger son was born in Portugal. My younger son has never, ever called himself a Portuguese-American nor has my elder son ever called himself African-American or Kenyan-American.

One time I did make a blunder of mentioning that my elder son is an African-American, but in a special sense. The person to whom I was speaking took great umbrage with me and said my remark was in very poor taste.  I asked why. She explained to me that an African-American is a person of African descent who is born in the United States and I was presumptuous, even racist to claim that because my son was born in Africa, but now lives in the US and is a US citizen that he is African-American. She was very angry with me and never spoke to me again.

I was not claiming for my son the rights or privileges of African-Americans in any way such as using his status to try to get him admitted to a university or any such thing. But what happened that time was to show me how sensitive the issue of claiming a hypenated status is. It also shows how complicated the issue is.

I find it too bad that my sons cannot make any claim whatsoever to having been born in another country. In fact, they do seldom tell anyone because it invariably involves long explanations. What this woman was trying to make clear to me is that my son does not claim the right to be African just because he was born there.

She probably meant  that those who claim a hypenated heritage are referring to the ethnic and even racial traits of those designations. Being born in a place isn't enough.

Still, I wish we in the US wouldn't hypenate our nationality. I think it is divisive.

Last edited on Thu Feb 7th, 2008 12:05 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Thu Feb 7th, 2008 12:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

I know that we are supposed to be keeping it light, but I just wanted to say,  Thank You, Cleburne Fan for this statement:

"Still, I wish we in the US wouldn't hypenate our nationality. I think it is divisive."

(I actually have ancestry for a serious brag, but let that go a long time ago, felt boxed in by it, never mention it anymore.  Oops, guess I just did... but I ain't tellin' what.  Anyway, they earned it, not me. I just got their genes).

Now back to keeping it light!

Posted: Thu Feb 7th, 2008 01:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I'll make it heavy again, Joannie Reb. I have just recently found out that I have ancestors who were tried in the Salem Witch Trials. WOW! Is that a heavy trip or what? Maybe my hyphenated designation should be Accused Witch-American. :(

Posted: Thu Feb 7th, 2008 01:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Hee-hee - I LIKE it!  "Accused Witch American", don't hear that everyday!

Posted: Thu Feb 7th, 2008 01:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

i am
part Cherokee
Southern
and just plain American as far as i know

whatever else i am im proud of it

Last edited on Thu Aug 28th, 2008 05:40 pm by Dixie Girl

Posted: Thu Feb 7th, 2008 02:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

JoanieReb wrote: Hee-hee - I LIKE it!  "Accused Witch American", don't hear that everyday!

It surely does explain a lot! :D :D :D

I really would have rather been a Cleburne-American or something equally cool.

Posted: Thu Feb 7th, 2008 03:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Cleburne Fan,

Now that's a fun idea:  Come up with our fantasy-hyphenated-selves!

Posted: Thu Feb 7th, 2008 03:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

Cleburne, maybe our ancestors were neighbors!  My direct Fuller line left England for Salem and Rehoboth in 1638.  No traces of the witch trials on their backs but lots of other history concerning them I know.

As for me, I'm mostly English with some Welsh, German, Scottish, Swiss, Danish, Swedish and Norwegian.  That translates to "whiter than Wonder bread" and I keep the spf 500 lotion handy at all times.

I vote here and I pay taxes here.  There has never been any hyphenating for me.

Posted: Thu Feb 7th, 2008 03:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Fuller ,one side of my family arrived in Roxbury in 1636 so maybe they were neighbors of yours at some time.    Since all but the Indian ancestors were from the British Isles I also keep the SP 500 handy,  I have brown hair but fair skin.  Burn in two seconds outside.

I forgot to add my great grandfather was born in Canada so add Canadian to the list . But then his parents were from New England area and oh yeah he was a Union Soldier in the Civil War.

Bama I speak Californian and English.  Cowabunga dudes and dudettes.

Johan I have learned enough Danish in my life to order food , and tell my Danish kids to sit down, be quiet, eat your food, and ask the dog if it needs to go out side. 

Living in Southern Cal and after taking two years in High school and one year in college I can speak a little spanish , mainly order off the menu in any Mexican restaraunt. 

Susan  

Posted: Thu Feb 7th, 2008 12:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

I think one thing is clear; all of the members of this board are History-American... or maybe Hysterical-American.

Posted: Thu Feb 7th, 2008 02:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

Johan, crazy people have more fun dontcha think? :cool:

Susan, I'm assuming you have been to Solvang right?  I love that place.  Aaaaaand, I just learned how to make Aebleskivers!  Yum.

Posted: Thu Feb 7th, 2008 02:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Johan Steele wrote: I think one thing is clear; all of the members of this board are History-American... or maybe Hysterical-American.
Gotta love it--History-American and Hysterical-American. I am proudly  and unabashedly both!!!

Posted: Thu Feb 7th, 2008 03:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Fuller yes I have been to Solvang, but having been to Denmark I always found it too touristy .  Usually too I was headed to Danish friends home so got better Danish food there than at Solvang. 

I love it History-American , that's me .  We are all Book-Americans too or Reader-Americans.

Susan

Current time is 06:36 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4624 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 30 queries executed.