Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Jobs - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2008 05:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Dixie Girl.. First let me comend you on having an idea with what to do with your life at 16 proves your character and smarts.  Second make sure you decide what you want to do with your life not mom or dad or anyone just you, I made that mistake as a lad my father was very influencial in my life , I wanted to be a Radio Discjockey and he wanted me to a  Argibuisness college in NE. well I went and got a Assoc. degree in Agri Buisness (we had a huge farm at the time) 2 years after graduation it was worthless, family had to sell the farm. Make sure you get at least a BA that is what most employers are looking for.  Third  stay away from the party scene in college it will only take you away from your studies and all employers when you go to do something with said degree look at that and GPAs follow you around on your future educational persuits. Second and third are things I learned the hard way.  Good luck young lady and remember stay true to yourself.

Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2008 05:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

YoungLobo, that was great, down to earth realistic advice.

I'd add only one thing. This is a new concern these days. Be VERY careful what you post on Face Book and My Space because employers are looking at that now. If you have what looks like wild party photos and spirited pictures of drinking contests, etc.  they will not hire you.

I'm POSITIVE a serious young lady such as yourself would never, ever post such material, but just be careful what image you do put out over the web because it could come back to haunt you.

Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2008 05:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
younglobo

Mana: 

CleburneFan wrote: YoungLobo, that was great, down to earth realistic advice.

I'm POSITIVE a serious young lady such as yourself would never, ever post such material, but just be careful what image you do put out over the web because it could come back to haunt you.

Thank you ma'am

I had seen a Local news broadcast on the same thing , one should not be punished for what they do early on in life when they are young .

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2008 07:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Bama46 wrote: Lobo,
One should not be punished for youthful indescretions.. we all had them, but we live in a very mean and unforgiving society today and if someone can be punished, they will be.

Ed

I think the trouble is with the web's being leaving permanent tracks of what we write and post, someone can trace that material and use it against us if they are disposed to do so.

Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2008 08:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
ashbel

Mana: 

I think anyone who is realistic would tell you that finding a job in history is very, very difficult.  I had dinner on Tuesday night with a Professor of Civil War history.  He told me that before he takes a PhD student he does everything he can to discourage them from selecting history as a profession.  If they still want to press forward, he does everything in his power to prepare them for the job market.  So far all of his PhD graduates have found jobs.

Everybody is different.  I have one son who asked for advice on what to do.  I told him that anything in medicine was going to be in demand because of our aging population.  He went to school and was hired immediately.  My daughter studied PR and found a job at a top magazine even before she graduated.  My second son studied history and he is working for one of my companies.  He is doing a fabulous job and has been successful.  But there weren't any recruiters at his door when he graduated.

Although a liberal arts education may not prepare someone for a specific job it does give them perspective and judgement.  These are very valuable qualities for employees in any organization. 

The scariest thing to me is to imagine our country with a bunch of people who have never studied history.  That would ensure that we will live in a world constantly repeating the mistakes of the past.

Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2008 10:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

younglobo i will take your advice. trust me its what I want to do.

everybody else wants me to be a doctor, lawyer, executive or a housewife. all of them except housewife sound alright but there extremely boring. i am always gonna do what i want within reason

Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 12:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Boring... whatever you do don't tell my better half being a housewife is boring.

Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 12:56 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
Reb till death

Mana: 

joining the army at 17 retire as soon as they tell me I am to old if I even live that long.

Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 01:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
Rebel Yell
Belle,Bourbon,Battlefields

Mana: 

Hi Dixie!! I have never had my dream job of being a professional musician...BUT I have done other things that supported me so I could be in several part-time working bands as well as pay for my Civil War indulgences.

If you have a dream, GO FOR IT!!! It may not come tru, but if you don't try, it never will!!!

Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 02:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
ole

Mana: 

If you have a dream, GO FOR IT!!! It may not come tru, but if you don't try, it never will!!!
+_

Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 02:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
booklover

Mana: 

Dixie,

I certainly admire your spirit, but I can also tell you that when you get into your first real history class (not just a survey course, but one on a specific time period) you'll realize just how many times you have to take the bad with the good. I had the best Civil War history teacher and I took everything I could with him. I had the worst World War II history professor (a subject I dearly loved and still do) and I actually got up and walked out of his class because he was so boring (which I should have been disciplined for, but never was). As someone who was used to high school tests, the very first test I took in college I failed miserably. I realized then that they were actually trying to teach me to become a historian and not just be a history major. When I said minor in something practical, I meant in something like business or computers or something that will add to your ability to find work once school is over with. There's nothing wrong with adding practicality to your dream. Also, take creative writing classes. There is a very famous historian named C. Vann Woodward (whom you will encounter, I'm sure) who once told me that studying history is only half of it. He said that the motive for learning about the past should include the desire to write about it as well as teach it. Those are words that I have lived with ever since. Good luck with your future plans and read read read!

Best
Rob

Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 02:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Book Lover has written some very wise words indeed.

Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 02:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
aphill
Lee's forgotten general

Mana: 

When I was 16, I wanted to be a doctor.  To be specific, I wanted to be an orthopedic surgeon.

I'm dyslexic, however.  I learned to compensate very well in reading and writing (well, other than I still make the letter "F" backwards if I'm not careful), but math was always a struggle.  Although I took advanced level biology and chemistry in college, I don't think I could have done the Calculus or the Physics required to go to medical school.

I decided sometimes desire and talent are two different things and let go of the dream.

Although I loved history in high school, my dream job was never history.  And I didn't really consider it seriously in college.  Although I ended up majoring in history and philosophy (with a minor in literature), I never dreamed of working at a Civil War site or anything like that.  I ended up going to law school and I'm now a practicing attorney.

Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 04:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
36th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

AP.. I'm Dyslexic too. After I graduated college the 1st time with a sublevel GPA, I decided to return and try for a history degree and become a teacher but I could not pass the algebra courses (due to my problem of swapping numbers around). Was really bummed for awhile , wish someone could explain the need for a history teacher to know algebra or anyone but a engineer for that matter.

Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 05:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
37th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Top dog in my med school class was a philosophy major. Great guy, compassionate, excellent pediatrician. He took only enough bio, chem, math classes to satisfy the med schools entrance. I on the other hand was a biology major with a minor in history. They called me "catfish", can anyone out there figure out.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 06:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
38th Post
aphill
Lee's forgotten general

Mana: 

People often poke fun at philosophy majors, but at least when I was in school supposedly they scored the highest or near the top across the board on all kinds of graduate school entrance exams (be it LSAT, MCAT, the GRE ...).

I tried to take Calculus three times and each time had to drop the course because I couldn't overcome the darn number swapping problem.

I think philosophy is valuable for going on in further study because it teaches you to read and digest difficult material.  I know in law school, reading cases came pretty easily to me because I was used to wading through such thick texts.  The critical thinking and logic elements of philosophy are helpful too, as is the ability to express yourself clearly in writing when dealing with difficult subject matter.

There were only about 7 philosophy majors in my college graduating class, and all were double majors.  It isn't a very popular major.

Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2008 03:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
40th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

well Reb I dont think i could be in the army.  mainly because im to stubborn and because i dont think i could serve a country in which i believe will become a communist country in a matter of a few years. however i have the most respect for those who do join and give their lives for the US.

Last edited on Tue Jun 24th, 2008 02:49 am by Dixie Girl

Current time is 01:34 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2282 seconds (16% database + 84% PHP). 31 queries executed.