Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Feb 14th, 2008 01:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

i was thinking about jobs today. i think i was trying to figure out what job id like best when i turn 16. i came to the conclusion that i want to work at Chinqua Penn Plantation as a tour guide.  its the biggest historical thing (wait a minute it is the biggest thing) we have in my home town.

so then it got me thinking about my job when im a adult. personally i think studying history in college would be the best thing for me. i want a major in History and a minor in Civil War Era History. i also want a major in Archeology and a minor in Military History. i know thats gonna be a lot to hold down in college but i can handle it.

it got me wonderin what was all yalls dream jobs when yall were my age?

Posted: Thu Feb 14th, 2008 02:07 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

16... I had just graded out of High School and didn't really know. I was giving serious thought about West POint or the Air Force Academy (I knew there was no way I could pass the math side of the entrance exams.) Went an got a job as a field hand, later as a welder at my father shop. Bought my first car that summer, a 1980 Ford Fairmont (old police cruiser) and went to College.

I wanted to be a college professor of history. Not of CW history though.

From the very start I was a History Major w/ a concentration in East Asian Studies doing my thesis on the Mongol Conquests and an English minor. Marco Polo had always fascinated me. History is great, an inspiring subject but it doesn't pay spit, same w/ English. So three years 154 credits later I had nothing that would do me any good in a career and bills out the wazoo. Joined the USAF, 7 years of my life proved to be good, bad and indifferent. In retrospect I wish I had joined up first then went to college; I would have had more $, more experiance and maturity.

I want to wish you the best of luck: Dig in, reach for your dreams and don't be afraid of them.

It's hard to believe I graduated HS most of 20 years ago... Where has all that time gone?

Posted: Thu Feb 14th, 2008 02:07 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Wanted to be a fiction writer.  Reality got in the way.

Posted: Thu Feb 14th, 2008 02:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I wanted to be a high fashion designer. What on earth was I thinking? That is so NOT me today.

Dixie Girl, I think your plans to study history and archeology are terrific.

Last edited on Thu Feb 14th, 2008 02:34 am by CleburneFan

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Feb 14th, 2008 07:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I have only wanted to be one thing and one thing only.  A teacher.  My first job in college was working in the Children's centers (child care) after school five days a week and all summer.  I made a whole  .95 cents an hour the first year.  After college where I majored in history and minored in English  (in those days it was a given that if you majored in History your were a minor in English and the other way around if you majored in English your minor was History) I went back to work at the children's center for 1.25 an hour.  I then went back to school to get my teaching credential substituing the whole while I was attending school.  Four years later I finally got a contract to teach here in Huntington Beach.  I stayed here teaching Kindergarten then first grade for 29 years.  Most of the time I taught a gifted first grade class.   I continued to take classes and workshops every year while I was teaching to keep up with the latest information .  I finally got a masters in reading in my 40's . 

When I first started teaching a bunch of us were sitting around the rec room of the apartment building I lived in trying to think up a job for a guy out of work.  There were ten of us sitting around.  My boy friend said , You know there is one person in this room who when she gets up in the morning loves what she is doing and loves going to work.  The whole group said yeah Susan .  I said of course I do. Funny ten years later I ran into the old boyfriend, we started talking , He said you still love what you are doing .  I said yes I do .  One of the reason I retired was I didn't love it as much.  It wasn't the kids, it wasn't the teaching. It was all the other sh*t .  I still miss the kids and  creating the units of study for the kids. 

I was very lucky to have a job I loved for over 30 years.  Now I enjoy giving tours one day a week  and helping out anyway I can at the Drum Barracks.

Susan

Susan 

Posted: Thu Feb 14th, 2008 07:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Susan - that's awesome - knowing what you wanted to do, doing it, and loving it. Sigh.

Posted: Thu Feb 14th, 2008 12:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Susan, my hat's off to you. My mother was a Special Ed teacher for thirty years... at some point her mind cracked. Now she survives on disability.

Posted: Thu Feb 14th, 2008 02:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

I wanted to be a Foley Artist.  Strange one I know.

Now I'm a wife and a mom and I'm surrounded by more sound effects then I care to hear! :D

Posted: Thu Feb 14th, 2008 02:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Fuller wrote: I wanted to be a Foley Artist.  Strange one I know.

Now I'm a wife and a mom and I'm surrounded by more sound effects then I care to hear! :D

There was a happy time when one of my sons  and I would watch movies on TV and say what sound effects we felt should be in any given scene. We'd praise the movie if the sound effects were "right" (according to our taste:D) and condemn movies we thought were too subtle or too over the top. It was great fun and I remember those days fondly.

Posted: Thu Feb 14th, 2008 03:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
connyankee

Mana: 

I worked on farms growing up in southern NJ (jobs nobody wants).  My life changed in 1970 when I pulled  lottery  #22.  I enlisted in the Navy for six years which paved my path for a 30-year career in civilian life.  No regrets, really. 

:)

Posted: Thu Feb 14th, 2008 04:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
booklover

Mana: 

I have a B.A. in history and while I wouldn't change a thing, it certainly hasn't opened any doors for me. Doing journalism for 14 years didn't require it, nor has working in a bookstore for the past 8. Not trying to discourage you Dixie, but realize that our society doesn't appreciate liberal arts degrees nor do most people who do the hiring think the things you learned while getting that degree can be transferred to "the real world".

My goal in life was to get my bachelors, then masters and finally the doctorate and then teach at either a small university or private college, using that as a means to the end of writing history. I questioned whether getting the degrees had any value (plus I was sick of school) so I decided to work a couple of years and then go back to school. I never did.

Today, I realize that I can still write without the doctorate, and in some ways I think it might even be a help instead of a hindrance. The biggest problem is that grant monies and fellowships that will help you do research are generally available only for college professors or those with an advanced degree.

So Dixie, get your degree in history but minor in something more "practical".

Best
Rob

Posted: Thu Feb 14th, 2008 06:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Interestingly, at the local university in the ninties, the cutting edge students whom intended to apply for medical school were getting their two required years of sciences, then finishing with liberal arts degrees - at that time, the people on the admittance (to med school) committees were looking for people with "the human touch", for lack of a better term. The guy who blew his whole class out of the water in the sciences got a bachelors in English literature.

(There used to be a 4-year degree program called "pre-med",
but it went the way of the dinosaurs.  By that time, all pre-med students had to get "real"  bachelors degrees before applying to med school.  With the two years basic sciences as electives, if nothing else!)

Last edited on Thu Feb 14th, 2008 06:14 pm by JoanieReb

Posted: Thu Feb 14th, 2008 06:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

i want my PHD in History that way when im to old to do anything else i can teach at some university. all in all i guess thats not a bad plan.

what do you mean more practical? thats the only thing that interests me. to sum it up, if it dont grab my attention i dont pay it no mind unless i have to. besides its the stuff that im best at. i may as well use up my brain cells on memorizing dates, places, and people instead of something else

Posted: Thu Feb 14th, 2008 08:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

First of all trying to get a job as a professor when you can no longer do anything else is going to mean you will not get hired as a professor either. 

Second  college history is much more than knowing dates ,places and people. 

Third  Take it from someone who learned the hard way , even if it doesn't grab you attention there are certain required classes that have to be taken .  You will need to pay attention to them or fail.

Fourth History and English majors are great for background  but other majors that prepared you for the job market are very important.  Most teachers I knew had history or English majors.   A few had science majors.  My niece majored in art and then got her masters in Education .  She is now teaching kindergarten in a private school. 

Listen to these people posting .  They know what they are talking about .  They have been there done that. 

Susan

Posted: Thu Feb 14th, 2008 08:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Dixie,

First, congratulations on having Phd ambitions. Never set your sights low. Understand that when you get to college, you're going to be exposed to subjects in such depths that you will find yourself immersed in things you aren't even aware of now. Keep your love of history by all means, but always be ready to expand it.

All the other posters are dead-on. I would add this: be a pessimist in order to be safe. Your ultimate goal is a history career, and you aim for the Phd. But what if something happens and you can't go to grad school after your BS or BA? Sadly, a Bachelor's in History and $5 won't get you a coffee ant Starbuck's. Consider a broad major (Bus. Admin., English, Education, etc.) with a minor in history. You'll have plenty of electives to choose from to strengthen your history load. If something happens that you don't get to grad school, your major will at least help you more in the job market. If yoiu do get to grad school, THEN you can major in history. Just food for thought...

Posted: Thu Feb 14th, 2008 08:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

I've been a Teacher, a Human Resources Manager and now I am a Career Advisor (help people go to school, counsel them on Career choices/paths, teach resume writing, job interviewing and job search workshops, etc.). Of thoe three career fields, teaching was the best!

As a Career Counselor, I must tell you: get into a field that you are good at AND enjoy! If either of those two elements is missing, you'll be miserable!

A study done by the UCLA suggests the average American, during the course of their working years changes careers (not jobs, per se, but careers....there's a big difference) an average of 7 times! Why? Because they don't like what they do, they keep changing jobs, their business/employer closes so they have to find something else, a variety of reasons. But, I digress to my previous point: be good at what you do and enjoy it!

Of the three careers I had, teaching paid the least but was the most satisfying! To this day, I'd accept a pay cut if I could teach again! Well, I could teach again, but I'd have to go back to school to update classes, then, more than likely, have to move to take a job. I'm too settled in where we live now to uproot my family.

Anyway, do what you enjoy and DO NOT let money influence your decision! Go get your PhD and teach....after all, SOMEONE has to be a college professor, why not you?

Posted: Thu Feb 14th, 2008 11:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
ole

Mana: 

Dixie Girl:

What all of them said. You must have a goal, and apparently you do, but be aware that none of the preceding posters ever ended up where they intended.

The problem with life is, that even if you follow all the rules and lessons, you have no guarantee that it will unfold as you wish. Your job is to go for it and to play the cards you are dealt. I'll bet that in 20 years, your story will be similar to the ones you've been reading on this thread: "I had intended to ......... But here I am."

ole

Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2008 12:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Agree with the Big O. Have during the course of my practice to have high school students come to my office and ask me about my medical practice. I was lucky or unfortunate to have selected medicine as my career choice very early, 7, in my life. So throughout my early years that was my goal. Even now, can't see myself doing anything else, even though I enjoy other things, i.e. working part time as a doucent, teacher, historian. DG - my advice for what it's worth is that due to your age of 16 you have a lifetime ahead of you, try different things, look in different directions before you commit to anything. Even though you like the cw and history there may be other things out there to interest you. Above all enjoy what you do as a profession. If you don't enjoy it you will be miserable and will not do your best.

Doc C

Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2008 03:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

My degree is in Advertising. I have never worked on single, solitary day in advertising in my life of sixty-four years. As others have said above, life can take so many abrubt twists and turns, curves and hills, rivers and floods. You simply do not at sixteen have any way to know where it will go. At sixteen I never, ever could have predicted the wild and wooly life I would eventually lead. Most people here could say the same about their own lives.

But you are doing one thing right. You have a plan and that is the best start. If history is your plan, start reading history constantly. If you want to teach history, take a course in public speaking. My best friend at the University of Florida dropped out. She wanted to be a teacher, but she could not complete the required public speaking course because the "stage fright" made her physically ill.

I knew history majors at U of F who would fall asleep trying to read the hundreds of pages assigned to them each week. They throw it at you hard and fast in college. You will find, too, that some periods of history will seem stultifyingly boring and others such as the Civil War will be boundlessly fascinating. Even in the Civil War period there are writers and professors who manage to make the most interesting history dull. Their books and classes will be soporific. Take the bad along with the good.

But you are doing the right thing. You have a paln. You have an interest. You are not auditioning for AMerican Idol. You have a plan that will carry you through nearly the next decade of your life to prepare for. Go for it, gal. 

Current time is 03:22 amPage:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2086 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 27 queries executed.