Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Where is God in all this? - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2008 01:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
41st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

John Calvin was one of the important founders of the protestant faith. It would be too exasperating and I would probably be incorrect in my brief definition of him and his thesis to attempt a meaningful discourse, thus I suggest you read more scholarly treatises on him and his theological theory.

Doc C

Last edited on Wed Feb 20th, 2008 01:13 am by Doc C

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2008 01:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
ashbel

Mana: 

Doc
I think my definition of "good people" is much like yours.  All of the monikers you use could be good people.  The good ones are the ones that do good deeds and are kind, thoughtful, considerate, honest, helpful and generous - no matter what their religious preference.

I have been in business for the past 35 years.  One of my rules is that I do not trust people with my money who wear their religion as a badge of honor.  I have been burned too many times by the "true believers" who were not good people. 

I am happy to say no one fits that description on this Board.  All of these responses have been from the heart and solicited.  One should be most wary of  those that give the unsolicited professions of faith.

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2008 01:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
43rd Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

i agree. you shouldnt say you belong to a faith and then not care a thing about it. im a Christian thats my faith. its what i believe

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2008 12:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Good deeds alone won't get a person to Heaven:

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.” -Ephesians 2:8,9

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. “ -John 3:16

Earlier, I said my faith was simple; I beleive the 2 above quotes show why.

Just two more cents of mine......!!

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2008 01:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
45th Post
ashbel

Mana: 

And, Albert, I would defend to the end your right to believe as you do.

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2008 02:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
46th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Thanks, Ashbel!!

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2008 02:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
47th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Doc C wrote: Question - a bad believer will go to heaven whereas a good non-believer won't??? Had this discussion a while back with my brothers baptist preacher father in law. IMHO, just believing doesn't insure you an entrance to the here after, but as Jesus taught us good deeds and how we treat our fellow human beings does, irregardless of your religious beliefs - christian, budhist, hindu, muslem. Just my typical ranting.

Doc C

DOC .. once you accept Christ as your personal savior , you go to heaven , if you dont you go to Hell , that is what I believe as a southern baptist. I must humbly disagree with your view of Jesus teachings.

JOHN 14:6 

Jesus replied, 1  “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. 2  No one comes to the Father except through me.

In this verse and the previous ones Jesus is telling his disciples where he is going and how to get there. I dont read anything about being a good person and getting there .

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2008 02:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
48th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Ashbel .. No one is perfect Romans 3:23 "all have sinned an fall short of the glory of God" No one is perfect not even the "true Believer" that you discuss, that is why God sent Jesus Christ to die for our sins.

I do agree with you that thier are alot of people that like to talk the talk but not walk the walk and that is unfortunate it gives all believers a bad name. But we all make mistakes none of us are perfect God refers to David as man after Gods own heart and if your read on him he was far from perfect. Will never have perfection till we get to heaven . There was only one perfect man that walked this earth and I an't him.

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2008 04:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
49th Post
David White

Mana: 

Doc:

Good People = Aggies

I forgot that one important requirement to be saved; all others will burn with unquenchable fires, especially those damned old teasips ;)

Dixie Girl:

Why would a loving God, who died for us, condemn people for eternity just by the circumstances of their birth? How can a true believer not perform good works? I would challenge anyone's belief, if they did not live that belief in their actions. Belief without good works is like words with no action to back them up. The former without the latter in both cases is a facade.

I'm also interested in your view on good works helping you on judgment day but not saving you, will the fires of hell be turned down a few degrees for a do gooder versus the cretins or what are you implying?

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2008 06:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
50th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

a true believer can perform good works, but good works alone will NOT get you into heaven. when all you are judged on judgement day and everything is revealed your good works will also be revealed, along with your sins.

no the fire will not be turned down. like i said just performing good deeds alone is not going to do anything for you. it will make you look better in the end, but if you dont serve God its pretty much worthless.

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2008 08:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
51st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

I would presume those who participated in the inquisitions, true believers, were good people.

David, by your definition, good people = aggies, I'm only 1/2 good, being that my dad was a CT.

Doc C

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2008 08:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
52nd Post
Reb till death

Mana: 

Amen Ole!

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2008 10:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
53rd Post
David White

Mana: 

DG:

So ultimately there is no advantage in "looking better at the end" versus living a life of sin every day of your life if you are not a believer? Isn't "serving God" doing good works? If not what is "serving God?"

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2008 10:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
54th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

If I'm not mistaken their were not any Catholics, Baptists, Methodists, Mormans, etc. during the time of Jesus. Don't quote me lines from a book written by jewish followers of Jesus huddled in caves hiding from the Romans or their Jewish brethren years after his death. Religion, more specifically spirtuallity, is extremely personal to me. I will never attempt to say who is worthy of life in the hereafter, there is only one who has that distinction. Years ago, my father in law gave me some good advice, DON'T DISCUSS RELIGION, POLITICS, MONEY. I hereby resign from this discussion.

Doc C

Last edited on Wed Feb 20th, 2008 10:19 pm by Doc C

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2008 10:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
55th Post
ashbel

Mana: 

Well said, Doc!

I respect others rights to believe whatever they want as long as it does not infringe upon my rights.  I would hope others would do the same for me.

Count me out too.

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2008 10:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
56th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

That is the way I love to see controversial topics end, and Bravo to all for keeping it civil. Booklover had the guts to raise valid questions on a potentialy explosive subject. Those who disagreed calmly stated their case. Nobody expected to change anyone's mind, and that's OK. There comes a time when your case has been stated, and right or wrong, farther debate does little good. Good job to all....

Posted: Thu Feb 21st, 2008 01:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
57th Post
booklover

Mana: 

Well, as I started this, I have to say that I too have said all I need to say on the topic. And Joe is right. I doubt any minds were changed, nor was that my reason for starting this. I wanted to hear what others who have beliefs other than my own had to say. They said it, very well I might add. Thank you to all who participated.

Best
Rob

Posted: Thu Feb 21st, 2008 01:53 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
58th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

thank you Javal. we do try to keep things as civilized as possible.

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Feb 21st, 2008 02:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
60th Post
Reb till death

Mana: 

what would happen if the south won

Current time is 09:10 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2210 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 27 queries executed.