Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

What to do with 8 tattoo's - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Feb 19th, 2008 02:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Dixie Girl wrote: it looks cool thats why. plus ive wanted them for as long as i can remember
Here's where we differ. I just don't think multiple ear ring holes look all that cool. To me it is just ear clutter.  No disrespect, Dixie Girl. I know we are from very different generations with different norms. I did things and wore things my Mom hated too.

Last edited on Tue Feb 19th, 2008 02:04 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Tue Feb 19th, 2008 04:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
ole

Mana: 

of course it hurts. but we gotta show who we pull for.
No. You don't gotta. Who you pull for today can be demonstrated with a t-shirt. And it's a lot less silly and a lot less permanent. When you've changed from a teenager into a history prof at a respected university, you will have to live with youthful foolishness and bad judgement and perpetual long sleeves.

ole

Posted: Tue Feb 19th, 2008 04:53 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Fan I was trying to figure out how to say it , and you did it for me , Ear Clutter .  Exactly what I was thinking . 

Susan  whose mother kept going on and on about Susan's  long stringy hair daily for several years . 

Posted: Tue Feb 19th, 2008 05:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
ole

Mana: 

Agree with most. A tattoo on the forearm or bicep used to mean a marine or sailor. Now it's a permanent mark of "self-expression."

That self-expression stays with one no matter how much one's mind has changed. I can understand that shore-leave led to some "wink-wink" indiscretions, but body-art is the mark of an immature fool.

I'm certain that at least a few others think the same way, otherwise Bama would not be so cautious about who he has representing his company. I can live with multiple earrings; after all, that mutilation is undetectible after a few years. But I won't patronize an establishment represented by repellant characters with piercings or tats. However tasteful.

By all means, express yourself. But when that expression haunts you in later years, acknowledge that it isn't them who cause you a problem. There is only one to blame.

ole

Posted: Tue Feb 19th, 2008 05:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
Reb till death

Mana: 

on my left arm I will have a circle of flags of where my ancestors came from in the middle be family crest and name. Below it will be the word Familia. on my back will be the stars and bars and below it will be the Confederate motto. on my right arm will be the units names and crests of the units I served in while in the Army also the ranks I held. and the same for all my JROTC stuff below that.

Posted: Tue Feb 19th, 2008 05:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

You might want to check this website http://www.beforeyoutattoo.com/military-tattoo-army.html

It is the US Army policy guide on tattoos .

Susan

Last edited on Tue Feb 19th, 2008 05:39 am by susansweet

Posted: Tue Feb 19th, 2008 06:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
Reb till death

Mana: 

Thank you ma'am. I assure you that none of my tatto plans will effected by these rules. If i am asked by my CO i will tell him that none of my tats are of no extrimists Value. They are there to preserve my heritage and what I have fought to protect. Every Wensday I ware ethier A class uniforms and B class on occasian. I know the Regulations and that my tats will not show unless I take off my shirt. I must be doing good because I am a PFC my current CO dosent care about this rule etheir way. so who knows.

Posted: Tue Feb 19th, 2008 01:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

ole wrote: Agree with most. A tattoo on the forearm or bicep used to mean a marine or sailor. Now it's a permanent mark of "self-expression."

ole

Until recently on a man it also used to mean a felon or a gang member (or both.) When I see a man with lots of visible  tattoos, especially ones going up the neck or on the face, I do think "ex-felon" or gang-banger..

Rock musicians, particularly heavy metal and related genres, are heavily into tattoos also.

Posted: Tue Feb 19th, 2008 06:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

me i want a dragon on my thigh and the Jolly Roger and The Confederate Flag on my back. i was also thinking bout gettin the John Deere emblem and motto on my right arm.

Posted: Tue Feb 19th, 2008 07:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
Reb till death

Mana: 

my dad is a biker with a tat it doesnt mean a thing. Oh if you have them on your neck or face or hands or anywhere for that matter dosent mean a thing it is what it is that does.

Posted: Tue Feb 19th, 2008 07:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
ashbel

Mana: 

There is a clinic in our area that advertises in the newspaper every week for "tatoo removal."  Apparently there are many customers or they wouldn't keep advertising.  And from what I hear, it is not a very pleasant experience.

Hmm!  Maybe there are some negatives to this tatoo stuff.  Just something to think about.

Posted: Thu Feb 21st, 2008 05:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

This is a real interesting thread.  The generations meet....

I know that tattooing means many different things today than it did one generation ago, two generations ago, three generations ago...

...and there is a lot of humor and poignancy in understanding what it means to the different generations, and thinking of what it will mean in the future.

Being kind of a "wild child" at heart, and being in the age group that I am, I know people think that I have some secret tattoo tucked away, and are surprised when I don't.  I say that it's my way of being a non-conformist, LOL.  And, maybe it is; I do love keeping my body pristine of lables.  On the other hand, I really like a tattoo or two or three on men....Go figure.

Occasionally watching LA Ink and Miami Ink on The Discovery Channel late at night gives me a very real apprecaition for body art and the reasons people have tatooing, and for what real body art is.  It can be very personal and meaningful.

But, not for me, my smile lines and worry lines are enough.

However, I did think the idea of a "John Deere" tattoo, presented earlier in this thread, was unique and charming. 

And I LOVED Bama's points, very important things to consider - about the right of self-expression balanced with the right to choose whom is best to work in certain environments.

Young Miss has talked about having a small tattoo, which is very common among young persons her age.  And, I have pointed out, that:  while she never looked for these, she has has had numerous modeling opportunities present themselves.  And that not having tatoos is a boon in her case, as it costs a lot of time and $ for make-up people to cover up tattoos that they don't want in a shoot.  So, when choosing between her and another model, she will get the job first, if she has no tattoos.  She understands and appreciates this, and therefore keeps her piercings to a very small, conservative minimum, and her tattoo waiting, until she is older and able to make such decisions with greater consideration.

"When you've changed from a teenager into a history prof at a respected university, you will have to live with youthful foolishness and bad judgement and perpetual long sleeves."

I do disagree with this statement.  In the up-coming generation, reasonable tattoos will represent something different then they did to generations past.  Reasonable tattoos will not necessarily be something to be covered.  However, what is "reasonable" will have to be taken into consderation. 

I'm just glad I don't have any tattoos, myself.  Seriously.  Think I would tire of them.

Last edited on Thu Feb 21st, 2008 06:22 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Thu Feb 21st, 2008 05:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I was driving home on the freeway this afternoon from my weekly day of working at the Drum.  I usually drive along the coast but had run some other errands.  There it was a huge sign on the side of the freeway .  Laser removal of Tattoos and a website listed.  Thought, hmmm must be big business and big money maker.

Susan

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Current time is 05:43 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1846 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 28 queries executed.