Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

American Indian Day - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Mar 12th, 2008 03:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Johan you said exactly what I had been trying to say.  I have mostly read about Plains Indians and Indians of the Southwest especially the Navajo.  Growing up in California we studied the Southwest Indians in school.  Of course many stereotypes were taught to us .  I have continued my love of those Indians and have visited the Navajo Reservation many times. 

If you have not read Kit Carson and the Indians read it .  It deals with many of the issues you mentione.  One of the themes stressed is the "Indian" is not one group. 

I always  wondered if the Lakota in Dances were actually saying what we thought they were saying .  I love it that they weren't.

As much as I liked The Searchers I almost lost it a couple of months ago when I watched it for the first time since I saw it as a child.  There were Navajo women wearing Navajo traditional dress  speaking Navajo  playing Comanche .  Of course the whole thing was supose to be Texas and there was Monument Valley in the background. 

I would never whack you with a ruler.  My comment was about postings that were unreadable with multitude of errors.  I am a poor speller myself but do try to check my spelling before posting.  Besides I need you around to bust those kneecaps when I need them busted.  lol.

Susan

Last edited on Wed Mar 12th, 2008 03:30 pm by susansweet

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Mar 12th, 2008 03:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Bama , THANK YOU!!!  exactly what I was trying to say .  I love" the rules of the road",  that is a perfect description of what spelling etc. are . 

Great post.

Susan

Posted: Wed Mar 12th, 2008 10:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

I would agree on Carson's book, it is one of the few period books w/ a legitimate honest look at the Native American of the time.

I spent three years of my HS career on the Reservation CRST (Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe) in SD. What I learned was & is priceless.

When I watched Dances w/ my HS friend Ishone (Lakota was her first language, she learned English in K-3) she was laughing so hard she peed her pants. The jokes and slams on Kevin & the govt are pretty hillarious. I asked her to translate once but she just started giggling and told me it was safer not to know. Several of my teachers and fellow students were extras, my best friends father was a language & cultural consultant.

It really is ironic though that I believe the most balanced and honest view of the Native American came from Louis L'amour.

Found out recently that my 1st grade teach was one of the last of her kind, she would wack you on the knuckles w/ an old wooden pointer if you sassed back, made bad spelling errors on the chalk board, or god forbid picked up and used a pencil or pen w/ your left hand. She would spank kids in the classroom, but IIRC the most common punishment was to stand against the blackboard w/ your hands in your hip pockets and your nose holding up a piece of paper. Funny at first; but it got old real fast. No one EVER got sent to the principals office; he was a pushover. Things have changed a wee bit. IIRC she had started teaching in a one room classroom in the late 30's. She refused to retire, my mother says the state mandatory retired her in 82 or so and I think she died a year or so later.

My mother was a special ed teach for thirty years, my better half teached in a "Special Needs" classroom. Her students are all physically or mentally challenged; I couldn't do it and she won't be after the baby shows up.

Posted: Wed Mar 12th, 2008 10:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

God bless your mother and wife.  Working with special needs kids takes a special kind of person.  I worked with special needs kids at the high end.  I taught gifted kids for 20 years.  Little kids that knew a lot but didn't know how they knew it.  Had a sense of humor that was unreal but used it sometimes at the wrong time.  Kids that were so adult one minute and then next sooo immmature.  I loved the challenge everyday .  Bright kids some of them no motivation , others highly motivated. 

What an amazing experience you had Johan.  How lucky you were . 

Wow you had an interesting first grade teacher too.  I started teaching during the period corporal punishment was allowed.  I used it the first year I taught .  I was young and doing what others told me to do.  I hated it .  My third year I was teaching kindergarten and one of my kids was on my last nerve with his behavior.  I said to him, "Otis, do I have to spank you?  I have had to give anyone a spanking in months.  If I have to I will and it will make me cry."  He was such a cute kid, a little slow .  He looked at me with serious brown eyes and said ," Nope don't want you to cry."   He straightened up .  I soon learned there was the look, and other punishments that worked well .   No more spankings or other such punishments.  Never used the paper with the nose on the wall , Did have a time out chair with a timer .  Also the kid that had soo much energy use to at least one a day have to run to the wall and back.  Got the extra energy out and he was able to work again.

Oh and the spitter .  He had to spit til he couldn't spit anymore. 

Susan

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Mar 13th, 2008 12:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Ed I guess he had a point to make!!!

Susan

Posted: Thu Mar 13th, 2008 01:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
ole

Mana: 

Bama: I'm a tad older than you, and in high school there was no corporal punishment except to tell your father. Had your shop teacher tried that schtick on one of the Donovan or MacDonald or Heinemann boys, he'd be shopping for a bridge.

This was in a decidedly rural area in an era when the worst thing you could do to a kid was to complain to his father. No teacher touched a kid, ever. Some dropped out when they couldn't stomach school any more, but no kid ever challenged a teacher in my six years of high school. (That's a joke, son.)

ole

Posted: Thu Mar 13th, 2008 02:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Ole.. walk down the halls of a school today , Much Much different .. Kids will do and say almost anything to an adult from flat out lie and worse. I am a youth sponsor and expressed my concerns to a parent and he chewed me out for bothering him with it, another wanted me to fix her kid for her.

I fear we have hijacked this thread BIG time

Posted: Thu Mar 13th, 2008 02:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Aw c'mon Ole, I figured you for a Senior just this year! I wouldn't say you were a day over 81... err 18. Ole... where did you get that brick bat, you know I was kidding right? Please put that down, I was only... WHAP

Ok teaaachor Iy'll bo good nowwwww... ouch.

Just kidding, Ole would never wail on me w/ a brick bat; he'd just bribe my wife to clobber me w/ her skillet o doom which is far more frightening I might add.

Posted: Thu Mar 13th, 2008 02:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Nah younglobo we just need to keep to the theme. I owe the Apache HUGE for getting me out of jury duty. It was a rape case and defence asked me what I thought should be done to rapists. My reply: "I believe we should follow the example of the Apache."

Judge wanted me to expound; I did and suffice it to say the defence didn't want me on the jury. I can't imagine why; all it entailed was the guilty, a stick covered in honey and an anthill.

Posted: Thu Mar 13th, 2008 02:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Now that is a good excuse for getting off jury duty Johan .  I like the idea though , would be a good punishment.  I can just imagine what all the others in the room were thinking !!!! 

The first jury case I was called to was the murder by shotgun of two 14 year old girls walking down a canyon road.  It was the penalty phase of the trial.  I was a nervous wreck sitting there facing the guy .  My boy friend at the time told me to tell the court when they asked me that I believed they should "fry the bast*rd.!"   I told him I couldn't say that .  So instead I paraphased it To I think anyone that harms a child should be put to death.  I was dismissed . 

Susan

Posted: Mon Mar 17th, 2008 06:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
younglobo

Mana: 

susan, johan.. what a better and safer world we would live in if your examples were used in real life.

Current time is 12:14 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1845 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 27 queries executed.