Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Hollywood History - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Mar 25th, 2008 04:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
41st Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Fan the book discussion group read this book and had Russell Bond as a guest when we were discussing it.  He said the Disney verison was the Swashbuckling verision.  There is an option out on his book to make a film.  He said he would keep in touch and let us know how it is going. 

The book is one of the best I have read.  The Disney film did get me interested as a kid in Andrews Raiders.  When I traveled east I followed the raiders but went from Chatanooga to Atlanta.  Visited the graves in National Cemetery, went to Ringold and Tunnel Hill, Visited the museum  to see the General and finally saw the Texas in Atlanta.   Soon I am going down to Fallbrook here in California to see Pittinger 's grave. 

Susan

Posted: Tue Mar 25th, 2008 08:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

Cleburne:
  well researched book  was released last year that studies this event in far greater detail. It is  called Stealing the General: The Great Locomotive Chase and the First Medal of Honor by Russell S. Bonds.

I read that fascinating book, so I rented the DVD of Fess Parker's movie from Netflix and could hardly bare to watch it because of Parker's really bad acting and the way the story was "Disneyfied" for family viewing. It is as if Disney made a family version of the Battle of Antietam. Just one example, in the movie nobody was captured, held in dungeon-like conditions, hung and then rehung because they didn't die the first time.

Well, as  a big Buster Keaton fan I've watched his version of the story several times - once in a large theatre with a live pianist. The line 'if you lose this war, don't blame me' cracks the audience up every time.

I'll have to read the Bonds book now.

Posted: Tue Mar 25th, 2008 08:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
43rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Kernow , you will find it a totally different story than the Keaton one which I love because I am a Big Buster Keaton fan. 

The story takes place in Georgia but Keaton filmed his movie in Oregon.  He actually used Oregon national guard for the military .  The two trains that collide had to work the first time as they were real trains .  No magic computers back then. 

My favorite part is when he is stilling on the drivers and the train starts to leave.  Cracks me up everytime. 

Rush right out and get the Russell Bond Book it is sooooo wonderful. 

Susan

Posted: Tue Mar 25th, 2008 01:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Susan, you actually met Bonds! What a thrill! I imagine he is a very interesting person. Now that I've brought up his book, I am tempted to reread it, because I'm facing some space limitations at the moment and can't just keep buying more and more books. So rereading past favorites is an occupation now. Besides everytime I read one again I learn more and have a different perspective.

The drive you mention from Chattanooga to Atlanta is so beautiful and filled with Civil War history every single mile. Too bad there are so dang many eighteen wheelers on the road competing for space and attention, disturbing the peace and beauty. Just think of the cast of characters who marched that area...Cleburne, Hardee, Wheeler, Johnston, Hood, Sherman, Stoneman, Hooker, Howard, Thomas, Polk, McPherson...on and on. The latter two died there as did thousands of others.

Speaking of Buster Keaton's movie, I was reading reviews of Fess Parker's movie at Netflix and several reviewers did, in fact, mention how much better Keaton's version was. Now I have to see that one.

Next we'll have to figure out who we would cast in the various roles when Bonds' movie is filmed. I say Christian Bale for James Andrews.

Posted: Tue Mar 25th, 2008 04:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
45th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Fan.  I met Russell Bond on line, not in person.  This was the online book discussion.  The one that is associated with Civil War Muster .  Basecat arranged for him to join us and Bond did for two of the discussions. 

When I drove the route I did not know that much about the Civil War, it was my first year of studying the war.  I need to go back and learn more. 

You will love the Buster Keaton film but don't expect it to follow the real story at all.  It doesn't .  It just is such a well made silent film with one of the grand masters of comedy . 

Susan

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Mar 26th, 2008 12:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
47th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Bama, I so agree with you, plus there are important side trips to Andersonville Prison, Chickamauga Battlefield and to Stone Mountain. Just too darned much to do in a limited amount of time.

Posted: Wed Mar 26th, 2008 12:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
48th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

Susan - Glad to know you are also a fan. I will definitely add the Bond book to my ever-expanding list (and here's me thinking that it would be booze and women that would bankrupt me). I showed 'The General' to some of my friends a while back. Whilst they enjoyed it, one said that its only problem was it making him cheer for the Confederates.

Bama & Cleburne - So tempting...

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Mar 26th, 2008 06:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
50th Post
David White

Mana: 

Surprised no one added this story from a few days ago to this link, since it is right up the alley of the premise:

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/10mosthistoricallyinaccurate.html

Posted: Wed Mar 26th, 2008 08:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
51st Post
ole

Mana: 

We were waiting for you to provide the link, David. (Actually, thanks. I didn't know it existed. So much for my surfing skills.)

ole

Posted: Wed Mar 26th, 2008 09:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
52nd Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Hope this isn't spoiling the fun somewhat, but there is a website just for movie inaccuracies; you plug in the movie you want, and get a list of goofs.

Here's the one for Cold Mountain:

http://www.moviemistakes.com/film3868

(Of course the site address itslf is http://www.moviemistakes.com)

Posted: Wed Mar 26th, 2008 11:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
53rd Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Couldn't find this on the web-site I gave above, and it's been awhile, but if I recall correctly- in the movie Glory - the Yankee band was playing "Bonnie Blue Flag" when the 54th returned from it's first battle.

Can anyone verify that?

And, if so, better yet, can anyone explain that?

Posted: Thu Mar 27th, 2008 03:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
54th Post
David White

Mana: 

Joanie:

I can't verify it but perhaps they were playing the Jaunting Irish Car or the Irish Volunteer, thr former being the tune the Bonnie Blue Flag was based on and the latter a Federal tune set to the same melody.

Here's a full Civil War movie on the Monitor and the Merrimac everyone can watch from their computer:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2006121846056457327&q=hearts+in+bondage&total=139&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Kind of cheesy and impressive all at the same time and I've never heard of it before.  The director Lew Ayres was the star of the original All Quiet on the Western Front

Last edited on Thu Mar 27th, 2008 03:33 pm by David White

Posted: Thu Mar 27th, 2008 03:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
55th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Dave, thanks we had a speaker at our Round Table that did a wonderful presentation on the Monitor.  He showed a clip from this movie which I would say no one in the group had ever heard of .  I have been trying to find a copy ever since. 

Posted: Thu Mar 27th, 2008 04:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
56th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

David,

Hey, I like a little cheesy now and then. Especially with an impertinent chardonnay.

Actually, I thought that was a pretty entertaining flick. What I want to know is how they got the facial hair looking better in 1936 than they did for Gettysburg in 1993.

Good job. Thanks.

Posted: Thu Mar 27th, 2008 05:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
57th Post
46th Georgia

Mana: 

Susan,

You can order a copy of "Hearts in Bondage" from the National Civil War Naval Museum at Port Columbus. I believe it cost $14.00. Go to the web site at http://www.civilwarnavalmuseum.com. On the main page, scroll down and there will be a picture of the dvd cover and a link to order the movie.

Posted: Thu Mar 27th, 2008 10:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
58th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Thanks Georgia I may have to do this.  It could be my movie share at the Drum Barracks book group .  We share a snip of a movie and tell why we like it. 

I will check into it. 

Susan

Posted: Thu Mar 27th, 2008 11:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
59th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

This fits in with "Hollywood History", if not exactly the spirit of the thread.

AMC shows re-runs of it's Movies that Shook the World documentary series at 7:00 am on Thursday mornings.  This morning, they covered D. W. Griffith's The Birth of a Nation.  I thought it was excellent, thought-provoking, and educational, and urge people here to try to catch it.  There is a mesmerizing black-and-white interview with Griffith - just the visual is amazing - in which he and the interviewer  obscure each other in clouds of smoke as they puff away on cigarettes, and Griffith talks about his father, the Confederate Colonel, in an accent that sounds anything but Southern., and tries to justify using "The Klansman" as the subject of his film.

The overwhelming fallout that the film had on American Society and cinematography is covered in as much depth as the time allows.

Griffith's subsequent failures in film and society, his descent into alcohalism, and his death as "basically, a penniless bum" are covered at the end.

I've been trying to find the next time it will run, but the AMC website isn't cooperating with me.

Anyway, I thought it was really, really well done.  Will try to find out when it is showing next and post that piece of info here.

Last edited on Fri Mar 28th, 2008 12:02 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Fri Mar 28th, 2008 01:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
60th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Joannie, I would love to see that.

Current time is 04:12 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4379 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 27 queries executed.