Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Summer Travel - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed May 21st, 2008 11:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
TimK

Mana: 

I'm just curious - has the price of gasoline and the talk of a looming recession caused anybody to change their travel plans this summer?

Posted: Thu May 22nd, 2008 12:56 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

no. we are going to the beach the weekend after my birthday. we planned this back at Christmas. we wont eat out but once or twice while we are there because of the rising gas prices but we are still going.

Posted: Thu May 22nd, 2008 01:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Cutting back on events I'll be attending; though to be honest that has more to do with $10k in medical bills than the "looming" recession.

Posted: Thu May 22nd, 2008 01:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ole

Mana: 

Just wait until those boogers are ready for college!

ole

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu May 22nd, 2008 02:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

im already lookin at colleges. i think that is freakin my parents out. ive already ruled out anything outside of NC unless i get a scholarship and ive ruled out Duke. nothing wrong with Duke if you like it but you get a bad reputation for going there, plus you pay two arms and a leg for one year of tuition.

Posted: Thu May 22nd, 2008 02:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

"...nothing wrong with Duke if you like it but you get a bad reputation for going there"

That's a "bad" reputation I'd love to have.

Posted: Thu May 22nd, 2008 03:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
TimK

Mana: 

I see where American Airlines just added a $15 fee for checking a bag. They are blaming the cost of fuel for the fee. I'm just wondering where the line is that people won't cross for travel. It is getting closer for me every day.

Posted: Thu May 22nd, 2008 03:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Taking the train this summer to an event instead of Flying as it is so much cheaper.

Susan

Posted: Thu May 22nd, 2008 11:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Ugghhh! And so much longer, too. When my wife and I went to Alaska from North Carolina, we took Amtrak's air-rail program. We rode the train from Greensboro to Seattle. Took 3 1/2 days. Took sponge baths out of the sink in the sleeper car. Perpetually behind schedule. Doppler effect at all RR crossings. Clackety-clackety-clackety, etc.

The flip side, of course, is that you get to see so much more of the country from a train. You get a better feel for the changing geography — and the vast dimensions — of this country from a train window. Another bonus: I guess there's no such thing as train lag.

Sidebar: We flew from Seattle to Anchorage. It was in July, and our flight left Seattle at 9 p.m. When we arrived in Anchorage a few hours later, the midnight sun was still high in the sky. Even though I knew that was going to happen, it was still a little unsettling to experience it. Good thing my brother greeted us with some cheap wine.

Anyway, hope you have a great trip. Take lots of pictures.

Posted: Thu May 22nd, 2008 03:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Pvt.  The train ride is 48 hours about.  I am riding coach no sleeping car.  Got a good deal on the price .  It sure helps to be a senior .  The train goes right though the Glorietta Pass battle site.  I am so looking forward to this.  I know it will be long ride but I have always wanted to do this.  If I was going all the way cross country that would be a different thing.  Carolina to Washington is quite a train ride.  Wow. 

I will have my camera , my ipod and my book.  I am so tired of being cramped in an airplane taking all day to get to where I am going .  Having to change three times to get there also.  Then they raise the price higher and higher each time.  Charge you to check bags but you can't carry on liquids  etc etc.  So decided to see what the train could do.  I know it is longer but I can get up and walk , go to the lounge car etc. 

Will let you know how it is .  Did decide not to take my laptop though.

Susan

Posted: Thu May 22nd, 2008 05:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Bama don't have to worry about food car . I will have to have food with me for the train trip.  I will carry a small cooler as I am having lapband surgery in July.  that means on the trip I will have small containers of the food I need to eat .  Only thing I will have to restock is water .  I am hoping that the train won't be too crowded and will be comfortable on the trip from Los Angeles to Galesburg.  I am really looking forward to this trip .  Been a long time since I rode the train .

Susan

Posted: Thu May 22nd, 2008 08:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

Trains are my preferred form of travel. They're neither as dull as motorways, nor as clinical as aeroplanes. I can sit back with an audiobook and watch the countryside roll past. Bliss.

One of my favourite (non-ACW) memories of my holiday last year was seeing Manhattan from the train. I'd really like to take the coast-to-coast trip one day.

Posted: Thu May 22nd, 2008 08:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

Bama46 wrote: surly staff, slow, never on time, dirty, filthy windows, stinky bathrooms, inedible food,
Well, at least I wouldn't get too homesick.

Posted: Fri May 23rd, 2008 04:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Yep , I rode the train over to see my aunt in Arizonia.  Conductor dropped me off in the middle of the night.  Had to hope my aunt or uncle would be there to pick me up. They were both there. 

I also rode the greyhound to Oklahoma a couple of times and one summer went to Gunnison Colorado on the greyhound to do a melodrama in Crested Butte.  That was a bus ride to and from Colorado to remember. I still enjoy telling the stories of the bus rides.

Susan

Current time is 07:17 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4561 seconds (7% database + 93% PHP). 33 queries executed.