Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Comfort Food - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Nov 7th, 2008 10:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
81st Post
ole

Mana: 

Geez! And here I thought the making of scrapple was the second-most disgusting thing I've ever heard. (The first is chitling.) Don't worry ladies, there are places in the far east that eat the brains of live monkeys. It would take more than scrapple and head cheeze to make me hurl.

Fedreb: Sounds very much like the pasties (pah-stees)that used to be the staple of the Michigan miner/lumberjack. A burrito-like concoction of meat, potatoes, onions and rutabagoes. An altogether tasty, nutritious meal. Can't find them around here, but one of these days I'm going to find a recipe and make up a batch.

When I lived in Michigan, I could occasionally find a couple in the freezer case. Good stuff. And, if I'm not mistaken, it was a traditional food brought over from Wales. (That was comfort food.)

My oldest brother likes lutefisk. I can do without it so, even in the same family, we can differ in what we consider to be comfort food.

ole

Last edited on Fri Nov 7th, 2008 10:52 pm by ole

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 12:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
82nd Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Being a good ole southwestern southern boy I like good ole southern food such as: Fried Chicken w/homemade mashed potatoes and gravy, Chicken and dumplings, spicy southwestern potato salad, slow cooked chili, fried okra, chicken fried steak, pot roast(not yankee pot roast thank you LOL), smoked brisket, ribs, blackberry cobbler, fresh hot cherry pies, fried catfish with hushpuppies, fried taters w/ onions, salmon patties, potato pancakes, pork chops, biscuits and gravy, fresh corn on the cob with butter, and of course mac and cheese.....geez I'm hungry now LOL!

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 01:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
83rd Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Ole,

What exactly is lutefisk? I've heard of it, but don't know anything about it, like what it is for starters. I've always heard it in a negative sort of way, too. Just curious.

Pam

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 02:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
84th Post
ole

Mana: 

Pam:

Lutefisk is much similar to self-flagellation. It is dried salt cod that had been soaked in lye to dissolve the bones.  So. If you decide to boil your excess latex gloves  and soak them in butter when they've finally melted, you have lutefisk.

I like to think of the stuff as an annual reminder of why my people left Norway in the first place. It's really not all that bad. Mix a dollop of snot with some thoroughly cooked up rubber bands, pour melted butter over it, and you have lutefisk. This is not your basic fish and chips.'

Like scotch. Ir's an a squired taste. On the other hand, we have lefse and fatigman. Lefse is a potato pancake,. Almost a quesada, but with butter and sugar, fit for Odin!  I'm punting here, but fatigman is a cream soup. When I say cream, I mean cream! Whipping cream cooked up with some glop that thickens it and clogs your arteries just thinking about it. And then there is fruit soup. Have forgotten the name for it, but it is an actual soup with raisins and currants and stuff like that in a heavy syrup.

We did eat some disgusting things when I was very young. But the cream soup and the fruit soup did not imprint. Nor did the lutefisk. This sort of thing was holiday trappings.  Biggest bro got imprinted. I did not.

As an aside, if you cook lutefisk in a pot, that pot can never again be used for ordinary cooking. Big bro has the pot. And he uses it. It's just an ordinary enameled steel pot. But it has, and will ever have, only one use. I think he keeps it in the garage when it is not needed.

If I'd ask him, we call him Bud, his name is Conraed and his wife calls him Connie,, he'd tell me to stuff it. Anyone else have a big brother?

ole

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 02:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
85th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

pamc153PA wrote:Ole, the first time some doctor looks at my DNA and tells me I have to avoid ice cream, I'll be looking for a new doctor.

I kind of like "all things in moderation" idea, except when it comes to chocolate, then there is no such thing as moderation.

Pam

when i was a kid i loved ice cream, the about two years ago i discovered that i have a milk allergy and so therefore no more ice cream. im alright if milk is cooked in something but i can no loner have cereal and milk, or ice cream or yogurt or anything of that nature. 

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 04:57 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
86th Post
ole

Mana: 

Girl: You ain't 25. So you are a kid. Don't give us that "when I was a kid." And you don't have to be a kid to love ice cream. If the DQ were still open, I'd be down there for a banana-spilt right bout NOW.

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 12:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
87th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Ole, your description of lutefisk is completely disgusting, but hilarious.  There is nothing like the voice of experience.  I looked up chitterlings before I put the cookbook away yesterday.  OMG is that disgusting, too!  Out of a sense of decency I decided not to post the recipe.  I think lutefisk and chitterlings tie for first place in the "too horrible to contemplate" category.  Along with headcheese, those two are starting to make scrapple look like a gormet treat.

Last edited on Sat Nov 8th, 2008 12:24 pm by izzy

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 02:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
88th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Ole, that was about what I heard about lutefisk, with some terrific embellishments that made it sound even more disgusting than I first imagined. I'd hate to meet your older brother.

Dixie, can you get any of that lactose-free ice cream? I know they make it, at least around here in PA, because my father-in-law is lactose intolerant, and he's an ice cream fiend. It doesn't taste exactly like regular, but I think it might be better than NO ice cream.

Oh, and by the way, Ole, I'd be up for a peanut buster parfait at the DQ, though if you twisted my arm (a little) I'd do the banana split, with wet walnuts, not peanuts (I used to work at a DQ when I was in high school!).

Pam

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 03:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
89th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Wow! Peanut butter parfait at DQ. I used to have one or two every time we came on home leave.  (No other country that I know of has the DQ peanut butter parfait...maybe Canada.)I was much younger then and could afford the indulgence. Now, I'd have to think twice before I had one now. It does bring back happy memories.

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 04:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
90th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

I work with a guy from Kenya and his "comfort " food is welllll.......

Goat...roasted goat...and not just meat...heart, lungs, trachea, liver, intestines, brains, eyes....pretty much everything but the skin and bones.
Oh and of course one must have barbecue sauce right? welll.... in his country that is a mixture of bile and blood:shock:

And as a side dish we get clabbered milk with goat's blood=+-

And as if that wasn't yummy enough...part of the ritual involves killing the goat yourself via a technique I'll simply refer to as chinning the goat with a knife)(90

in fact he told us that once when he and his cousin first came to the U.S. they had the cops called on them for trying to slaughter a goat in their apartment bathtub...it seems the neighbors heard all commotion and thought something awful was occurring next door...a suspicion that was not allayed when my friend answered the door covered in blood and wearing only his boxer shorts:cool:...needless to say it took a bit of explaining to convince the police that they were not having a voodoo ritual or some such. This took place in a small town in Kansas....he had to move soon after that.)__

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 04:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
91st Post
TimK

Mana: 

My...look how far we have come from a "hot roast beef sandwich". This has gone from comforting to disturbing in recent posts. Just goes to show you that one man's fertilizer is another man's feast.

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 04:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
92nd Post
izzy

Mana: 

You never know.  If you get hungry enough there's no telling what might get added to the menu.  I was in Egypt years ago.  There was roast goat on the banquet table.  I would have tried some but the darned thing was skinned head to toe, roasted, and positioned with its legs tucked under (like they do in the pasture while chewing their cud) with its head up staring at me.  I passed it by.

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 05:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
93rd Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

I'm not sure why we're stuck on goat, but both Indian and Puerto Rican cuisine uses goat meat, and in the right sauce or stew, it's not any more gamey than, say, rabbit. Not that I have ever eaten rabbit much, only once. But goat is not bad (did I just say that??). I tend to eat more chicken and fish, not as a personal statement against red meat, just as personal preference. Though I do get a real craving for a hamburger or a good juicy steak every now and again. And I love veal, which is hard to get nowadays. My sister is vehemently anti-veal, so I make sure to tell her every time I have it, and how good it was. . . that's what sisters are for!

Pam 

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 05:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
94th Post
izzy

Mana: 

I wonder what will be on the menu when Grandma Obama comes to visit at the White House?

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 08:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
95th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

his dad is Kenyan so see my previous post for a glimpse at the possible menu......

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 09:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
96th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

ole wrote: Girl: You ain't 25. So you are a kid. Don't give us that "when I was a kid." And you don't have to be a kid to love ice cream. If the DQ were still open, I'd be down there for a banana-spilt right bout NOW.

i am not a kid, im 15 and1/2. i am no  longer a child, i can drive with anybody thats had their license for 5 years and in two and a half years ill be able to vote

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 09:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
97th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

pamc153PA wrote:Dixie, can you get any of that lactose-free ice cream? I know they make it, at least around here in PA, because my father-in-law is lactose intolerant, and he's an ice cream fiend. It doesn't taste exactly like regular, but I think it might be better than NO ice cream.

yeah we got it down here but i prefer not to eat it. im a health nut, i really dont want any pointless calories when i really dont need them, and i dont eat too much of the foods ive named off unless i have a good reason too, (except the bbq and peanut butter)

Last edited on Sat Nov 8th, 2008 09:39 pm by Dixie Girl

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 09:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
98th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

For all you fellow southerners, Chicken Catchatore, italian hunters stew, incredible.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 09:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
99th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

For all you fellow southerners, Chicken Catchatore, italian hunters stew, incredible.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 11:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
100th Post
ole

Mana: 

i am not a kid, im 15 and1/2. i am no  longer a child, i can drive with anybody thats had their license for 5 years and in two and a half years ill be able to vote

Girl: Sorry to disappont, but at 15.5 years, you are a kid. I have grandchildren and socks older than that. But we still love you.

ole

Current time is 10:04 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2205 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 27 queries executed.