Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Comfort Food - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 11:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
101st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Confession time:

I love goat meat. Seriously. When I went o college down here many decades ago, my sister and brother in law raised and slaughtered there own. Used to have a top-notch goat stew (made exactly the same as beef stew but using goat). Not gamey at all, but I seem to recall you had to mix some pork or pork fat into it when you gind it since it's so lean. Good stuff.

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 11:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
102nd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Concure with you Ole concernning your post regarding the DG. Have aches and pains older than the Dixie Girl. However DG, glad to see your interest in history.
As an aside, HUGE, LSU in overtime with Alabama.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 11:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
103rd Post
ole

Mana: 

Being a good ole southwestern southern boy I like good ole southern food such as: Fried Chicken w/homemade mashed potatoes and gravy,
Captain, I would be eternally in your debt if you would refrain from using my name that way. Correct: ol'. Incorrect: ole. As in Ol' Miss. Meanwhile, fried chicken with mashed potatoes and chicken gravy sound very fine. THE mom (a northerner) could fry up chicken every bit as good your mom. And she could make gravy from a moonbeam. (I was lucky enough to get her black-iron fryer when she passed. Trust me. Nothing like it in the world. Get 'er smokin and throw anything in it and it comes out crispy and nicely done.)

One of the comfort foods I forgot to mention was creamed chicken on bread. When there wasn't enough chicken to go around, she'd make this gravy with chunks of chicken. Pour it on stale bread and that was supper. But that is what comfort food is. We never got a steak or a pork chop. But what that woman could do with gravy and bread is THE definition of comfort food. (Even today, a steak is just something I like to have now and then, but it doesn't come close to a good meat loaf or fried chicken.)

When pestering her for recipes and such, she would say, "You should have been here when I was a bride." Really ought to have asked THE dad how bad it was. Now he was a bad cook. When THE mom passed, I had to teach him how to make a meatloaf. Fortunately, he had some daughters around and he really loved ham and fried chicken. Even in that little town, you could get fried chicken.

And this is middle-America talking. I didn't get to taste a pizza until I was 19. I never saw a shrimp or a crab-leg or a lobster. So. Little wonder that I get to rave over a really good meat loaf or a hot roast-beef sandwich.

And, by the way, by far the finest meat-loaf I ever had was with that aging gentleman from Nashville. What was his name? Larry something? And now my brain has lost the name of the town. There was a battle there and it involved Forrest. Seems it was just north or just south of Spring Hill. (Nevermind. I'll think of it tomorrow.)

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 11:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
104th Post
ole

Mana: 

Can't resist. Went to a Chinese restaurant a few months ago with a thoroughly enjoyable gentleman who didn't eat Chinese because he had been convinced that he might be eating a cat or a puppy. We rode him like a rented horse.

But I'm not certain that I wasn't eating a cat or a puppy -- now that I think of it.

Posted: Sun Nov 9th, 2008 01:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
105th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

ole wroteGirl: Sorry to disappont, but at 15.5 years, you are a kid. I have grandchildren and socks older than that. But we still love you.

ole

well as long as you love me anyway i guess i can handle being a kid (for a little longer anyway) :cool::D:dude:

Posted: Sun Nov 9th, 2008 05:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
106th Post
ole

Mana: 

Deleted.

Last edited on Sun Nov 9th, 2008 01:58 pm by ole

Posted: Sun Nov 9th, 2008 04:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
107th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

sorry 'bout that Ole....(shouldn't it be with a capitol "o"?):D

Posted: Sun Nov 9th, 2008 04:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
108th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

javal1 wrote: Confession time:

I love goat meat. Seriously. When I went o college down here many decades ago, my sister and brother in law raised and slaughtered there own. Used to have a top-notch goat stew (made exactly the same as beef stew but using goat). Not gamey at all, but I seem to recall you had to mix some pork or pork fat into it when you gind it since it's so lean. Good stuff.
My friend keeps telling it's really good but after his description of the Kenyan method of goat cooking I've been a bit reluctant to dig in...perhaps as long as it isn't trachea or lungs I can give it a try.

Posted: Sun Nov 9th, 2008 05:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
109th Post
izzy

Mana: 

It's the Kenyan goat BBQ sauce that has me green around the gills as well as the trachea and lungs, etc.  But not to worry, I don't plan on eating at a Kenyan picnic any time soon.

Meanwhile, because of this thread, I have cooked so much food that I can't get anymore jammed into the fridge.  Yesterday I added 3 acorn squash stuffed with brown sugar, crushed pineapple, and minced apple.  I have enough food cooked up to start feeding the neighborhood.  I have to stop looking at this thread.

Posted: Sun Nov 9th, 2008 08:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
110th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

I just finished a big batch of slow cooked chili......mmmmmm spicy!

Posted: Sun Nov 9th, 2008 08:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
111th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Cpt.,

If you like spicy chile, allow me to make a suggestion. Google "Datil Pepper". I think that about the only place you can by it is in St. Augustine, but you can order it via various websites. As a guy who loves spice, I'm always on the lookout for a pepper that doesn't just overpower the taste of the dish, but can make you sweat while tasing good as well. Datil pepper fits the bill. In our pantry I have a case of Datil mustard, a case of Datil ketchup, and a case of Datil Pepper powder.

Posted: Sun Nov 9th, 2008 09:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
112th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

javal1 wrote: Cpt.,

If you like spicy chile, allow me to make a suggestion. Google "Datil Pepper". I think that about the only place you can by it is in St. Augustine, but you can order it via various websites. As a guy who loves spice, I'm always on the lookout for a pepper that doesn't just overpower the taste of the dish, but can make you sweat while tasing good as well. Datil pepper fits the bill. In our pantry I have a case of Datil mustard, a case of Datil ketchup, and a case of Datil Pepper powder.

javal, i take it you like spicy foods also,

anybody like hot chow chow? the only problem with it is its just not hot enough for me.

Posted: Mon Nov 10th, 2008 01:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
113th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Dixie Girl, if you like really, really, really HOT hot sauce, check out Matouk's Hot Pepper Sauce from Trinidad & Tabago. You may have to try very hard to find this hot sauce. I buy it in Nassau, but it is available on rare ocasions in speciality food stores. If you find it, I warn you ahead of time, be very careful when you try it. Test just a drop first.

Posted: Mon Nov 10th, 2008 01:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
114th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Captain Crow wrote: I work with a guy from Kenya and his "comfort " food is welllll.......

Goat...roasted goat...and not just meat...heart, lungs, trachea, liver, intestines, brains, eyes....pretty much everything but the skin and bones.
Oh and of course one must have barbecue sauce right? welll.... in his country that is a mixture of bile and blood:shock:

And as a side dish we get clabbered milk with goat's blood=+-

And as if that wasn't yummy enough...part of the ritual involves killing the goat yourself via a technique I'll simply refer to as chinning the goat with a knife)(90

in fact he told us that once when he and his cousin first came to the U.S. they had the cops called on them for trying to slaughter a goat in their apartment bathtub...it seems the neighbors heard all commotion and thought something awful was occurring next door...a suspicion that was not allayed when my friend answered the door covered in blood and wearing only his boxer shorts:cool:...needless to say it took a bit of explaining to convince the police that they were not having a voodoo ritual or some such. This took place in a small town in Kansas....he had to move soon after that.)__

You must be describing a Maasai tribesman. I used to live in Kenya. The rituals described  and the curdled blood are typical of the Maasai. Not all meals made of goat include all that extra stuff.

The curdled blood doesn't come from a goat, but from the neck of a cow.  The cow is not killed for that procedure. His neck is "tapped", some blood drains out, then the cow goes on about his business (trying to avoid lions and cheetahs).

I'm stunned that a Maasai would go to all that bother in Kansas. If he was going to "BBQ" the goat meat outside, why wouldn't he just slaughter the goat outside? I can't imagine cleaning up such a mess in the bathroom, but who knows? Maybe he missed fresh goat meat as much in Kansas as I missed peanut butter and Fig Newtons in Brazil.

Posted: Mon Nov 10th, 2008 04:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
115th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Went to a Civil War conference in Clovis California this week end. On the way up we stopped at an Iron Skillet for buffet lunch. On the saladbar was one of my favorite foods growing up, hominy. I had a salad that was made up mostly of hominy. Tasted so good. I haven't had any in a long while as the only way it seems I can find it around here is in the large cans that the Hispanics in the area buy to make menudo. The others ladies in the group all asked what is that white stuff on your plate.
Susan

Posted: Mon Nov 10th, 2008 04:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
116th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

My gosh! I haven't had hominy in decades. I'm amazed you can even get it in a restaurant...that is, if you are referring to the hominy that looks like giant kernals of corn and not to the Southern staple, hominy grits.

Posted: Mon Nov 10th, 2008 04:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
117th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

CleburneFan wrote: Dixie Girl, if you like really, really, really HOT hot sauce, check out Matouk's Hot Pepper Sauce from Trinidad & Tabago. You may have to try very hard to find this hot sauce. I buy it in Nassau, but it is available on rare ocasions in speciality food stores. If you find it, I warn you ahead of time, be very careful when you try it. Test just a drop first.
i love any thing hot and spicy. i might be able to find the sauce online, why do you say be very careful when i try it?? 

Posted: Mon Nov 10th, 2008 06:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
118th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

The Iron Skillet is a truck stop on Interstate 5 in the great valley of California. It is farm country.  Many people that stop in there to eat are farm workers , either hispanic or descendents of Oakies who came with the dustbowl in the 30's.  So it was truely the large white kernals of corn .  I had two servings of it.  Was not grits.  Funny how my mom kept cans of Hominy in the house and we ate it on a regular basis but she never made grits.  Didn't have grits til a few years ago.  found out I like them.

Susan

Posted: Mon Nov 10th, 2008 08:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
119th Post
calcav1

Mana: 

Sorry it took so long to chime in but I have been on a quest to try everyone else's comfort food first. Loved it all except the lutefisk which I through against the wall...and it stuck there.

Favorite comfort food - homemade tacos and enchiladas. Mom made awesome Mexican food. Browner makes chili to die for as well.

Favorite local comfort food - Slugburgers! We have a festival for the slugburger every July!

I tried goat when I was overseas too and found it much better than the roast camel. Try it next time you are in Dubai.

Captain Crow - nice description of how to cook a goat. I had a Filipino shipmate who went into great detail on how to cook a puppy. Not a dog mind you, they are too tough. You want a puppy while they are still tender.

ole - I have a brother too. I know where you are coming from.

Tom

Posted: Mon Nov 10th, 2008 08:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
120th Post
ole

Mana: 

i love any thing hot and spicy. i might be able to find the sauce online, why do you say be very careful when i try it?? 
What he probably meant is that you can easily render a $20 pot of chili inedible if you use more than a tiny bit.

It's good when the scalp sweats and the tummy is warm. It is not good when it burns your mouth so you can't actually taste what you're eating.

If all you want is the heat, you can pour it onto a bowl of grits and save a lot of money.

ole

Current time is 04:29 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2348 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 30 queries executed.