Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Idle Chit-Chat > What's everyone reading these days?

What's everyone reading these days? - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 10:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
121st Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Potter's Impending Crisis is a must to read on the events leading up to the war.  It is very readable .  I read it a couple of years ago and still go back and review it for information when I am reading another book that mentions events from the time period .  The footnotes by the way have some great information or quotes. 

Susan

Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 01:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
122nd Post
Tom Wiehle

Mana: 

I am reading the latest edition of Gettysburg Magazine, good article on the supreme court case brought by the members of the 72nd Penn. Reg.
Every time I visit Gettysburg and look at their monument I think about all that controversy involved in placing the mon. where it is.

Posted: Sat Feb 21st, 2009 08:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
123rd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Currently in the middle of A Strange and Blighted Land by Gregory Coco. I began it as a tribute to Gregory. He recently passed away after a lengthy illness. Though I never met him I encountered numerous individuals during my visits to Gettysburg who spoke very highly of him. I've especially enjoyed his numerous books on the aftermath of Gettysburg, i.e. Vast Sea of Misery. Rather than dwell on the military aspects of the battle, Coco wrote of the personal hardships the soldiers as well as the citizens endured. In conclusion, I wish I had had the opportunity to have met another Louisiana expat.

Doc C

Posted: Sun Feb 22nd, 2009 01:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
124th Post
LTBunten

Mana: 

Last edited on Thu Jul 9th, 2009 05:55 pm by LTBunten

Posted: Sun Feb 22nd, 2009 02:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
125th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

LT Bunten, I wish you the best of luck in Tennessee. We lived in Nashville five years in the late 1990s. We really loved the area and might go back there one day. How nice to be right across the street form Stones River Park!

Posted: Sun Feb 22nd, 2009 02:37 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
126th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

That porch needs a swing and a rocker . Hope you have one of each to put there so you can sit and read and either rock or swing. 

Good luck on your move.

Posted: Sun Feb 22nd, 2009 05:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
127th Post
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

Greetings All! I've been away for a little while, thanks to my PC picking up a nasty trojan that took me a while to finally eradicate. I'd been careless in allowing my anti-virus software to lapse, but I've learned my lesson! (And to think that a piece of freeware -- AdAware by Lavasoft -- was able to clean up what Symantic and McAfee couldn't!)

But all's well that ends well, and after reading about what everybody else is reading, I feel almost ashamed to mention that I am currently in the midst of a...*gasp*...romance.

After reading several excellent mysteries (including the 4th book in the Barker/Llewellyn series), several more days spent transcribing some biographical info on the members of an artillery battery raised, in part, in my home town (Battery H, 1st Ohio Light Artillery), and some other projects (work on a novel I'm writing...just for fun, not for publication), I decided that my mind needed a break. You know, bubble gum for the brain cells.

So, I opted for a lightweight historical romance. Besides, reading it was much more fun than watching the races today.

Posted: Sun Feb 22nd, 2009 05:37 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
128th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

So give , what's the title and author??

Posted: Sun Feb 22nd, 2009 02:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
129th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

kj3553 wrote: So, I opted for a lightweight historical romance. Besides, reading it was much more fun than watching the races today.
What? You didn't want to watch Kyle "Rowdy" Bush win yet another race...or two?:D

Posted: Sun Feb 22nd, 2009 02:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
130th Post
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

So give , what's the title and author??

Sorry, wasn't sure if anyone would be interested. :P It's called Almost a Bride, by Jane Feather. It's set in England, during the time of the French Revolution. Jack Fortescue, Duke of St. Jules, has a score to settle with the man who betrayed his sister (who was living in France at the time) to the Revolution which in turn led to her death. So he's hounded the man (a ne'er do well who gambled away his fortune) and driven him to suicide (the only honorable thing to do when one can't pay up on one's gambling debts), inherited this man's estates (the man had wagered them at the gaming tables...and lost), and has now married the man's half-sister. Naturally, the half-sister has no idea what has really happened, only that she's entered into a "marriage of convenience." Also naturally, Jack does not expect to fall in love with Arabella. But this is high romance, so we know (without even peeking at the back of the book) that and that love shall triumph, and Jack and Arabella will live happily ever after!

What? You didn't want to watch Kyle "Rowdy" Bush win yet another race...or two?

LOL! Oh, spare me! I'm just thankful that there was a hockey game on TV I could watch instead. It was Hockey Day in Canada, and CBC was carrying a triple-header. I live close enough to Windsor, Canada to be able to watch Canadian television. The best game was the Montreal-Ottawa game, because Montreal won and I've been a die-hard Canadiens fan since I was in high school. :)  

Last edited on Sun Feb 22nd, 2009 02:27 pm by kj3553

Posted: Mon Apr 27th, 2009 01:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
131st Post
Mr Hess53

Mana: 

I'm reading a bio about Yogi Berra

Posted: Mon Apr 27th, 2009 02:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
132nd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Right now I'm reading two books. One is Kenneth W. Noe's "Perryville: This Grand Havoc of Battle", an outstanding work on the above-mentioned battle.  I am also reading "Yankee Cavalrymen: Through the Civil War with the Ninth Pennsylvania Cavalry" by John W Rowell. This book, published in 1971 is hard to find new. I had to buy a used library copy I was lucky to get.

The Ninth Pennsylvania Cavalry Regiment, also known as the Lochiel Cavalry, fought throughout the war in the Western Theater including at Perryville. As a fan of Major General Cleburne, I am killing two birds with one stone as the Ninth often fought in battles in which Cleburne also participated  such as Perryville and Chickamauga.

While other Pennsylvania cavalry regiments fought in the Eastern Theater, the Ninth saw no action in the east, unless one considers Northa nd South Carolina to be the east or southeast.

Posted: Tue Apr 28th, 2009 03:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
133rd Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Fan I am reading Noe's book on Perryville too .  It is the book discussion book this month for Civil War chat.  Ever think about joining the chat?

Susan

Posted: Tue Apr 28th, 2009 12:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
134th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

What a coincidence that we are reading the same book! I really like Noe's manner of organzing his writing. I've been plagued by being extra busy lately and can read only a few pages at a time--extra frustrating because I don't want to put down the book for a minute. I do have all the maps colored in.:D

How do you participate in a book chat? I don't have any idea how to go about it. It sounds like fun, if I can figure it out.

Posted: Tue Apr 28th, 2009 04:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
135th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Fan check out the site posted here on Joe's website.  It is under book chat .  Register to join , follow the instructions and we meet on Sunday evenings a 9 pm eastern time.  I am the moderator of the discussion.  For this book we do two chapters a week.  The schedule is listed in the posting on here .  Last about an hour.  Good group of people and interesting discussion. 

Susan

Posted: Tue Apr 28th, 2009 04:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
136th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

http://www.civilwarinteractive.com/forums/forum6/1893.html

Posted: Tue Apr 28th, 2009 04:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
137th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Thanks Joe, that was too easy.  I was brain dead how to tell Fan how to find it.  Guess I need coffee.

Susan

Posted: Tue Apr 28th, 2009 07:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
138th Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

I'm working my way through Manisha Sinha's The Counter-Revolution of Slavery: Politics and Ideology in Antebellum South Carolina.

Posted: Fri May 1st, 2009 12:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
139th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

That sounds very heavy duty.  I am as i said reading Perryville by Noe , and reading The Lincolns in the White House by Packard.  Inbetween I take a break and am working my way though the Tamar Myers Penn Dutch mysteries.  Have four more to go.  They become a change of pace after reading the Civil War Material.

Yesterday I spent the morning in doctors offices so I took the new Blue and Gray on Battle of Richmond with me.  I read most of that .  This is a battle I did not know anything about so was interested in reading it.  I also have the Perryville one to go though before June 17 when I get on the plane to Louisville. 

In the pile are  Robertson's books on Stonewall Jackson and A. P. Hill .  for book discussion groups.  Also need to read Wiley's Swords Mountains touch by Fire as the Western Civil War Round Table Conference this year has him as the keynote speaker. 

Susan

Posted: Fri May 1st, 2009 04:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
140th Post
chrisfingle

Mana: 

Pam,

I am reading "NOTHING BUT VICTORY" right now more than halfway through it, and it is fast becoming a favorite. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I am.

If you are still in the mood for another good diary/journal/memoir I just finished reading "SOLDIER LIFE - MANY MUST FALL" and highly recommend it too.

Current time is 09:05 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  ...  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Page Last Page  
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Idle Chit-Chat > What's everyone reading these days?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2191 seconds (16% database + 84% PHP). 25 queries executed.