Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Is that a one? It IS a one! - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 07:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Today I took a rare excursion outside the house. Down my long, empty rural road to the "highway" with the only gas station in town. And there I saw it......REGULAR: $1.99. A one was the first number!! When gas first hit $2.00, I was sure we'd never see that again. Will it last? Nah. But I'll enjoy it while I can.

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 07:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Recent reductions have just dropped the price here to the equivalent of just under $7 a gallon.
It may soon be cheaper to ship my car to the States, fill it up, and ship it back!

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 08:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
izzy

Mana: 

Good grief, Fedreb!  I hope you can walk to work or take mass transit.  $7/gallon will eat you alive in short order.

javal1:  Lucky you!  Western NC is $2.19 per gallon.  It has been slowly coming down.  I think the pipeline damage from the hurricane has kept costs up longer than usual.

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 08:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Izzy,
Its not really as bad as it sounds. I regularly compare with my friend in CT., she pays just over $2 and gets about 15 mpg where I pay $7 but my car does 58 mpg .In miles per dollar thats about the same

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 09:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

Hadn't thought of it like that.

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 09:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

2.49 here in Southern California. I couldn't believe I filled a friends tank Sunday on the way home from conference for under 30 dollars. I was in shock. I hope we too see under 2.00 soon .
Susan

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 10:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
ole

Mana: 

Our English Brethren:
Most of us do not have 58 mpg vehicles. I figure mine, at about 24 mpg is somewhere a little on top of the average. And then we have to figure how it is used. Take the puppy out on the open road and it does close to 30 mpg. If I'm dinkling about town, I get maybe 16 or 17.

But now, that the prices are down, are we going to forget that last summer, I paid as much as $4.50 for a gallon? OK. Everything is cool now. So we don't have to look for the next one.

I'm rather fond of Shakespeare's thingy about what fools we mortals be, but sniggling in that truism is P.T. Barnum's "There is a sucker born every minute."

Given. This is the sucker state. I'd figure I'd rather be a hoosier or a hawkeye or a puke. But I look at them and they have almost as many former governors in prison as I do. So I'll guess that I'm not personally being persecuted.

I really, really, need a nap.

Ole

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 10:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Ole:  I don't think we are going to forget how high the price of gas can get.  I won't that's for sure.  I own a large SUV, a Ford Expedition.  I bought it because I live in town and don't have a daily comute.  I generally walk rather than drive around town.

I use that big vehicle to haul my roundtable buddies on our battlefield tours.  It will seat 8 people or 6 people with luggage.  Our last round trip from NC to Perryville Battlefield in KY cost us each $13 in gas expenses.  That's not too bad. 

I also use the vehicle to haul food from MANNA Foodbank in Asheville NC to our church food pantry for distribution in our community.  That Expedition will haul 1500 pounds no problem.

It would be costly if I had to drive it everyday.  I would hate to give it up.  It is a great utility vehicle and drives like a dream.  I'm going to try to hang on to it as long as I can.  I just hope the speculators don't drive the price of gas out the roof again.

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 10:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Now that fuel prices have decreased, once again americans have (like the turtle) hid its head in his shell, no discussion of alternative energy sources, natural gas, drilling, bio fuels. Think how difficult this current economic problem would be if gasoline was in the upper $3.00 range. Out of sight out of mind - should be our congresses motto.

Doc C

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 11:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Izzy,

A Ford Expedition--at a hair over five feet tall, I'd need a ladder and a grappling hook to climb into that, and six or seven pillows to sit on to see over the steering wheel!

My favorite car was my first: a 1988 Ford Festiva. Not only was it just my size, it also got great gas mileage. Of course, you couldn't carry a roundtable membership in it, and I think the entire car weighed what yours can carry. . .

Pam

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 11:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

I figure it's just the calm before the storm. OPEC will find an excuse to drop production and folks here in the U.S. will start cranking up the gas guzzlers again. We have all got to start thinking in terms of the big picture instead our just seeing own little slice of the world. Too many people drive giant gas gulping SUV's and Hummers just because they can. They don't need them for work or to car pool...they just bought them because they were the "in" thing never thinking there would ever be a shortage or the enormous price increases we've seen recently. And now... surprise! Other developing nations such as India and China are wanting their slice of the economic pie...including fuel for their cars. Increased demand + economic competition + diminishing supply = higher prices. Bottom line-it's going to run out some day folks so we'd better be prepared or things are going to get mighty rough here in the U.S. I just pray our new President's talk of developing alternative fuels turns out to be more than just an election year promise. And now I will step off of my soapbox.......

Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 12:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

i just drive to Danville Virginia to get my gas, yesterday we paid like $1.91. its not to far from where i live to Danville and at the local Wally World (WalMart) its like $2.10

Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 01:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Mr Hess53

Mana: 

Paid $2.19 here in CT

Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 01:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Pam:  I do have to use the running board to climb in and out!  But really its not that bad.  About a week before Xmas I take parishioners on "champagne sleigh rides" to see the Xmas lights around town.  We meet at church after dark and they (not me) have a glass of champagne, then we load up, and go see the lights.  I have to perch one tiny 95 year old on thick phone books in the front seat so she can see out.  I don't think she cares about the lights though.  She usually drinks everyone else under the table.  She can polish off a bottle of champagne by herself.  When I glance over to see how she is doing during the tour, she is just sitting there with a smile on her face with her eyes shut. 

Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 01:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

izzy wrote: Pam:  I do have to use the running board to climb in and out!  But really its not that bad.  About a week before Xmas I take parishioners on "champagne sleigh rides" to see the Xmas lights around town.  We meet at church after dark and they (not me) have a glass of champagne, then we load up, and go see the lights.  I have to perch one tiny 95 year old on thick phone books in the front seat so she can see out.  I don't think she cares about the lights though.  She usually drinks everyone else under the table.  She can polish off a bottle of champagne by herself.  When I glance over to see how she is doing during the tour, she is just sitting there with a smile on her face with her eyes shut.
well at least she's having a good time +_

Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 05:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

During the height of the gas shortage I saw prices as high as $4.59. Now the lowest I've seen is $1.91

Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 06:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

Holding at 2.09 here in my part of Maryland. Remember the old story about people going reading the McDonalds signs to see the number of people served (sorry youngsters-now it just says "billions and billions" served) that is how I feel checking gas prices.

Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 07:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Very cool, Izzy! That sounds like one heck of a tour. Talk about the "spirit(s)" of the season!

Pam

Posted: Fri Nov 14th, 2008 08:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
TimK

Mana: 

I just paid $1.89 and 9/10 (how do you write that?). Believe me, that one tenth of a cent makes all the difference in the world.

Posted: Fri Nov 14th, 2008 11:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Around southeastern PA it hasn't broken below $2 yet, but it's close. Heard on the news that the lower gas prices haven't meant people are driving more again--yet--but that they are taking the savings and paying off bills or maybe having a little extra for Christmas gifts.

Pam

Current time is 08:28 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2516 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.