Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Thanksgiving dinner - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Nov 18th, 2008 04:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

It is good over rice, mashed potatoes,corn bread or biscits. Po fokes has Po ways.  If you plan to put it over something you may wish to add some water and veggies.

Posted: Wed Nov 19th, 2008 04:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Ole I agree about Garlic.  We even have a garlic festival here in California.  I went once .  Had garlic popcorn, garlic ice cream, and my friend even tried garlic wine.  We had Philly cheese steaks with garlic added. 

For years driving north on 101 when you get near Gilroy you could smell the garlic in the fields .  Loved driving that way.  You are right Garlic rules.

Susan

Posted: Wed Nov 19th, 2008 05:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

susansweet wrote: Ole I agree about Garlic.  We even have a garlic festival here in California.  I went once .  Had garlic popcorn, garlic ice cream, and my friend even tried garlic wine.  We had Philly cheese steaks with garlic added. 

For years driving north on 101 when you get near Gilroy you could smell the garlic in the fields .  Loved driving that way.  You are right Garlic rules.

Susan

garlic ice cream???? GROSS!!!!

not only does garlic not taste good, and stink, but like onions it gives you awful breath.

Posted: Thu Nov 20th, 2008 01:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
TimK

Mana: 

If somebody is good enough to take the time to fix me something to eat, I will eat it and be grateful. Unless it has mushrooms in it. I don't want to eat anything that only grows where animals...well, you know. Besides, they just taste bad.

Posted: Thu Nov 20th, 2008 01:37 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

i agree with that also Tim...i hate mushrooms.

i know it sounds like im picky but im really not. ill eat most any meat and some veggies...i couldn't live as a vegetarian, im more of the carnivore type.

Posted: Thu Nov 20th, 2008 04:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I am guessing you have never tried garlic ice cream.  It actually tasted good as did the garlic popcorn.   

Onions and mushrooms are both great in salads and other dishes. 

Posted: Thu Nov 20th, 2008 04:56 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

i have a bad allergy to dairy and so i dont eat ice cream or other dairy products and just the sound of garlic ice cream makes me never wanna eat ice cream again.

why would anybody wanna mess up popcorn and ice cream by putting garlic on it??? thats like putting sugar in grits, it just aint right

Posted: Thu Nov 20th, 2008 06:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Back to the thread , Thanksgiving dinner. I will make sure I had black olives to take to my friends' home for Thanksgivng I remember last year we didn't have any.
I should look for my Alice's Restaurant t shirt to wear on Thanksgiving.

Posted: Thu Nov 20th, 2008 02:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

susansweet wrote: Ole I agree about Garlic.  We even have a garlic festival here in California.  I went once .  Had garlic popcorn, garlic ice cream, and my friend even tried garlic wine.  We had Philly cheese steaks with garlic added. 

Susan

Just now noticed your post. We have been to Gilroy, CA and just as you say, the unique smell is noticeable miles away.

Near me, the city of DelRay Beach has a garlic fest every year with garlic cooking contests and usually a national music act to liven up the scene. It is very well attended.

I don't know about this year, however. With the economy on the skids, all the little cities around me are cutting out festivals, parades and celebrations and decorations of all kinds. The town to my immediate west has had the scrawniest Christmas tree I have ever seen in any town holiday celbration in the US in my entire life. I HATE to think what they will put up this year--IF they put up a tree at all.

Posted: Thu Nov 20th, 2008 04:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
ole

Mana: 

Will be having the kids down on the Sunday after. They'll have spent the day with their spouses' families and will no doubt be turkey'd out. Usually I get a ham, but this year, I'd like to do something different. Any suggestions?

Ole

Posted: Thu Nov 20th, 2008 06:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
TimK

Mana: 

Lasagna!!

Posted: Thu Nov 20th, 2008 06:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Ole,

A friend of mine has the traditional (for him, at least) lasagna for Thanksgiving.

Me? I'm a turkey and dressing guy, with sweet potato casserole, green beans, cranberry sauce, macaroni and cheese, finished off with a slice of pumpkin pie and Cool Whip. Lots of Cool Whip.

Posted: Thu Nov 20th, 2008 06:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
ole

Mana: 

Lasagna? No! Dear One is Sicilian and makes a killer lasagna (when I interfere and add more sausage). But daughter-in-law is Italian, as is the son-in-law, and they likely will have had at least mostaccolli for thanksgiving.

So they had their fix on Thursday. We've already done the order-in pizza, the taco table and the fresh ham. Maybe I should find my woks?

Ole

Posted: Thu Nov 20th, 2008 06:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
ole

Mana: 

...finished off with a slice of pumpkin pie and Cool Whip. Lots of Cool Whip.
Geez, Captain Clewell, and you call yourself a traditionalist? Whipped cream! With a hint of vanilla. At least Javal, with the MixMaster, will get real whipped cream on his pumpkin pie. (Sweet potato?)

Ever read the label of ingredients in Cool Whip? About 30 years ago I read the label on Coffee-Mate, to which I was addicted. I've added nothing but half and half to my coffee since. I'll take the cholesterol rather than ingesting that which, under another name or combination could make synthetic motor oil.

With you, I'm a traditionalist: turkey, sage stuffing (really. add some crumbles of breakfast sausage), candied sweet potatoes, giblet gravy, green-bean casserole ... etc. But not so much as to go for lefse, flotbod (no oomlauts on my keyboard), Rommegrot (open your veins and spoon in globules of animal fat) and lutefisk which has to swim in butter to have any taste at all.

I keep threatening to cook a goose for Christmas. Had an aunt that did that every year. No doubt her children still plague their grandchildren with that ******** goose. Tradition.

When I was considerably younger and recently single, we had a loser's club. And we'd get together on the holidays and rake up some amazing celebrations. Stuffed cornish hens with fried  oysters. Even the bad times can be good times. Just put some food on the table and all is right with the world. (It doesn't hurt to have a tub of iced beer and a glass or two of wine.)

Clarification: this was a conglomeration of those whose families were too remote to consider. Always go with the family. But if it is not possible to go home, and your family is discombobulated, it can't hurt to get together with those in the same situation. And this counts among the good times.

Memories. What was your favorite thanksgiving?

Ole

Posted: Thu Nov 20th, 2008 07:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
ole

Mana: 

Once again, I'm obliged to drive for an hour to attend the tradional Thanksgiving. There will be all the fixin's. What they/she/him/her haven't learned is how to put it all on the table, hot, at the same time. Cook up a storm, make everything super nice, but if it's cool when you get to it, it's a bummer.

And I can make an analogy here. The best generals cooked up a wonderful feast. The lesser generals did the same, but much of it was cool when served. Details.

Ole

Posted: Thu Nov 20th, 2008 10:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
36th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

If I read the ingredients of everything I ate I probably wouldn't eat anything at all. Well, not as much, anyway.

Pumpkin pie is a seasonal treat anyway — it's not like I'm dipping my hands into Cool Whip every night — so I'll takes my chances.

Favorite Thanksgiving memory: I was young and newly employed in NC, 500 miles from my family in PA, hadn't made many friends yet. One of my co-workers invited me to his house, where he and his wife prepared and served a wonderful traditional turkey dinner. Watched football games and nibbled on the bird all day. Don't get much better than that and I'll never forget their hospitality.

Posted: Thu Nov 20th, 2008 10:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
37th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

What makes Thanksgiving so special for me is this: white turkey meat comes very close to being one of my all-time favorite foods ever. Of course you can buy a turkey at any time of the year, so I could munch on it year round. Yet I only buy one a year - the Thanksgiving one of course. While I could eat it any time I wanted, I always felt that if I did, the Thanksgiving meal just wouldn't taste as good and wouldn't be so anticipated. It's self-imposed restraint (something I'm really not used to). Don't know if that makes sense to anyone but me, but it works for me.

Posted: Thu Nov 20th, 2008 11:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
38th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Most memorial Thanksgiving Dinner. My father always took us out to eat for Thanksgiving. He said it was mom's day off , but I really think he wanted to eat something good. Mom was not a cook. We started off to find a place to eat. We drove as far as Victorville California. Now we lived in Compton south of Los Angeles , that was a long way. He stopped , we ate a lovely meal then got back in the car. Now here is the fun part. Daddy said he turned the wrong way going out of the parking lot. I was a little kid , second grade what did I know. We drove til all of a sudden we were in Las Vegas. Mom didn't have a lipstick even as she always said. We stopped at drugstore to get us clean underwear and t shirts to sleep in. T

Got up the next morning and went to Boulder Day (Hoover) to see the dam. My father worked on it in the 30's . Then drove home. It was a great trip for my brother and I . My mother til the end of her days told about the day my dad took us out for Thanksgiving dinner and we ended up in Vegas. I swear she believed Dad had gotten lost. I was talk to my aunt about that very thing right before she passed away. She said "Your father wanted to take you kids to see Boulder Dam, your mother didn't want to go so he made up the story". He alweays intended to go . That is my story. It was a great trip and a well remembered Thanksgiving.
Susan

Posted: Fri Nov 21st, 2008 12:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
39th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

ole wrote: There is something alien about disliking onions. I'm smelling a conspiracy.

Fagawdsakes! There was almost a rebellion among those building the pyramids when the supply of onions and garlic appeared to become short.

We tend to get grins about the odor of garlic, but I've not found it offensive. In fact, I like it a lot! It can be overdone, but a trace is not quite enough. Blooey! Garlic rules!

Ole
Yes sir ole! Garlic and onions are essential to so many of my favorite dishes.

Posted: Fri Nov 21st, 2008 12:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
40th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

ole wrote: Once again, I'm obliged to drive for an hour to attend the tradional Thanksgiving. There will be all the fixin's. What they/she/him/her haven't learned is how to put it all on the table, hot, at the same time. Cook up a storm, make everything super nice, but if it's cool when you get to it, it's a bummer.

And I can make an analogy here. The best generals cooked up a wonderful feast. The lesser generals did the same, but much of it was cool when served. Details.

Ole
Much like Lee's attacks on the second day of Gettysburg, lack of coordination can spell defeat at the dinner table as well......:dude:

Current time is 02:09 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4410 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 29 queries executed.