Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Charleston SC and Savannah GA - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Apr 8th, 2009 12:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Regina

Mana: 

I'm leaving Saturday for a 5-day trip to the Charleston SC/Savannah GA area.  I already have plans to see Ft. Sumter, the Hunley, and, of course, the historic districts in both cities and a plantation.  Does anyone have other suggestions for specific historic sites--especially related to the Civil War era?  Are there any sites related to Sherman's March?  It'll be my first time in these areas.

Posted: Wed Apr 8th, 2009 02:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Angel Oak is just south of Charleston, IMO it is a must see. If you go, get DETAILED directions.

Take a tour of the Customs House as well as a walk along the Battery. Rainbow Row is easy to walk or drive by and is worth it. There is also Charles Town Landing, a very interesting place, the first Charleston. The Citadel and Patriots Point are also well worth a visit. As for food... plenty of good options, I favor the Blind Tiger/Four Corner Cafe as it was a place I frequented w/ a friend many a time, it holds a special place in my heart.

Enjoy the place... it is my favorite part of the Carolinas.

Posted: Wed Apr 8th, 2009 03:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

I echo what Johan says about Charleston. Don't hesitate to take a carriage ride, either. It might be a bit touristy, but then, you get to see a lot that you might could investigate more thoroughly on your own later. Lots of walking tours, too.

In Savannah, there's Sherman's headquarters (you can navigate this site for other Savannah CW opportunities):
http://www.civilwaralbum.com/misc6/savannah5.htm

And also Fort Pulaski:
http://www.nps.gov/fopu/

And Fort McAllister:
http://www.gastateparks.org/net/content/go.aspx?s=24.0.0.5

Savannah has tons of great places to eat, including Paula Deen's Lady and Sons:
http://www.ladyandsons.com/

And Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room:
http://www.savannahoffthebeatenpath.com/Food/mrs__wilke's.htm

Take me with you. Please.

Last edited on Wed Apr 8th, 2009 03:34 am by PvtClewell

Posted: Wed Apr 8th, 2009 01:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

I echo everything the guys say but add out on James Island is Fort Lamar small but interesting to see the earthworks there. 

I will be there in June, need my Charleston fix.  I agree the carriage tour maybe be touristy but worth the money.  Only way to see the houses.  Fort Moultrie is another place to visit and when you see the Hunley go out to Magnolia Cemetery to see the graves of all the crews.

Susan

Posted: Wed Apr 8th, 2009 01:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Plantation see Drayton Hall it is as it was during the Civil War.  Boone Hill is rebuilt , as are the others.  Drayton is not .  It is the real thing.  Was a small pox hospital when Sherman came though so left alone.

Posted: Thu Apr 9th, 2009 01:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

While in Savannah, check out the home of Confederate General Hugh Mercer.  His grandson Johhny Mercer was the famous song writer. The house is featured in the movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" directed by Clint Eastwood and based on a true murder case that took place in that house. Jude Law plays the murder victim. Johnny Mercer's song "Skylark" is the theme song of the movie.

In Charleston, if you are so inclined, the very place where you pick up the boat to Fort Sumter also has an amazing display of US Navy ships including an aircraft carrier you can tour, a diesel submarine and a replica of a Viet Nam army outpost.

Posted: Fri Apr 10th, 2009 12:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Regina

Mana: 

Thank you--these all sound perfect--now, as long as I can fit it all into 5 days, I'm all set!!

Posted: Fri Apr 10th, 2009 05:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

If you like nautical stuff there is an interesting ships museum in Savannah proper.  It's not that far of a walk from River Street. 

Plus, Nathaniel Greene is buried in Savannah.  The state of Georgia gave him a plantation at Mulberry after the Revolution.

Last edited on Fri Apr 10th, 2009 05:46 pm by The Iron Duke

Posted: Fri Apr 10th, 2009 11:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Lincoln Fan

Mana: 

Haven't been to the area for a while, but "must sees" are Sherman's headquarters, Ft. McAllister and Drayton Hall. I would add that while you are at Drayton Hall, go a little further to the Middleton Plantation -wonderfully renovated grounds and a great family history. Have fun on your trip.

Posted: Sat Apr 25th, 2009 11:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Regina

Mana: 

Well, I'm back from my trip to Charleston and Savannah, and I have to say that it was even better than I expected it to be!   Thanks to everyone who suggested things to do--I didn't have enough time to see everything--I wish I could have spent at least a week in each place rather than 3 days.

One funny thing is that I stood at the Battery in Charleston looking out at Ft. Sumter the evening that I first arrived.  It wasn't until 2 days later that I put 2-and-2 together and realized it was the anniversary!!  I was there both on the night of April 11th, and the next morning, too!

I also took a fantastic guided Civil War walk while I was there.  Also, while at Ft. Moultrie, I asked about Ft. Wagner and was told it's being "taken over" by the elements.  I found that interesting, and would like to find out more about that another time.  I'll probably go to just Charleston on my April vacation next year (for the week), and then to Savannah on my April vacation the next year.

Posted: Sun Apr 26th, 2009 12:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Fort Wagner as I have been told is gone, it is in the water eroded by the ocean over the years.  Nothing is left on land.  It you go to Morris Island and look at the lighthouse it was part of the island at one time and now is out to sea.  So I am sure that is what they were telling you at Fort Moultrie. Susan  

Glad you had a good time .   Yep just checked national park site and here is the answer :

"A barrier island Morris island has suffered from hurricane and storm erroison .  As a result Battery Wagner and the other Union and Confederate fortifications on the ocean side of the island  no longer survive .  The film Glory was filmed in Georgia"

Last edited on Sun Apr 26th, 2009 12:10 am by susansweet3

Posted: Sun Apr 26th, 2009 09:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

Oh, I love Charleston. The thing that kills me is Castle Pinkney. It's just sitting there rotting, slowly bring reclaimed by the elements.

Current time is 10:41 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3740 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 25 queries executed.