Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

RIP James Gammon - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jul 16th, 2010 07:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Michael F. Blake

Mana: 

Character actor James Gammon died this morning, Fri, July 16, of cancer.

Gammon's gravelly voice and rugged features made him a natural for many Westerns including SILVERADO, CONAGHER and most recently, APPALOOSA. In the latter film, playing a town elder, he was hardly recogniziable.

His wife, Nancy, said that Jimmy would be cremated and hopes to have a memorial at the Met Theatre in Hollywood within the month.

I worked with him many years ago on a small film and he was just a nice fella.

Here's the link to his listing on Internet Movie Data Base:  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0304000/

As a tie-in to Civil War, he played General Grant in the 1988 mini-series LINCOLN, and also appeared inthe film, JOURNEY TO SHILOH.

Gammon spoke two of my favorite movie lines:

"I think there's a couple a guys up there, and this ass%+@@ is one of 'em!" - as Dawson in SILVERADO (1985)

"We was all young on Missionary Ridge. Thought we’d always be that way, or die young." - as Hooker in MONTE WALSH (2003)

Posted: Sat Jul 17th, 2010 02:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Basecat

Mana: 

Sorry to read about his passing.  He was very good in all the roles he played, and was excellent as the manager of the Cleveland Indians in that series.

Very correct about that line from "Silverado"...still cracks me up when I hear him say that. :)

Regards from the Garden State,

Steve

Current time is 02:42 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2837 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 25 queries executed.