Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Southern Gentlemen - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Mar 17th, 2007 09:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
61st Post
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

There have been several mournful posts about homegenization, thank goodness we still don't have that problem where I'm at -east kentucky. Lets just say if you go into a bar around here dressed like some of the posters describe..well, you won't look quite as good leaving as you did entering lol. Is that a good thing? I won't say one way or the other, but it certainly is not Gentlemanly (is that a word? who cares, Im from Kentucky!-we just got running water last month, my first pair of shoes last week, an I kin reed ata thurd greyed levl!) behavior.

I'm not sure if many would even call where I live southern, perhaps instead saying its just redneck. To fit in around here you have to have worked tobacco fields or other type of farm at least once, be a member of or sympathetic to the NRA,hunt, are Christain or Jewish , speak english, and work. We'll still  be friendly to you if you don't fit into all these categories most times, but you won't fit into what people around here think of as the southern way.

I'm not sure how to define a southern gentleman though. To me, you have to display all the courtesy and friendliness that most the populaton exhibits while also having money.

Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2007 01:37 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
62nd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Johan , fried grits with peanut butter. I like both but never have had them together.  You recommend it ?  I may have to try this. 

Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2007 02:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
63rd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

susansweet wrote: Johan , fried grits with peanut butter. I like both but never have had them together.  You recommend it ?  I may have to try this. 
Throw in mashed banana and you will have the "gritsified" favorite treat of Elvis Presley, another fine Southern gentleman from Tupelo, MS. I hear tell he was a purty good singer, too.

Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2007 02:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
64th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Fan , I am sorry to say I was not a fan of the gentleman but I love peanut butter and banana sandwiches .  Not fried though.  Funny thing a friend in high school who looked like Elvis or Rick Nelson take you pick depended on who  he was trying to look like that day introduced a bunch of us in a drama class to the sandwhich one day.  He would make them and share them with us for special events.  Been addicted ever since.  Never had them with grits though .

Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2007 03:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
65th Post
ole

Mana: 

The only way to enjoy a peanut butter sammich is with very sweet pickles.

Ole

Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2007 04:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
66th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Not sweet pickles ever.  I love dill pickles with most sanwiches .  When I was in South Carolina I discovered  Mt Olive dill pickles .   yum

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2007 05:57 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
68th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

:dude: There ya go JDC

Susan

Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2007 08:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
70th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

JDC not a gentleman . . . . Southern Lady !!!!  and that would be Southern Californian .

Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2007 12:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
71st Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Congratulations, JDC!:):):)!   And, way to go, Susan.  ;):D  You are each something quite special.

(BTW, Susan, is Delaware in Northern, Central, or Southern California?  If you do not know what I mean, please see the earlier posts pertaining to this subject.)

Working for my own asshat,

Joanie

Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2007 03:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
73rd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

My wife fries up left over grits and seves them up w/ peanut butter on the side... I can tolerate grits but fried p w/ peanut butter they're quite good.

As to Southern gentry... can't say as anyone I have ever met who claimed to be one was anything but a lawyer in disguise.  Now I have met some real gents of the South and men who I consider as fine as any.  Same is true of the North.

Now Maurice's BBQ... oh yeah southern mustard BBQ w/ hash n rice... yeah, that's what I'm talking about!

Or Sonic... mmm Chili cheese fries and a cherry limeade.... yeah.

STOP IT!!!!  I'm trying to lose weight and all y'all ain't helping none all you're doing is making me hungry.

Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2007 03:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
74th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Johan I was about to say the same thing .  I am losing weight but the last couple of days have made me want to go have several of the mentioned food that are not on my food plan. 

There are no Sonics in southern California.  Nearest one is over the mountains on interstate five right before you get to Bakersfield. on the Taft Highway.  As you can tell I know right where it is .  Every trip north for past couple of years I stop there for lunch.  The other nearest Sonic is in Kingman Arizona.  right near the nearest Cracker Barrel.   okay I am stopping or I will be in my car and headed either north or east and I can't afford the gas right now let alone the calories.   sigh.

Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2007 03:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
75th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

JDC you are not in trouble.  I was just confused.  Now I understand what you meant. 

Posted: Mon Mar 19th, 2007 03:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
76th Post
David White

Mana: 

Mustard and BBQ sounds worse than grits and PB, the only REAL BBQ is down here in the Lone Star State, oh and to hijack this thread again, How about those Texas Aggies, oh and sixteeen to Sweet Sixteen!!!  And speaking of Sweet, that's the only way to drink tea sweet and iced (messed up Saxons and their hot tea!).

Posted: Mon Mar 19th, 2007 04:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
77th Post
ole

Mana: 

The only real BBQ is in Kansas City and Memphis. Others are great, ranging from close second to close approximation. Texas makes the list only in the eyes of Texans.

Ole

Posted: Mon Mar 19th, 2007 04:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
78th Post
David White

Mana: 

Insulting the meat by slatthering it in sickingly sweet sauce, is not BBQ!

Posted: Mon Mar 19th, 2007 05:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
79th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Well you guys should come out here to California and have our Santa Maria Barbeque, not sauce on it , just seasoning and cooked over oak  fire  sliced into thin slices. Tri-tip  Pinquito beans,and fresh  salsa, it is soooo good.  The cowboys up in Visalia also add dutch oven cobbler for desert.   The style was started at the great rancheos here .   Yum. 

Posted: Mon Mar 19th, 2007 05:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
80th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Well you guys should come out here to California and have our Santa Maria Barbeque, not sauce on it , just seasoning and cooked over oak  fire  sliced into thin slices. Tri-tip  Pinquito beans,and fresh  salsa, it is soooo good.  The cowboys up in Visalia also add dutch oven cobbler for desert.   The style was started at the great rancheos here .   Yum. 

Current time is 08:21 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4401 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 29 queries executed.