Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Southern Gentlemen - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Mar 25th, 2007 07:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
121st Post
susansweet

Mana: 

you mean they all are out doing something and left us in charge?

Posted: Sun Mar 25th, 2007 01:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
122nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Charge... Visa or Mastercard?  Sorry couldn't resist.  C'mon now, the weekend was young bottles were full and grills just begging to be lit... or people.

That said this poor schmuck spent saturday reading about the M1854 Lorenz; didn't light the grill or myself. Besides books are cheaper than scotch... usually.

Posted: Sun Mar 25th, 2007 04:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
123rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

American express only here of course. I put down my book on Lincoln at Cooper Union last night and picked up a mystery just for a change of pace. Will get back to Lincoln on Monday. Soooo many books , sooooo little time.

Susan

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Mar 30th, 2007 01:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
126th Post
Marie

Mana: 

I quit watching NASCAR when Rusty retired and quit paying any attention at all to it when Mark did.   Get Sam Hornish in a Cup car and I might take interest again.

Regards fron NW Ohio,

Jana

Posted: Fri Mar 30th, 2007 04:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
128th Post
Marie

Mana: 

Yes, sir, Danica is about due for a win.  She's a talented driver and she's paid her dues.

Sam's Daddy owns a trucking company in the next town south of me, and a good friend of mine, Jack, was safety director there for many years.  Young Sam used to help Jack out after school and during the summers.   Sam's Mother wanted him to be an accountant  :shock:  

They made quite celebration out of Sam's Indy 500 victory when his hometown of Defiance threw a parade in his honor.   They don't do honorary parades for just anybody.   The last one was back in the 50's for Eisenhower  when he was president !!!

Posted: Fri Mar 30th, 2007 05:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
129th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

JDC,

Would you mind telling me specifically why you are worried about Jr. this year?  My NASCAR analytic abilities are admittedly underdeveloped and unsophisticated.  He was what, 7th, last Sunday at Bristol?  Not bad, I figure it's just a matter of time, he's getting the bugs out and catching his stride.  How does he like those "cars of tomorrow"?  Did you hear Kyle Busch say that "they suck" when he won last Sunday, too funny!

Anyway, barring engine trouble, I'm calling it Smoke - or possibly Hamlin - for Martinsville.  So, not this week for Jr.  But anytime afterwards - how about April 15th, a Texas win just for you?

Joanie

Last edited on Fri Mar 30th, 2007 09:10 pm by JoanieReb

Posted: Sun Apr 1st, 2007 06:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
131st Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Lordy, JDC!

You put it into perspective just right for me:  Now, I get it.

I was thinking, "Well, hey, Jr. is not only his father's son; he's Jr., too.  Just give him the track and he'll be fine."  Guess I just like to think of stong people in terms of their strenghs, while underplaying the fact that they are human, just like the rest of us mortals.

Infighting, struggles for control, family problems, "split camps": it don't matter how strong you are or how much you love what you do, when you've got those other things wearing you down - well, heck, you're human.  Worn down.  Don't matter how much you love what you're doing, you're over-all energy sapped.

OK.  I really want Smoke to win this afternoon (by my computer clock, it's way after midnight where I am - I'm just checking the board after a wild night of baby-sitting teenage girls at a major concert, 5 hours of driving plus 5 hours of concert, round trip). 

I can't help it, I have to pull for Smoke today, he's earned it and has the car for it.  But I'm gonna be pulling for Jr., now, too.  Seriously.  Horrible that his talent is being so worn down by outside factors.

Hey, I just heard this for the first time during the Bristol race, and it summed up why I like Smoke:  "If you put wheels on a cockroach, Smoke will figure out how to drive it for the win."  The thing is, the announcer said it like it was an OLD line, like something that was said often.  But I'd never heard it before.  So, was it just something he practiced in his head 'til it came out stale, or is that something I've missed in the past?

Well, metcha back here at the hijack thread after all is raced and done in Martinsville.

JoanieReb

Last edited on Sun Apr 1st, 2007 06:30 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Sun Apr 1st, 2007 12:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
132nd Post
Widow

Mana: 

Joanie, have you ever eaten ramps?  They grow wild in the mountain forests of West Virginia.  The dictionary says:

A wild leek of the lily family, having a pair of broad basal leaves in the spring, followed by a naked flower stalk; its strongly flavored bulbs are eatern, esp. in the Appalachians.

"Strongly flavored" is an understatement.  Elkins has a ramp festival one weekend every spring, and on the following Monday the schools are closed because everybody reeks of leeks.  No kidding.

I was reluctant to try them, but had to in self-defense.  They're tasty, cooked like small onions.  I couldn't eat them raw, just too strong for me.

Patty

Posted: Sun Apr 1st, 2007 03:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
133rd Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Patty,

I'm so glad to see you posting!  I was worried, hadn't seen you around in awhile, and, Seriously, I thought of hijacking this thread to, "Has anyone heard from The Widow Wheeler? 

I am serious about that! 

Around the first time I thought about asking if anyone knew why you weren't around, I saw that you had "visited" the site, but not posted.  Then, you were just plain gone again for awhile. 

How are you?   And, wherever you have been, I hope it was fun!

Now, in answer to your question, I have a weakness for ramps, but only after they have been cooked, because otherwise, I cannot get rid ot the taste from my mouth, and it starts to go rank.  I would only talk to someone with my hand over my mouth after eating a small bite.  But cooked, ummmm..... such a different story.  Sauteed with with some other vegetables and served with a good piece of meat, Lordy, Yes!

Posted: Mon Apr 2nd, 2007 04:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
134th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Joanie  I was worried about The Widow too.  Patty you know you have to check out if you aren't going to be around for a while.   The other board I post to daily is a high school group of friends  We even have a thread called checking out.  boy if you don't tell everyone you aren't going to be around your mailbox starts filling up with emails asking where are you !!! 

Hope you were having fun. 

Posted: Mon Apr 2nd, 2007 10:56 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
135th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Joanie and Susan,

Thanks for thinking about me.  Yes, I was off line for a while - having fun!  Three weeks ago a New Jersey couple were my houseguests.  We spent 4 hours on Saturday doing 2nd Manassas at the Manassass National Battlefield Park (Prince William County, VA), guided by our good friend "Shotgun," owner of the civilwarhome.com website.

Then an hour or so at the Ox Hill (Chantilly) Battlefield Park, here in Fairfax County.  That battle was a holding action just two days after 2nd Manassas, so the geographical and chronological sequence was just perfect.

At dusk, on to the Great Falls of the Potomac.  The river was running high, and it was SPECTACULAR!  My guests had never seen anything like it.

The next day, we had a 3-hr. walking tour of Fort Evans and Ball's Bluff in Leesburg (Loudoun County, VA).  Our guide was Jim Morgan, author of "A Little Short of Boats: The Fights at Ball's Bluff and Edward's Ferry."  It's considered the definitive history of those battles.

Since then I've been busy with other projects for my community homeowners' association.  But it's impossible to stay away from this board.  I missed my friends in here!

Patty

Posted: Mon Apr 2nd, 2007 02:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
136th Post
Marie

Mana: 

I've heard of ramps but never tried them.

Here's one for y'all:  my aunt and her husband took my 90-year-old grandmother to a Testicle Festival last weekend.  It was at a VFW post, IIRC.  That's all Grandma's been talking about since.   First time I ever heard her say the T word :shock:

Reagds, from NW Ohio,

Jana

Posted: Mon Apr 2nd, 2007 03:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
137th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Patty so glad you were having too much fun.  Just keep in touch. 

Posted: Tue Apr 3rd, 2007 10:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
138th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Now, Jana, you've GOT to tell us about the Testicle Festival.  I can't imagine, or, rather, I don't want to believe what I do imagine.  Patty

Posted: Tue Apr 3rd, 2007 01:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
139th Post
Marie

Mana: 

Widow,

Believe it.   They serve a meal that involves...er...prairie oysters.

Posted: Tue Apr 3rd, 2007 01:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
140th Post
ole

Mana: 

Do they taste like chicken?

Ole

Current time is 05:40 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  ...  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4387 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 29 queries executed.