Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Southern Gentlemen - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Apr 3rd, 2007 02:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
141st Post
Marie

Mana: 

Ole,

Beats me.

Posted: Tue Apr 3rd, 2007 03:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
142nd Post
David White

Mana: 

Ole:

Southern Gentlemen do not discuss testicles in the prescence of ladies and southern ladies should not be speaking of testicles, let alone eating them, in the company of anyone ;)

Posted: Tue Apr 3rd, 2007 03:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
143rd Post
Widow

Mana: 

Jana, Rocky Mountain oysters require the participation of a mule.  So what are prairie oysters?

This thread is getting better and better!

Patty

Posted: Tue Apr 3rd, 2007 06:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
144th Post
ole

Mana: 

David:

Never once did I mention the "T" word. My only contribution was to wonder if prairie oysters tasted like chicken. (And you'll notice the gender of the instigator.)

Widow:

A mule? First I heard of that. Doesn't matter to me, 'tho, where they come from, I plan to remain a good distance from wherever they are being prepared.

Anyone else:

We could be talking about peanuts:shock:  What's with the attraction of boiled ones? Wanted to try some last time I was down south, but couldn't get past the smell. Guess I'll never know if they're good or not.

Ole

Posted: Tue Apr 3rd, 2007 07:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
145th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Ole there is a boiled peanut stand near my friend's house in Manning South Carolina.  They tried to talk me into trying some everytime we drove past the stand which was every day for two weeks.  I kept thinking I should be when I saw what they looked like I past .  I love peanuts.  Roasted!!!  Never went to a ball game without getting a bag of peanuts , but boiled?  Maybe this September when I am back in Manning. 

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Apr 4th, 2007 05:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
147th Post
ole

Mana: 

Peanuts in the Pepsi did make the rounds up north, but didn't catch on. Now, the toothpicks soaked in clove oil worked for a while as well. Guess the south doesn't have a lock on wierd fads.

Ole

Posted: Wed Apr 4th, 2007 07:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
148th Post
Widow

Mana: 

ole wrote:Widow:

A mule? First I heard of that. Doesn't matter to me, 'tho, where they come from, I plan to remain a good distance from wherever they are being prepared.

ole, Rocky Mountain oysters are a true fact of life in Wyoming.  Just like jackalopes.  Ask dear one if she saw any jackalopes when she was in Laramie.

Patty

Posted: Thu Apr 5th, 2007 02:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
150th Post
ole

Mana: 

Isn't there a mounted jackalope in every bar west of the Missouri River? Must be a requirement. Dear One has seen the mounted variety, but they must be extinct by now which can be explained by all the mounted ones in bars.

Ole

Posted: Thu Apr 5th, 2007 02:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
151st Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

ole wrote: Isn't there a mounted jackalope in every bar west of the Missouri River? Must be a requirement. Dear One has seen the mounted variety, but they must be extinct by now which can be explained by all the mounted ones in bars.

Ole

LOL, reminds me of selling porcupine eggs or "Medicine stones" to tourists in HS... usually make enough for 3-4 of us to go to the movies.  Tourists... man talk about gullible... wait a minute I've been one... paid $5 for a shot of "genuine KY Whiskey" tasted like cheap rotgut whiskey to me.

Posted: Thu Apr 5th, 2007 05:07 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
153rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I looked all over Wyoming for Jackalope and only found them on postcards.

Johan, I love it selling porcupine eggs.  People will buy anything .  I never sold anything like that but in college I went around the Student Union one day collecting for the CCPJ fund.  I had about five dollars before someone asked what the funds were for.   One of my friends was going home to North Dakota and needed new pj's to be warm up there.  Her Name was Carol Corkins.   Worked for a while.  Oh well. 

Posted: Thu Apr 5th, 2007 06:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
155th Post
ole

Mana: 

First one I ever saw with a pheasant's tail. Will wonders never cease?

Ole

Posted: Thu Apr 5th, 2007 10:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
157th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Wow, that's the elite of jackalopes!  I never saw one with pheasant feathers and mule-deer antlers.  Thought they had pronghorns and great big ears.  Jackrabbit-sized.

Hey, wait a minute.  There aren't any pheasants in Wyoming - that can't be a jackalope.  That's an impostor, or some zoologist has made a big mistake.  :=))

Patty

Posted: Fri Apr 6th, 2007 10:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
158th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

This is not an elite Jackalope, or even a Wyoming jackalope.  It is a Michigan Jackalope.  It seems a novelty right now, but they are breeding like crazy and will be considered nuisances and pests soon.  They are the result of global warming.  Michigan was trying to re-stock its wild pheasant population, which can no longer survive the extreme lake-effect temperature changes in Michigan.  So Chinese pheasants were introduced, as it was thought that  the Chinese Pheasant would endure extreme and rapid climate changes better than the native pheasant, and would also interbreed with the native pheasant population.  The Chinese pheasants turned out to be "selective",  and wouldn't have anything to do with the native pheasants.  However, when the Michigan elderberries over-ripen and ferment on the bush, the Chinese pheasants get really crazy:  unlike Michigan pheasants, they are unfamilar with elderberry "spirits", and have no tolerance for Elderberry wine-berries.  Once they are "uninhibited", they like to, well you know.  And so do rabbits.  So, after eating fermented elderberries,  the Chinese pheasants do it like rabbits,  with the local rabbit population.  The resulting offspring  then mates with the Michigan Antelope population, which is numerous but extremely shy, so rarely seen.

The result is this particular species of jackalope.  As said earlier, it is a novelty right now, but very soon - probably within five years - due to its genenic propensity for breeding, will be considered a nuisance and a pest. 

The Michigan Fisheries and Wildlife department is working on a plan to control the Michigan Jackalope-Chinese-pheasant population by having them interbred with fish, which will make them sterile, like mules, but also very tasty when caught with a worm on a hook, and also provide jackalope oysters, which are highly valued in Michigan bars.   At least, to Michganders. 

Wait a minute, make that "Michiganians", as Michiganders take offense at being called something that could be interpreted as sexist.  Because Ganders are male.  Never call a Michigander a "Michigander", or she will kick your, well, you know.....

BTW, it is true that Michigan introduced Chinese pheasants to restock it's pheasant population....don't know if it has worked or not.

Last edited on Fri Apr 6th, 2007 12:26 pm by JoanieReb

Posted: Fri Apr 6th, 2007 12:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
159th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Joanie,

Wonderfully detailed description of the fate of Chinese-American pheasant-jackalope.

On a serious note, we've seen time and again the disasters caused by importing non-native species.  Kudzu, bamboo, frankenfish, and of course the domestic horses and cattle.

Importation of non-native species went two ways across the Atlantic.  Think of the New World plants taken to Europe: potatoes, pumpkins, coffee, tobacco, cacao, and I believe tomatoes.

I'm sure glad I don't know anybody from Michigan face to face.  "Michigander" is bad enough, what would you call a lady?  "Michigoose" of course.  Michiganian makes more sense anyway.  :=))

Patty

Posted: Fri Apr 6th, 2007 02:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
160th Post
ole

Mana: 

And we sometimes interfere by toying with genetics. It wasn't all that long ago that Wisconsin sportsmen attempted to create a new species by combining the fighting qualities of the coho with the eating qualities of the walleye. The resulting fish wasn't large enough to satisfy them, so they introduced the muskie into the mix. It made an excellent, tasty, large, fighting fish.

Last I heard, they were still trying to teach the cowalski how to swim.

Ole:shock:

Current time is 05:25 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  ...  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2493 seconds (26% database + 74% PHP). 31 queries executed.