Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Southern Gentlemen - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Apr 6th, 2007 10:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
161st Post
Widow

Mana: 

Ole, thanks, that was a day-brightener.  Who needs a fish that can swim, anyway?

Posted: Fri Apr 6th, 2007 11:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
162nd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

To stay on the genetic thread, Maryland is contemplating introducing a far east oyster to the Chesapeke Bay which is supposidely more disease resistant than the native ones that have historically been on the decline. At the present time, they're studying what effect will this species have on the native ones and the ecosystem of the Bay. Hopefully will come to a decision because there's nothing better than raw oysters and a pitcher of cold beer.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Apr 7th, 2007 01:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
163rd Post
ole

Mana: 

And kudzu makes a fine decorative vine, starlings will keep the bugs under control, and English sparrows are quite pretty. Hope they really think that one over.

Ole

Posted: Sat Apr 7th, 2007 02:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
164th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

To stay on the genetic thread, Maryland is contemplating introducing a far east oyster to the Chesapeke Bay which is supposidely more disease resistant than the native ones that have historically been on the decline. At the present time, they're studying what effect will this species have on the native ones and the ecosystem of the Bay. Hopefully will come to a decision because there's nothing better than raw oysters and a pitcher of cold beer.

Doc C

Posted: Fri Apr 13th, 2007 01:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
165th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Girl sure glad to see you posting today as I was about to send the patrol out to see if you had been captured.  Hadn't seen a post from you in several days.    My late night friend was missed.

Susan

Posted: Fri Apr 13th, 2007 05:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
166th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Miss Susan,

Was the above post meant for me, or have I simply succumbed to unbridled egotism?
If this was meant for me, how wonderful to be missed, thank you!!!!  If not, well, shoot and Dag-nabbit!

BTW, I was in no way meaning to cast a shadow of a doubt on your Michigan Grandfather.  Any man who survives Libby prison.....no wonder he was sidelined due to illness.  I was just thinking about the Midwest and TWBTS at the time. 

What more do you know about your Michigan Grandfather - where was he from and such?  I am in Michigan right now.  It is really late here!

BTW, speaking about the Midwest and TWBTS, I once heard a very thought- provoking argument,  that it was feared The South might revolt again in the decade after TWBTS, and that, if they did, the midwestern states would join them. 

I do know that there was a great deal of protest in the Midwest about the treatment of The South during reconstruction. 

I don't know if anyone is familar with Wisconsin's Sergeant Gilbert Bates' walk through The South, from Vicksburg, to Richmond, and finally to Washington D.C.,  carrying a Union flag to show that the Southern people were "reconstructed, and once again respected and revered the Union flag".  It was a huge media event at the time.

I think it is a great example of the midwestern frame of mind in the initial years of reconstruction.  I read Bates' memoirs, and Dear Lord!!!, the man was practically a "groupie" of  Southerners.  I have his memoirs around here somewhere.  I will never forget a paragraph in which he speaks of "the Negro" in the most denigrating of ways, as if they were the kind of ignorant, child-like people that, according to stereotype, Southerner's often portrayed them to be; writing, "it is not their fault - bad men who pretend to be their friends decieve them."

Oh, I love this thread!  I can hijack my self in a single post!  More than once if I want to.  Wheeeeee!

JoanieReb

Last edited on Fri Apr 13th, 2007 08:08 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Sat Apr 14th, 2007 12:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
167th Post
medicboymatt

Mana: 

Joan,

You raise a good point here, one that might be worthy of a new thread for discussion. I am speaking of your comments on the Reconstruction Era.

I did some research into this period while acting as a historical consultant for a production company. I was...amazed is the only word that comes close. I came to the conclusion that Reconstruction, not the Civil War, was the darkest time and the biggest threat in the Republic's history. At the time, I also thought that the Radical Republicans of Reconstruction has posed a far greater danger to the Republic and the Constitution than the present delusional NeoCon cabal that runs our country today. However, the past few years has led me to an agonizing reappraisal of that point.

(And as a sidebar, I would like to comment on how incredibly polite members of these boards are for the most part regarding current events, both foreign and domestic. We have been polite, yes; but I think perhaps it might be good for more dialog on these lines. It is no longer a matter of differences in liberal/conservative, Democratic/Republican, red/blue idealologies. Rather, I think it comes down to the fact that the American Experiment in representative democracy is rapidly going down the tubes, and We The People had better do something about it pretty damn quick.) 

With that said, how about it, Joanie? Shall we launch a Reconstruction thread?    

Posted: Sat Apr 14th, 2007 12:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
168th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Medic

Excellent thread, will begin a new one as per our beloved leader, Dr. J.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Apr 14th, 2007 01:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
169th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Joanie of course  I was talking about you.  I took roll and you were missing.  The teacher in me I guess.  

About my great grandfather , I have in recent months got his Papers from the archives and my great grandmothers files from the Soldiers home women building in Michigan.   My dad never knew his grandfather, his father was old enough to be my Father's grandfather .   I do know from exploring census , That Aaron Sweet after the Civil War was a night police in Decatur Michigan.  In 1868 He killed a 26 year old man . How do I know ?  It is on the man's tombstone,  Killed by Aaron Sweet. 

He was 41 when he enlisted in Southern Michigan.  He was born in Canda of parents from New England Area.  He died sometime after 1890 and before 1900.  According to one census he had some money .  I still need to send off for a newspaper article from the local newspaper up there.  Don't know what it is about. 

I wish I had a picture of him. 

Susan

Posted: Sat Apr 14th, 2007 04:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
170th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

How do I know ?  It is on the man's tombstone,  Killed by Aaron Sweet

Wow, Susan!  That is something else!!!!  I stopped to think a minute on that!

I'm going to look Decatur up on a map - if it is near where I am right now, would you like me to go get pictures of anything?  Is that tombstone there?  Or your G-Grandfather's?

Betcha Mr. JDC can be of help with finding more out about your G-Grandfather, as that seems to be his passion and specialty!

Hail, FGotN (Fellow Guardian of the Night: we are here, and not ForGotteN, Giggle!;):D:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:.)

Last edited on Sat Apr 14th, 2007 05:06 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Sat Apr 14th, 2007 06:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
171st Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Joanie if you are in Van Buren County or close by Great Grandfather is buried in a cemetery in Decatur called Lakeside  His name is Aaron Sweet and has a GAR marker I was told. 

The Tombstone with his name on it as killing someone is in Clapp Cemetery Paw Paw Township Van Buren county  It is Joseph Pierson 's grave  died Feb 25, 1869 Killed by Aaron Sweet. 

If you got pictures of either one or both I would be sooooo thrilled.  I have never been to Michigan.  It is so far from Los Angeles.  My brother would be thrilled too, I sent all information to him also.  I am making a family history for my nephew so he will know all of this one day when he wants to know.  Right now he is 21 and going to school being a waiter and playing rock and roll.  No time for family history but like his dad one day he will say who was my family.  Lucky for my brother I listened and then searched. 

Susan 

glad to have you back at night

Posted: Sat Apr 14th, 2007 10:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
172nd Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Susan,

This is quite do-able, and would make a lovely day-trip, the drive is thru really pretty countryside, so I'm told.   If there is a sunny day next weekend, I'll be off and enjoying myself.  Guess I should get ahold of the sextons, or whatever they are called, so I know where to find the graves?

Joanie

Oh, yeah, it feels good to be back!

Posted: Sun Apr 15th, 2007 04:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
173rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Oh that would be sooooooo great to have pictures of the graves.  I think my great grandmother Ophra Sweet is buried right next to Aaron .   I would so appreciate this . 

thank you thank you

susan

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sun Apr 15th, 2007 06:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
175th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Amazing JDC right there on your ranch huh?  Good picture taken one handed too. 

How was your weekend encampment?

Posted: Sun Apr 15th, 2007 10:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
178th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Took me a minute to figure this one out.  lol.  Had to switch "gears"  .  Poor Junior. 

Current time is 10:57 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  ...  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2215 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 30 queries executed.