Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Worldy Travels - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2007 09:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

We've got some pretty heavy topics floating around and I wanted to lighten things up a bit.  I love studying different cultures and places of interest around the world.  I am just curious to know where you all have traveled and/or lived outside of the US.  I sadly have not stepped foot outside our beautiful country so I will be living vicariously through you. 

Woe is Fuller

Worldy? I did pas speling clas, I sware :)

Last edited on Fri Apr 20th, 2007 09:38 pm by Fuller

Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2007 09:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Good thread.

Canada
London
Stuttgart, Germany
Holy Loch, Scotland
Rome
Puerto Rico (OK, technically U.S)
Rota, Spain

Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2007 09:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

Thanks for your post javal.  I would also love to hear your favorites.  Why were they your favorites?  Any great places to stay overnight or great places to eat?  Why were you there, where were the people the friendliest?  Funny stories, scary stories etc...I want to hear it all!!!

Fuller

Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2007 10:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I have traveled in England, Spain, France, Germany Greece, Italy ,Switzerland , Denmark, Austria, Belgiuim, Holland, Sweden ,Norway, Mexico and Canada.   I stayed for six weeks in Denmark with Danish friends which was the best .  I have only lived in California .  Twice spending six weeks teaching in San Francisco for a summer program.  I have traveled all over the USA by car, train and airplane. 

Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2007 10:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Fuller,

Almost all of the places were visited while I was in the Submarine Service in the late '70's - early '80's. By far my favoritewas Holylock. Many that I served with hated it because they loved to party - rowdy parties with 20-30 mates. This was NOT a place to do that, and the locals had no problem letting them know that. I, on the other hand, preferred to grab a good single-malt scotch by myself or one or two friends and observe the locals. I was always respectful, letting them know that I realized I was in their turf. Once they realized we weren't the typical rowdy US servicemen, they took to us nicely. Spent many pleasant evenings near a fireplace having philosophical discussions with the locals. Had to return to the sub overnight, so can't help with overnight accomadations, plus it was almost 30 years ago so not sure I'd remember. But two places I spent some quality time at were the Holy Loch Inn and the Cot House Hotel in nearby Dunoon. Great times.

Rota, Spain - absolute worst. Horribly filthy. Stinks to high heaven. The populace hated Americans and there was a better chance than not of getting mugged or worse. Hate it with a passion.

London - the best historical city in the world, but very, very expensive, even back then in pre-Euro days.

Stuttgart - probably the most beautiful spot I've ever seen. Castles and the Black Forest. Drunk most of the time unfortunately.

Rome - See London

Canada - US with a different name

All my scary stoies involve hookers, so I better not
:cool:

Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2007 11:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Javal I agree with you on London and Rome.  Two of my favorite historical cities to visit.  So much history so little time.  My first love was medieval and Renaissance history so time I spent in London and Rome was packed with historical sites and art . 

I was in Rome before the crazy took a hammer to the Pieta so it was not behind glass.  We walked right up to it and all around it .  One of the most beautiful pieces of art in the world. 

Denmark is full of history too.  All the way back to the Viking ships in Roskilde to the castles all around Copenhagen.  When my friends parents took me out to see a 14th century  ruins  Mor says to us. Well I guess we are going to visit the relatives.  My Danish friend's family had lived in the little town for 500 years or more. 

Been over 30 years since I have been to Europe though .  Now my goal is to see as much of the USA as I can.  Western history and Civil War with the Revolutionary history bumping in between the  Cvil War sites .

Susan

Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2007 11:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Because of my Hubby's work, we have lived three years in Brazil, three years in Kenya, two years in Portugal, twelve years in The Philippines, and eight years in Venezuela. One son was born in Nairobi, Kenya and one was born in Lisbon, Portugal.

Because of those assignments, we also were able to visit a number of other countries including Mexico, Peru,  South Africa, Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe), Malawi, Kuala Lampur, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, Italy, Spain, Germany, northern France, plus we have visited Aruba, Panama and the Panama Canal, Costa Rica, Grand Cayman, Belize, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, St Thomas, St Maartin, St John, the Bahamas.

My favorite place in all the world? Hawaii, USA

My favorite country? The United States of America...so great in so many ways

My favorite city? Triple tie: San Francisco, CA; Rome, Italy; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Scariest moments? 1. a mounted cavalry charge on the streets of Sao Paulo (1968) my second day in Brazil. I knew one thing. Those police meant business and you got out of the way. A very kind Brazilian guided me into a store where dozens of people cowered behind counters.

2. The morning of the overthrow of Ferdinand Marcos (the People Power Revolution).

3. The morning Hugo Chaves tried to take over Venezuela by force.  He failed and fled the country, but we had no idea what was happening, who was "good" and who was "bad" and if anarchy was about to break out and if those low flying fighter planes would bomb our neighborhood.

Posted: Sat Apr 21st, 2007 05:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
calcav

Mana: 

The Navy took me to a few places over the years. Some I would love to go back to see again, others, well you could not pay me to go back to others. I was also in the territorial waters of several fascintaing tourist areas where people were doing their best to kill each other; Kuwait, Iraq, the former Yougaslavia, Somalia, Lebanon, Grenada, Haiti and even crossed Khadafi's "Line of Death."

Canada (British Columbia, Ontario)

Mexico (Acapulco, Matzatlan, Tijuana)

Panama (Panama City, Panama Canal)

Columbia (Catagena)

Bahamas (Nassau)

Cuba (Guantanamo Bay)

Portugal (Lisbon)

Spain (Madrid, Malaga, Ibiza, Palma de Majorca, Rota)

France (Toulon, Marseille, Villefranche sur Mer)

Italy (Naples, Pompeii, Palermo, Salerno, Venice, Trieste)

Greece (Rhodes)

Israel (Haifa, Jerusalem)

Morocco (Tangier)

Egypt (Port Said, Suez Canal)

United Arab Emirates (Dubai, Sharjah)

Oman (Muscat)

Bahrain (Bahrain)

36 States and 2 territories

Favorite: The places I would most like to return to are Venice and Pompeii. :cool:

Worst: I agree with Joe on his opinion of Rota, Spain, the armpit of the world. :(

Most depressing: Christmas in Muscat, Oman. :(

Strangest foreign city: New York. :shock:

Tom

Posted: Sun Apr 22nd, 2007 07:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Tom I agree about Pompeii and one of my Civil War round table friends is headed there next month along with other places .  I would like to go back to England and get out of London area to see more of the countryside.  Also go back to Berlin and see what it is like without the Wall down the middle.  That was one of the most chilling things I saw on any trip I have been on 

The Wall

Dachua and being given the tour by a German friend . 

Anne Frank's secret Annex. 

Those are the most chilling

The most memorial  bsides the above listed.

The crown jewels , Westminster Abby just like I saw them both when I was a kid watching on TV.

The Eiffel tower and racing a friend down the stairs from the top. Hey I was a lot younger and in better shiape.

The viking ships in Norway and Denmark,

The ancient ruins in Rome and Athens.   In Rome I thought of the Edith Warton short story Roman Fever.  Had to go home before I found out why.

Ell Greco paintings and the city of Toledo. then going to the Bullfights and to dinner where Hemingway went  in Madrid.

The Alps  amazing mountains but I still like the Rockies better

Don't laugh . . . Standing on the spot where Savonarola burned at the Stake in Florence.   I was a medieval -Renaissance History Major  what can I say.

Seeing the Pieta and the David , 

The Louvre The Prado and Thorvaldson art museum in Copenhagen. 

Riding on the Risenvald in Vienna .  AND dancing a Viennese Waltz with someone who knew how under the starlight in Vienna .  He was a complete stranger I never saw before or ever again.   The whole time I was dancing I was thanking my mom for making me take those ballroom dance lessons when I was 12. 

Now though I will stick to the USA sooo much more to see.  I have parts of the Oregon Trail to do, Parks of the Lewis and Clark trail to finish,  I have battlefields to visit, Including Little Big Horn.  And cemeteries to visit that I can leave.  A friend just reminded me I see to drag him to every cemetery I can find . I told him no just the ones with Confederate and Union soldiers to visit.  

Susan

Posted: Fri Apr 27th, 2007 11:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
connyankee

Mana: 

My worldly travels are bounded by my Navy career 1971-1977 on the carrier, Enterprise.  In four years we steamed enough miles to circle the earth twice! 

Alameda, CA - our home port at the time & my home for 4 years

Bremerton, WA

Hawaii

Guam

Philippines - Subic Bay, Olongapo, Manila

Hong Kong x 2

Yankee Station - (no land there - it was in the Tonkin Gulf)

Singapore - cleanest city I have ever seen

Kenya - Mombasa

Karachi, Pakistan

Hobart, Tasmania - ok, I DID meet the Tasmanian Devil - that's what she said her name was. 

Lots of different cultures seen and experienced here.  I was always glad to get back to the good 'ol USA, though.

Regards,

connyankee

Current time is 06:35 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1731 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 25 queries executed.