Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Dale Junior - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 07:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
121st Post
Marie

Mana: 

Sorry, didn't mean to :)

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 07:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
122nd Post
Roger

Mana: 

That's ok, Juan Montoya might be for me. at least I've heard of him from his F1 days.

Yes, I've been looking:D

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 07:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
123rd Post
Marie

Mana: 

After Sam Jr. won the Indy 500 his hometown, Defiance, Ohio, threw a parade in his honor. They take their parades seriously in Defiance. The last one proir to Sam's was for Eisenhower...when he was President :)

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 07:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
124th Post
Marie

Mana: 

Also, just a heads up: The last four words of the Star-Spangled Banner are NOT "Gentlemen, Start Your Engines"

And at Michigan International Speedway they play the Canadian National Anthem as well as ours before the races  :)

Last edited on Mon Jan 21st, 2008 07:29 pm by Marie

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 07:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
125th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Don't go to Defiance Ohio if your expecting a parade then.
Keep 'em coming this is very educational

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 07:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
126th Post
Marie

Mana: 

Don't expect a parade unless you are a hometown boy and win the Indy 500 :)

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 07:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
127th Post
Marie

Mana: 

sorry, double post

Last edited on Mon Jan 21st, 2008 07:32 pm by Marie

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 07:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
128th Post
Marie

Mana: 

Wanna hear the story about how Sam got the real estate lady fired?

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 07:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
129th Post
Roger

Mana: 

I think so, it might just swing it in his favour if it's a good story:D

Roger 

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 08:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
130th Post
Marie

Mana: 

Sam met a real estate lady to look at a new house.
Now undestand that the lady didn't know him from Adam's housecat.
All she saw was a young man, early twenties, who pulled up on a Harley with a bandana around his head, went through this $250,000, brand new house, then whipped out his checkbook to pay cash for it.
She thought he was joking, laughed at him and in short, really ticked him off.

He went to her boss, who explained to her who he was:i.e. the reigning IRL Champion, and that he was well able to pay cash for the house.

Sam didn't buy that house and she lost her job.

She should have done her job and known who she was dealing with beforehand, I think, but then my mother was in real estate for a years and she was careful not to offend the potential buyers  :)

Last edited on Mon Jan 21st, 2008 08:04 pm by Marie

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 08:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
131st Post
Roger

Mana: 

Good story but it was a bit harsh her losing her job. I think her boss should have been pleased she was being cautious. having said that I can see your point about her doing her homework beforehand.

Roger

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 08:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
132nd Post
Marie

Mana: 

Keep on looking into NASCAR....I'm sure you'll find a driver you want to root for, and eventually maybe even cross the pond to attend a race or two (or more.)
Just keep in mind that i live about 45 minutes from Michigan International Speedway and the latchstring is out :)

Regards,

Jana

Last edited on Mon Jan 21st, 2008 08:34 pm by Marie

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 10:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
133rd Post
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

Marie wrote: He grew up just down the road from me in NW Ohio, worked in the office of his Daddy's trucking company, and his mother wanted him to be an accountant and take over the family bidness.  

As a fellow NW Ohioan, I, too, will be cheering for Sam Hornish, Jr. But first and foremost, it'll be *the* Junior. You know who I mean. ;)

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 10:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
134th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Also, just a heads up: The last four words of the Star-Spangled Banner are NOT "Gentlemen, Start Your Engines"

This is true - baseball being hailed as "The Great American Pastime", the official closing words to The Star-Spangled Banner" are "Play Ball!", kind of like an "Amen" at the end of "The Lord's Prayer"....

Kj - I watched bits of the Jackson-Barrett auction which seemed to be showing for about a week  non-stop on The Speed Channel.  (So Frustrating, all those beautiful cars, and non of them moving, arghhhhhhhhh!!!)  Anyway, they auctioned off the hood of one of Jr.'s   #8 Budweiser cars from 2005, it went for $2000.00, unautographed.  I currently live about 50 miles from MIS, and had visions of getting the winning bid on the hood, taking it to speedway, dragging it up to Jr, and saying, "may I have your autograph?  Right here, under where it says "Budweiser".....

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 10:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
135th Post
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

Hey, we can dream, can't we???

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 11:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
136th Post
BigPowell

Mana: 

Roger, might I suggest that you look into Michael Waltrip as a driver? He's Darryl Waltrip's (one of the alltime racing greats, now a network commentator) younger brother, and he is one hard drivin' man. He won the Daytona 500 the year that Dale Earnhart Sr. was killed during the race (Sr.'s death far overshadowed Mikey's victory, that was a small tragedy for Mike), and he has a unique sense of humour and worldview that I think you could appreciate. He and his teams do drive Toyotas, but that's okay, just as long as the American Public stops buying them.

Posted: Tue Jan 22nd, 2008 12:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
137th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

BP, I loves me some Mikey Waltrip.  As far as I'm concerned, the best show on TV is "the Speed Report", because of Mikey and Dave Despain (and of course,  Kenny Schreader as the foil, and Greg Biffle or Brian Vickers as the "straight men" (No reference to sexual orientation meant there).  I would watch it if they were discussing cooking! 

One of the most moving moments in sports is watching Big Brother Darrell annoucing That Daytona 500,  beside himself with joy as Mikey wins, then realizing that something is wrong with his (sometimes more, sometimes less) dear friend Dale. 

Speaking of this, as discussed in the Dakar thread, we must figure out how to get Roger the 6-disc "Dale" DVD set.  All he really needs is the Dale documentary and the 2000 Winston 500 (disc 1 and 3, if I recall) - but I think this is essential to his proper conversion to NASCAR fan-dom.  I got mine on ebay.

Kj, as a true Jr. fan, I trust you have your set?  It is really something, watching the 2000 Winston 500, watching Jr. bump-draft Sr. down the straight-away.  Boy, the cars sure have changed since then, not for the better, I fear, except perhaps where safety is concerned - not something to be underestimated, of course.

Last edited on Tue Jan 22nd, 2008 12:22 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Tue Jan 22nd, 2008 01:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
138th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Joanie,

Do you talk about the Civil War on any NASCAR sites?

Posted: Tue Jan 22nd, 2008 01:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
139th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

"Joanie,

Do you talk about the Civil War on any NASCAR sites?"

Only in conjunction with Sterling Marlin, who is himself a big CW buff. 

Truth be told, CWi is one of only two internet sites, of any nature,  that I both avidly follow and contribute to.  I followed this site daily for about a year before I finally posted, and I am quite satisfied with having CWi be my primary site for all kinds of topic interactions, LOL!

This one kinda went over my head, Pvt. Clewell.  Are you suggesting that I am being a CW lightweight this days?  Actually, I have been being a no-show on the CWi CW threads for awhile, and am quite aware of it, and a bit ashamed.

I did notice that for awhile, the Slavery and States Rights thread had over-taken this -the most popular NASCAR thread -  in both number of posts and number of views; and I was tickled pink by it.

It is fun and pleasurable to get to know others here on the Idle Chit-Chat section. 

Also, in the Idle Chit-Chat thing, I can come out to play with next to no deep thought or research.

There are two very challenging CW-related threads here at CWi that I missed while I was gone these last few weeks, and I am studying them.  Unfortunately, replying to THEM takes thought, research, and tact.  Sigh, I'm getting around to it.  But, being weakened as I am by on-going NASCAR withdrawl, it is taking more of an effort than usual.

Let me just say that, while those threads appear dead for the time being, I would not be surprised if they rose again....

Last edited on Tue Jan 22nd, 2008 02:04 am by JoanieReb

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Current time is 02:11 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  ...  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2162 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 27 queries executed.