Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Too much free time? - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jul 13th, 2007 01:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Hey, I've been on this board for about a month now (time flies) and I've noticed that all the usual suspects are submitting posts at all hours of the day (making adjustments for time zones). Which leads to the obvious question: does anybody around here actually work for a living? Or are y'all just posting from the office computer?

My excuse is that I'm retired.

Posted: Fri Jul 13th, 2007 02:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
younglobo

Mana: 

PVT .. what the boss dont know wont hurt him ... Oh wait thats me no wonder i can get away with it.

Posted: Fri Jul 13th, 2007 06:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Retired here , if I was still teaching  I would not be able to get the board much at all. 

Susan

Posted: Fri Jul 13th, 2007 05:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ole

Mana: 

You've come close to the mark, Pvt Clewell. The retired are overrepresented in almost all the boards. A close second are those in a position to use the company computer during idle moments. (Personally, if you were working for me, I'd have IT limit your access, if not find someone who would spend a greater portion of the day actually doing some work.)

You will find working stiffs who find time to be on line; and you'll find those whose postings are limited to the time between putting the kids to bed and being forced to get there themselves.

Without the committed retired, there wouldn't be much in the way of active CW boards. This one is rapidly improving, for which benefit, I am grateful. Haven't read a NASCAR post since you joined.

ole

Posted: Fri Jul 13th, 2007 06:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

I am a stay at home mom.  Best job in the world.  In between taking care of my kids, husband, cooking and lots of cleaning, I love to log on to this board that deals with my favorite hobby.  Sure beats bon bons and As the World Turns!

Posted: Fri Jul 13th, 2007 06:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Ole, you're a hoot.

But check this out — Lexington is in the heart of NASCAR country, just an hour from Charlotte. Richard Childress' RCR operation is 15 minutes from my house, and his vineyard is even closer. In fact, his former gas man, Chocolate Myers, lived two houses down from us until he moved a few months ago.

But I have never understood the appeal of cars racing in circles for three or four hours at a time while burning fuel and adding to the greenhouse gas effect. It's all so, so so politically incorrect.

I don't consider this to be a NASCAR post, by the way.

Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2007 01:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Busted. I'm retired.

Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2007 01:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

I was in London, Ontario last weekend and had to miss watching the Daytona Pepsi 400.  Distressing!  I did record it, tho....haven't had time to watch it, but did study the Stewart/Hamlin wreck very cafefully.  I Think the wreck itself plus the resulting fallout deserves its own thread; what do you think, Ole?:shock:;););) ;):D:D:D:D:D:cool:

So, who are you guys' drivers?  Who do you think will make The Chase?  Do you think if Junior falls out of the top twelve, the Hamlin/Smoke wreck will be blamed?

Just funnin' yas,

Well, I'm too mentally tired to address That Hill - or any thing of real import - right now, so I think I'll go watch the ARCA race....

Joanie

Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2007 02:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
ole

Mana: 

Joanie:

You are a caution. I can't assign small-circle racing fans into a dismissible category, but I will say this: I haven't followed any kind of racing since I had to sell my '50 Olds fastback (with LaSalle 3-speed) to help pay for post high-school eddication. Raw horsepower and the quarter-mile are where it's at! I fall asleep watching people go around in circles. (Although some of my best friends were quarter-mile dirt-track fiends.)

ole

Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2007 02:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
ole

Mana: 

I am a stay at home mom.  Best job in the world.

Couldn't agree more, Fuller. There may be no finer calling than a mom.

ole

Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2007 07:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

And just where have you been missy?!!!!!  We have missed your postings on here. It has been way too long since I have seen a Fuller connected to a post here. 

:(  But soooo glad to see one tonight :D:D:D .  Now don't cha be hiding away again . 

Susan

Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2007 09:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Fuller,

I am also very glad to see you back and posting. 

Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2007 09:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Ole wrote:

"I will say this: I haven't followed any kind of racing since I had to sell my '50 Olds fastback (with LaSalle 3-speed) to help pay for post high-school eddication. Raw horsepower and the quarter-mile are where it's at! I fall asleep watching people go around in circles. (Although some of my best friends were quarter-mile dirt-track fiends.)"

OK, from here on in I should PM you about this if it is to be further discussed - this is a blatant highjack and we don't need a thread about it.

But, my deepest sympathies.  When I acquired three young step-sons about 16 years ago, I sold a 70's Mustang that I had acquired just to rebuild - a real classic-in-the-making. I had the body done to near perfection, complete with the original stock paint, and was getting the engine in order, when the financial strains called for the car going to a new owner.  I still hurt, especially as my daughter nears 16-years-old and I think that, that steel-bodied car just could have been the safest, coolest ride she could have.

Anyway, when you have a bit of mindless time, check out "Pinks" on The Speed Channel.  For the first time since I sold my baby Mustang, I am thinking about putting a "garage-built" racer together.

Sorry for the big old hijack.....

Joanie

Last edited on Sun Jul 15th, 2007 03:17 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Sun Jul 15th, 2007 05:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Ole wrote:

"Joanie:

You are a caution."

Darnit!  You mean, I'm like a big ol' car wreck, or some debris on the track, or a yellow flag? 

And here I thought I was a people!

Last edited on Wed Jul 18th, 2007 03:53 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Tue Jul 17th, 2007 04:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

Ole, Susan and Joanie, thankyou for your kind words.  It's nice to be surprised with a welcome when you didn't even know you were missed!

;)

Posted: Tue Jul 17th, 2007 06:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

hecks bells , (cleaning it up as you might have children over your shoulder ) of course you were missed.  You posted and then left .  Kept wondering where was Fuller.  Even the pictures you sent  of your family at reenactments kept cycling though my pictures when I had screen saver on .  It goes though all the pictures I have saved. There you were with your mom or the one of you as a little girl at Gettysburg and I would wonder where is Fuller on the board .   So glad you are back.  Now if JDC didn't work such longs hours and would get himself back here all would be right with the world. 

Guess I mother others since I was never a mother or it is the teacher in me coming out .  Oh well it is late and and I tired and I have round table tomorrow and no idea who took home the lecturn last month when I was at muster and I need it for speaker tomorrow night . Also a screen .  Person I think has it hasn't answered email .  Oh well .  I have an old screen I will lug over there  just in case .

"mother hen" aka Susan

Posted: Wed Jul 18th, 2007 03:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

Susan,  my humble little self is blushing profusely.  Much appreciated.  As for you, I have a big place in my heart for teachers.  Especially ones like yourself who obviously have a great passion to share thier knowledge with others.  All it takes for a little mind to suddenly spark with ambition is one teacher who for most of the time unknowingly influenced thier lives greatly.   

P.S. You are not "retired".  Once a teacher, always a teacher.

Posted: Wed Jul 18th, 2007 05:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
ole

Mana: 

What an exceptionally especially nice post! We hire policemen to keep us safe and we elect people to run things that we don't understand. And we treat our teachers like they are babysitters. What is wrong with this picture?

The cops can only get to you after you've been assaulted; the people who are supposed to run things tend to grease the skids on their side of the job,, and our teachers have little room in which to stimulate those little brains.

Haven't given up yet, but see no sunrise.

ole

Posted: Wed Jul 18th, 2007 09:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Fuller thank you so much .  Ole, I wish I had gotten paid by the kid like a baby sitter considering how many kids I had a certain times in my career.  I had someone not long ago that told me anyone can teach.  I would have loved to put that person in a classroom with my 20 or so first graders .  But then again that would not be a good idea for him. 

I do miss the kids and the creating teaching units for the various subjects I taught. 

Posted: Wed Jul 18th, 2007 08:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

pretty late on posting but my saying is the 3 professions that pay to little for what they do are 1) teachers 2) Farmers  3) soilders  and fourth would be pastors

Kudos to you susan for being a teacher if it wasnt for some of the teachers I had I would be a mess

Current time is 07:41 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2133 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 24 queries executed.