Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

US Springfield 1863 - Weapons of the Civil War - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Oct 26th, 2007 11:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Johnny Huma
Johnny Huma

Mana: 

I had a chance today to buy an 1863 US Springfield that was in rather nice condition..

By the looks of it fireable condition with all the parts working well on it...I dont know enough about these things to venture into spending the cash for it...The stock had an

1822 date on it but the side plates are marked 1863..Dont know if someone modified this thing or not...The guy is asking 1200 bucks for it and its out of Harrisburg PA which is not far from Gettysburg...

Anybody got any Idea what this thing may be worth..Or what the 1822 imprint in the stock would be...That is what had me holding off on it along with the price..

Oh yea and it has the bayonet with it also in nice condition and fully attachable...

Thanks

Huma

Last edited on Fri Oct 26th, 2007 11:51 pm by Johnny Huma

Posted: Tue Oct 30th, 2007 03:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

Depending on condition that is a reasonable price.  You may wish to look at gunbroker.com, thehorsesoldier, or sharpsburg arsenel for some comparison.

Just because it is from near Gettysburg should not be a consideration with out solid providence of a Gettysburg connection. Many weapons were sold as surplus, and many were assembled from parts. Depending on the type of ignition it could be a modified flint lock which could well have seen civil war service. If you can post pictures I or several other board members can probably give a better opinion. 

Posted: Fri Mar 28th, 2008 11:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
cody6397
Yankee

Mana: 

The Springfield was a great rifle with alot of power but it had a rather time consuming reload

Posted: Sat Mar 29th, 2008 05:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

It has a lot to do w/ the condition, which contractor etc. W/ the bayonet makes it soun like a decent deal especially if in shootable condition. For a comparison take a look at the http://www.Lodgewood.com consignment page.

Springfields are staying high but the Enfield market has had the bottom drop out of it due to a flood of originals from Afghanistan. A shootable P53 can be had for less than $700 when your lucky.

Current time is 06:51 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1424 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 24 queries executed.