Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Cannon Balls - Weapons of the Civil War - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Dec 6th, 2006 05:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
leaglebu

Mana: 

Was there a cannon ball about the size of an un-hulled walnut?

Posted: Wed Dec 6th, 2006 07:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

In clusters, leaglebu, balls of approximately that size were grouped and contained in a cluster. Cannister would have been a bit smaller, and grape would have been larger. I'll not insult you with specifics as you may well be aware of them and asking about something else. And I'm not exactly comfortable with the "size of unhulled walnuts." Are we talking run-of-the-mill walnuts? Jumbo premiums? Commercially acceptable?

Basically, grape and cannister had specific sizes and quantities per round per caliber-- which is not to say there were never variants. If you want, I'd be more than happy to entertain more specifics and supply you with such information as is available readily available to me. Which means I'll skim through a couplathree books and then try to accomplish something. Finding an answer would count.

Just occurred to me: we are talking CW field artillery aren't we? Not deck-mounted swivel guns or some such?

Ole

Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2006 04:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
leaglebu

Mana: 

Ole,

Although I am a Civil War researcher, I am ignorant when it comes to the armaments of that war.  I asked the rangers at Wilson's Creek National Battlefield near where I live in Springfield, MO and they thought maybe it came from ammo used in siege guns placed in several forts during the Civil War at Springfield, MO.

The size is just a little larger than a standard golf-ball and was found near where the Old Wire Road ran through Springfield.  That road ran from St. Louis through Springfield, Wilson's Creek and on down to Pea Ridge, Arkansas.

I saw a History Channel program about how hot air balloons  were used by the North in the eastern theatre, and a ranger had one in his hand that had been recovered from a basket of a hot air balloon.  I did not catch anything else he had to say about it.

With your explanation, I am assuming it is authenic.

Visit my website at:     http://www.10thmissouricavalry.com

Posted: Sat Dec 9th, 2006 04:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ole

Mana: 

Well, if park rangers are not calling it grape, then it might well be an authentic something else. Ask the same question on civilwarwest. There is a fellow on there that specializes in the obscure.

Ole

Posted: Sat Dec 9th, 2006 05:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
leaglebu

Mana: 

Ole,

Thanks!

Current time is 11:22 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3070 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 25 queries executed.