Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Good book(s) about Battle of Cedar Creek? - Civil War News/ Press Releases - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jul 12th, 2008 12:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Hi folks,

I want to take up learning about a battle I know almost nothing about: Cedar Creek. One problem, though. I can find info on the internet (I just printed out what looks to be a pretty good explanation by Dan Reigle of the Cincinnati CWRT) but I'm kind of old fashioned--I need books to go back to, make notations in, and put book marks in! I spent this afternoon at the local Barnes and Noble and Borders, and wasn't able to find a thing!

Is there any such thing as a good book on Cedar Creek, or maybe one that covers more than one of the Shenandoah Valley battles that has good info on Cedar Creek? If you can help, I'd really appreciate it!

Pam

Posted: Sat Jul 12th, 2008 02:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Basecat

Mana: 

Pam,

There are a couple of older books that I have read on the Battle. Thomas A. Lewis had a book out on the campaign back in 1991..."The Guns of Cedar Creek". Pretty decent book.

Jeff Wert also had a fine study on the Valley Campaign of 1864 that includes information on Cedar Creek. The title is " From Winchester to Cedar Creek: The Shenandoah Campaign of 1864".

Scott Patchan has a newer book that came out last year on the 1864 Valley Campaign as well. It is titled "Shenandoah Summer: The 1864 Valley Campaign".

All can be found on Amazon.com.

Regards from the Garden State,

Steve Basic

Posted: Sat Jul 12th, 2008 06:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
fedreb

Mana: 

I would recommend Jeff Werts' "Winchester to Cedar Creek",

There is also the E.J Stackpole book "Sheridan in the Shenandoah" a little dated in its prose but comprehensive.

I would also suggest a look at the Time Life volume "The Shenandoah in Flames" not only for a pretty good description of the battle but for some great artwork done at the time by James E Taylor, artist-correspondent for Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper.

Posted: Sun Jul 13th, 2008 11:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Basecat and fedreb,

Thanks for your help. Looks like this will keep me busy for a little bit! I am really just starting to look at the battle, but I was really intrigued by a quote I found by Confederate General John Gordon about the battle: "a most brilliant victory converted into one of the most complete and ruinous routs of the entire war." Certainly has me interested!

Pam

Current time is 04:10 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2650 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 25 queries executed.