Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Update Shiloh boundaries to expand - Civil War News/ Press Releases - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Sep 29th, 2008 03:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
browner
nitap

Mana: 

http://www.courieranywhere.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=340&Itemid=61

Last edited on Sun Oct 5th, 2008 04:46 pm by browner

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Mon Sep 29th, 2008 06:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

This is really exciting news Browner. I am so glad for Shiloh. One of my favorite battlefields to visit.
Susan

Posted: Mon Sep 29th, 2008 09:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
browner
nitap

Mana: 

we are pretty excited too. Have heard this may happen for years, so now its finally coming down.

Corinth is getting extra sites turned over to the park service also.  A lot of the earthworks in and about town, and also the Contraband Camp site will hopefully be ready by the end of the year for visitors.

You guys come back through and see us!!!!

Nita

Posted: Tue Sep 30th, 2008 12:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Nita I would love to come back to Shiloh and Corinth .  I love both places.  I was so disappointed last year to miss both of you when I was there. 

Susan

Posted: Tue Sep 30th, 2008 02:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Lucky

Posted: Tue Sep 30th, 2008 11:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
gettysburgerrn

Mana: 

That is great news.....I have never been to SHiloh, is it well preserved ? does it have many monuments?

Ken

Posted: Tue Sep 30th, 2008 12:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Wrap10

Mana: 

Ken,

Yes, Shiloh is very well preserved, due in no small part to its relative isolation. So this grant money is really wonderful news, as it will help ensure a continuation of that, and keep the ever dreaded encroachment monster at bay.

Shiloh does have a large number of markers and monuments. I've seen some folks say that they think it actually has too many monuments, but I guess that's a matter of opinion. But it's very well marked. I think Tom and Nita could address all that better than me, but if you visit the Shiloh site on CivilWarAlbum.com, you can get a sense of the monumentation around the park from the pictures. Here's a link -

http://www.civilwaralbum.com/shiloh/index.htm

Just use the picture index on the left side of the screen.

Also the NPS site for Shiloh has some excellent information, along with some photographs -

http://www.nps.gov/shil

Hope you have a chance to visit someday. It's a beautiful park. In fact, I've sometimes told folks that Shiloh is a lot like Gettysburg, only without the town. And the crowds. :)

Perry

Posted: Tue Sep 30th, 2008 05:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
ArtorBart

Mana: 

Probably couldn't be done, with attendant environmental and safety concerns, but having an 1862-style transport ship {stern- or side-wheel} moored at river's edge or a man-made cove nearby might be an interesting accent to a Shiloh visit.

Could Shiloh be considered one of the earliest joint operations in the ACW? Were the transports part of the USN or just privately hired or abruptly commandeered riverboats?

ArtorBart

P.S.--Beautiful national cemetery, too!

Last edited on Tue Sep 30th, 2008 05:09 pm by ArtorBart

Posted: Tue Sep 30th, 2008 05:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

The name Shiloh means place of peace and although the battle was anything but peaceful I have found it a most peaceful place to visit.  I have been there three times and usually had the place to myself.   The monuments are interesting to see especially the first time when I didn't know that much about the battle.  The Confederate memorial is one of my favorites .  It is so full of symbolism.  This is my favorite Battlefield to visit with Wilson's Creek my second favorite .

The visitors center is old.  I skip the film but across the parking lot is a small newer building with tons of books.  As I have said before the guy that works there is  friendly.  Twice now I have walked out with an armload. 

Last time I stayed in Corinth and drove up to Shiloh.  It felt like I was going back in time.  The woods were all around .  You really have to be going there to go there.  You don't just discover Shiloh . 

Bama I envy you your closeness to the battlefield that you can go there often.  I would if I could.

Susan

Posted: Tue Sep 30th, 2008 06:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

ive never been anywhere except for Fort Fisher and Fort Macon. would love to go to Shiloh and i hope some day i will.

Posted: Tue Sep 30th, 2008 11:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
ole

Mana: 

Whose boats? The USN was heavy in the movement, but there had to have been some hired civilian barges and smaller scuttles just to move the enormous amounts of men and materiel required.

Got to agree with Bama; a period boat tied up at the landing would be adding a Disney touch to an otherwise pristine field. (Which is not to say that there oughtn't be one there now and then.)

Posted: Wed Oct 1st, 2008 02:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
ole

Mana: 

Me too. One day, the availability of coin and time are going to coincide.

Posted: Wed Oct 1st, 2008 02:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Is the Delta Queen still going to be operating next year?  I have heard that it is not not going to because all wooden paddlewheels are going to be banned.   Several friends have  taken the tour.  The Delta  in Delta Queen is the Sacramento Delta as the Delta Queen use to ply the waters of the Sacramento river here in California. 

Susan

Posted: Wed Oct 1st, 2008 02:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I checked and Congress did not give them an extention this year . They are folding after October .

Current time is 11:51 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4455 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 31 queries executed.