Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Update Shiloh boundaries to expand - Civil War News/ Press Releases - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Oct 1st, 2008 04:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Two couples from our Round Table took the trip last spring I think,  They sent me pictures which I put in the newsletter.  They were the ones that mentioned it .  They had the great grandson of Grant on the trip

Susan

Posted: Wed Oct 1st, 2008 03:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
David White

Mana: 

Noooo, that was one of my planned trips someday, please say it isn't so?

Posted: Wed Oct 1st, 2008 04:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
ole

Mana: 

I rarely write my congresscritters. This time will be one of those exceptions. I have been waiting for years for the currency and time to take one of those cruises. Unfortunately, they're dedicated to protecting me from the perils of wooden-hulled pleasure craft, so I can't expect much of a reaction. For those unfamiliar with whom I have to deal with, my senators are Dick Durbin and Barak Obama. Twit city twice.

Posted: Wed Oct 1st, 2008 06:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

What exactly is the reasoning behind regulating a paddlewheel boat?

Posted: Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 02:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

I love Shiloh, so I'm glad of the preservation and money news. I was born and raised in Selmer, about 15 minutes from the battlefield, so I can't count the number of times I've been there. It has been a while, though. I make a point to go see something, marker, monument, etc. that I've never seen before every time I go.

One thing I'd like to see is the replacing and repair of some of the markers which have been broken or missing since I was a kid.

Posted: Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 02:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
ole

Mana: 

You grew up in Selmer? What a neat little town! With that cue shack just south of town! Been about five years now, but we had some difficulty in getting a room anywhere near the park because it was coon hunting season. The motel we ended up in was full -- half coon hunters and half road crew from Arkansas. But it was nice in that there was this neighborhood restaurant down at the end of the lane that served up home-town hospitality

Didn't get to talk much with the coon hunters; they were out all night and slept all day, but when I could corner one, they all had an amazing dog or two. Can you imagine a $10,000 dog? Different strokes. They were a dedicated bunch. More than a few of the road crew were rounded up and jailed. I loved Selmer, Tennessee almost as much as I enjoyed Shiloh. Neat town. Neat people. An altogether neat time.

Posted: Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 03:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
calcav1

Mana: 

barrydancer,

Three years ago the park replaced 12 position markers that have been missing from the park for many years. Another dozen are currently being manufactured. It is a time consuming process as the new signs are required to look identical to the cast iron signs from the early 1900's. If at all possible the signs which are damaged are repaired by the park staff. Since all of the original signs are over 100 years old they are considered cultural resources themselves. The park is also working with the Tennessee Department of Transportation to construct pull-overs on HIghway 22 south of the park, to allow visitors to safely pull over and read these signs without the danger of being run over.

Tom

Last edited on Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 03:07 pm by calcav1

Posted: Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 03:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Tom what a great idea , a pull over so you don't get hit trying to read a sign. I am always so frustrated when I see a historical marker and can't get to it to read it as there is no place to pull off to stop. I remember seeing some of those near Shiloh. Will be nice to beable to read them .
Susan

Posted: Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 06:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

Tom, thanks for the info. Come to think of it, it's probably been about three years or so since I've been able to visit.

ole, Glad you like Selmer. It has its ups and downs, though, like most other places I would imagine.

Posted: Sun Oct 26th, 2008 08:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
calcav1

Mana: 

An update on the Delta Queen.

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-124465

Current time is 06:58 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3724 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 28 queries executed.