Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Civil War News/ Press Releases > Virginia Governor Declares April 'Confederate History Month'.

Virginia Governor Declares April 'Confederate History Month'. - Civil War News/ Press Releases - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Apr 6th, 2010 08:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

Bob McDonnell, Governor of Virginia, declared April Confederate History Month.

http://www.dailypress.com...406apr06,0,4598129.story

Posted: Wed Apr 7th, 2010 12:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Mark

Mana: 

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about from some corners as described in the article. I read the proclamation itself and it seems harmless. It does not mention slavery, however, I think that one would be a fool to think that a Confederate History month would not imply a discussion of slavery in Virginia. If the SCV doesn't want to discuss slavery then others should take this opportunity.

Posted: Wed Apr 7th, 2010 12:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

Right or wrong, slavery was allowed by the American Constitution in that day.  Was slavery bad?  Darn tootin'. 

Posted: Wed Apr 7th, 2010 02:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Old North State

Mana: 

April is an interesting choice for a Confederate History Month.  It was in April that our brothers in S.C. fired on Ft. Sumter, starting the war that devastated our Southland.  It was in April, the next year, that Shiloh was fought, an event not good for the South's cause.  In April 1864 Sherman was readying his destructive move into Georgia and, finally to the sea.  In April 1865 -- well we all know what happened then and it happened in Virginia.  Yes, it's an interesting decision to name April as Confederate History Month.

Posted: Wed Apr 7th, 2010 03:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
HankC

Mana: 

I wonder which months will be declared 'Patriot History Month' and 'World War I History Month'...

HankC

Posted: Wed Apr 7th, 2010 04:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

I do not see a big problem with designating a month as Confederate rememberance. It is after all Virginia where most of the eastern battles of not were located.  If you accept the stated purpose of increasing tourism which in the current economic times makes sense as folks who did not do one or two day travel locations may pick a Va. vacation this year. The contraversy may not be a bad thing.

Posted: Wed Apr 7th, 2010 04:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
HankC

Mana: 

Why not call it 'Civil War History Month'?

HankC

Posted: Wed Apr 7th, 2010 04:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Why did we ever have to have ANY of these: "Months" to begin with?

Posted: Wed Apr 7th, 2010 07:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
borderuffian

Mana: 

HankC wrote: Why not call it 'Civil War History Month'?

HankC

Confederate is better...maybe it should be two months...

Posted: Wed Apr 7th, 2010 07:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
borderuffian

Mana: 

2011 will be the 150th anniversary of the formation of the Confederacy.

What about Confederate History Yeeear.

Posted: Wed Apr 7th, 2010 07:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

HankC wrote: Why not call it 'Civil War History Month'?

HankC

I think that's a much better idea, actually.  More easily encompasses slaves, Virginian's who fought for the Union, reconciliation, etc.

Posted: Thu Apr 8th, 2010 03:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
jbarrett202@verizon.net

Mana: 

I feel that some people would complain about any name for it.Race will always be a problem to some.Its not enough to have Black History month or the nigro college fund.If we had White History month or the White college fund the country would blow apart.Slavery was a part of the Civil War,but not for everyone.My great-great grandad fought in the 29th Va.Infantry there were no slaves in that part of Virginia or the part now known as W.Va. where I live.So to say slavery was the reason all Southern Soildiers fought is ignorance!Before the raciest messages start flowing some of my Best Friends are colored,I say colored as statement of respect,I do not judge the race but the person!

Posted: Thu Apr 8th, 2010 02:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
HankC

Mana: 

some may say that *every* month is Confederate Histroy Month in the old dominion ;)

HankC

Posted: Thu Apr 8th, 2010 02:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
HankC

Mana: 

Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell issued the following statement Wednesday evening:

“The proclamation issued by this Office designating April as Confederate History Month contained a major omission. The failure to include any reference to slavery was a mistake, and for that I apologize to any fellow Virginian who has been offended or disappointed. The abomination of slavery divided our nation, deprived people of their God-given inalienable rights, and led to the Civil War. Slavery was an evil, vicious and inhumane practice which degraded human beings to property, and it has left a stain on the soul of this state and nation. In 2007, the Virginia General Assembly approved a formal statement of “profound regret” for the Commonwealth’s history of slavery, which was the right thing to do.

When I signed the Proclamation designating February as Black History Month, and as I look out my window at the Virginia Civil Rights Memorial, I am reminded that, even 150 years later, Virginia’s past is inextricably part of our present. The Confederate History Month proclamation issued was solely intended to promote the study of our history, encourage tourism in our state in advance of the 150th Anniversary of the beginning of the Civil War, and recognize Virginia’s unique role in the story of America. The Virginia General Assembly unanimously approved the establishment of a Sesquicentennial American Civil War Commission to prepare for and commemorate the 150th Anniversary of the War, in order to promote history and create recognition programs and activities.

Posted: Thu Apr 8th, 2010 03:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
jbarrett202@verizon.net

Mana: 

Amen! It is like the American West,A state of mind!

Posted: Fri Apr 9th, 2010 02:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Reb till death

Mana: 

It is just yet again a reminder as to why this war never will end. Yeah maybe the war aspect but the effect is still here. It is very difficult to talk of the war without starting a heated disscusion. Names are called out and even sometimes fights. It is because of our nations ignorance to what the war was and not just what the two sides say it is. Down South its State Rights and Slavery was just a issue made up by the north to gain enlistment. Slavery was an issue not the start. Up North it is all about how the South was nasty and southern people are racist and owned slaves and we fought this war for to free them. Schools dont let the students learn either. History Books tell the story to what every side they are used for. It is sad because I sat in my High School American History Class and listen to my own teacher say things that are wrong of the south. She couldnt even say the right flag as the Confederate flag. She said it was the Confederate Battle Flag not the Stars and Bars. She had alot of so many wrong facts that I was ignored when I would raise my hand to correct her. I am sorry to say also down south its the same. I mean maybe if they nation as a whole knew the story of the Civil War they would realize that just because Slavery was a Issue doesnt mean it started the war. It was many issue yet this one always seems to be said it is the only issue.

Last edited on Fri Apr 9th, 2010 02:34 pm by Reb till death

Posted: Fri Apr 9th, 2010 02:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
HankC

Mana: 

The governor inadvertently entered a discussion which, to me, is an attempt by others to limit the dialogue on Confederate history to 1861-1865 and then only to topics of their liking.

Modern Confederate Virginians , carrying century-old banners and rhetoric, fought the ‘battles’ of Prince Edward County, ‘Massive Resistance’ in the 1950s and up to the Arthur Ashe and Lincoln monuments in Richmond.

Among their ‘generals’ were Governor and Senator Harry Byrd and editor and columnist James J. Kilpatrick.

HankC

Posted: Tue Apr 13th, 2010 04:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Old Sorrel

Mana: 

Just another blown out of proportion politician playing the race card to gander up controversy where none is needed. What else is new. They want to have a Confederate Heritage month. Fine.........whats the big deal.

A quote from the article:

Black members of the General Assembly, all Democrats, said McDonnell's proclamation was "ofensive and offered a disturbing revision of the Civil War and the brutal era that followed."  

These guys need to get over themselves. Just my humble opinion.:dude:

Posted: Tue Apr 13th, 2010 04:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
HankC

Mana: 

The governors want a month dedicated to Confederate history, but, in their minds, 'slavery is a bad thing...goes without saying."

That's the problem...

Posted: Tue Apr 13th, 2010 07:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
Old Sorrel

Mana: 

HankC wrote: The governors want a month dedicated to Confederate history, but, in their minds, 'slavery is a bad thing...goes without saying."

That's the problem...

Howdy HankC,

Sorry but I dont see what the big deal is. Maybe I'm missing something. Slavery doesn't have to be included in everything regarding the Civil War. IMHO:)

Current time is 11:11 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Civil War News/ Press Releases > Virginia Governor Declares April 'Confederate History Month'.

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3458 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 27 queries executed.