Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

I'm writing a book - Battle of Gettysburg - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
You have chosen to ignore Southern Son. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri May 16th, 2008 05:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Reb till death

Mana: 

Oh I reckon we wil get along. I have written a few myself but the sad part is it is way to exspensive for a 15-year-old to publish a book now and days. You should start looking into that. Contact a few people. You have an interesting plot Have you figured who this guys unit will be the people here can help you there. Trust me it is really alot easier to write when you dont have to worry about the reasearch. I cant wait to hear it.

Reb till death

Posted: Sun May 18th, 2008 10:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
boxley

Mana: 

Having recently completed my own novel - "Dear Jennie" - I can tell you that you must be willing to do a great deal of research and spend a large amount of time working on your story in order to make it believable. Not to mention the difficulty in having your work published, especially being a first time author and being so young. After so many rejections from established book publishing companies, I eventually had to go the self publishing route. My advice to you would be to write your story because you enjoy writing it and not because of any future riches that you think you may gain from it. Writing should always be enjoyable, and any other benefit that you may gain from it should be secondary. Good luck to you and remember to have fun with it!!!!! 

Posted: Sun May 25th, 2008 03:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

i would help but poems and short stories and kids stories are about all i can write

Posted: Mon May 26th, 2008 09:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
ole

Mana: 

The proper procedure is to develop an interesting concept, write a sample chapter and then go to an agent to sell it for you. Writing it first exposes you to a lot of work for no more than your own enjoyment. Acknowledging Boxley's comment that the effort must first be fun, I'll not work night and day unless there is at least a promise of a paycheck at the end. And, first, you have to sell the agent on representing you.

ole

Posted: Mon May 26th, 2008 10:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
boxley

Mana: 

With all due respect to Ole, who says that he would not invest a great deal of time writing without the promise of a paycheck at the end, I think that a writer who is  looking primarily at the monetary aspect of writing is cheating himself, his readers and even his story be being so short-sighted. I'm not saying that he should not hope to gain from his writing, but as difficult as it is to have a publisher to just look at your work - even with an agent, which I have - he could be setting himself up for a great dissapointment if financial gain was the main focus in writing his book. I do understand where Ole is coming from, in the sense that we hope to be compensated for the time that we spend away from friends and family when we choose to take on  a project such as a novel, but as far as I'm concerned, if it's not fun, why do it? And Ole, I mean no disrespect to you with my comments.

Posted: Mon May 26th, 2008 11:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
TimK

Mana: 

I think one of the great things about living in the electronic age that we live in, is that anybody can publish just about anything they want. Of course, there is a cost, and it is up to the author if they want to pay that cost.

Also, ole, and I also say this with respect, the definition of a paycheck may be different for different people. Working (although I have never thought of researching something I love to research work) night and day may not result in a large monetary sum, but accomplishment of a major project can provide a feeling better than a paycheck. Of course, when you do get to that point, it is an awesome feeling when people do give you money for something that you created.

I would never want to dissuade people from using their ability to imagine and create because the money might not be there at the end.

Posted: Mon May 26th, 2008 11:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
boxley

Mana: 

Well said, TimK!

Current time is 03:20 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3451 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 26 queries executed.