Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Irish Brigade question - Battle of Gettysburg - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jul 3rd, 2010 03:57 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Michael F. Blake

Mana: 

While watching my DVD of GETTYSBURG last night (God, the beard work is just awful...), I noticed that during Pickett's charge there appears to be an Irish Brigade flag at the stone wall on the Union side.  Unfortuantely, there isn't a good view of the flag. 

Was the Irish Brigade at the stone wall when the Confederates reached the stone wall?

Thanks in advance!

Posted: Sat Jul 3rd, 2010 12:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Mark

Mana: 

The Irish brigade was not at the angle, however Gen. Webb's Philadelphia Brigade-2BDE, 1DIV, 2Corps (69th, 71st, 72nd and 106th PA) was at the center of the charge. Many of the members of that brigade were of Irish decent. One of those regiments (Off the top of my head I think it was the 69th PA) carried a green flag similar to the famous Irish brigade flags. Hope that helps.

Mark

Posted: Sat Jul 3rd, 2010 05:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Michael F. Blake

Mana: 

Thank you, Mark! :)

Posted: Sat Jul 3rd, 2010 05:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

The Irish (kelly's) Brigade was part of Hancocks Corp, Caldwell's Division, which rushed to the Wheatfield area on July 2 in order to aid Sickles Corp. I believe they were part of 3 other brigades which were sent to that area. Don't know where they were on the next day, will have to consult my references. If I remember correctly, it was just a shadow of its former self at GB.

Doc C

Posted: Sun Jul 4th, 2010 04:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
CameronsHighlander

Mana: 

I think the confusion comes because of the 69th PA and 69th NY the Markes are very clear but Few people actually pay attention to what they read, but a green flag and Reb reports could also add to the confusion with Distance and Smoke. Don't Forget that Union and Confederate Generals Mixed the Stars & Bars for the Stars & Stripes at Bull Run/Manassas.

I had a person see me wearing a kepi ask me where the 69th New York was in Gettysburg I pointed toward Little Round top "That way, Their Monument has an Irish Setter on it and a Celtic Cross can't miss it, it's right next to the Road" their responce "That Marker says 69th on it." I told them "Thats the 69th Pennsylvania"

Last edited on Thu Jul 8th, 2010 03:55 am by CameronsHighlander

Current time is 10:10 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1473 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 25 queries executed.