Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Gettysburg or Vicksburg ? - Battle of Gettysburg - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Feb 22nd, 2007 07:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Hello, JDC:

I sure am looking forward to hearing others’ thoughts on this one!

Gettysburg, over the Fourth, has been a really wonderful experience for me.  But a lot of that has been the camaraderie as well as the pageantry (love those nights at the Cashtown Inn!).  However, when I try to imagine G-Burg over the sesquicentennial, my mind starts to implode...for me, it may just be TOO crowded and overwhelming to really enjoy, unless I’m participating in something structured with good friends for the duration – either reenacting or filming or doing photography – then, it’s fun no matter where or even how crowded it is.  Whatever the case, The Spectacle will be without parallel, I'm guessing. 

Vicksburg, on the other hand, may provide a very moving tribute to a generally less celebrated, but also very deeply moving event in history.  Perhaps the experience there may be more personalized, while equally as moving?  And, considering that the Battle of G-burg took place in three days while the Siege of V-burg took months, well, might there be more diversity in the V-burg rememberence?

Then, of course, G-burg is basically a village, and Vicksburg a city, so how will that enter into the equation?  Guess I have to start watching the V-burg sesquicentennial sites.

I honestly don't know, but if I had to make my choice today, I'd choose Vicksburg for the Fourth, and maybe do G-Burg on Remembrance Day, which will also be huge.

OK, I’m talking off the top of my head – but it’s a really good question, and someone has to get the ball rolling.  

To tell the truth, until I read this, I was just thinking, “To G-burg or not to G-burg, that is that question…” (I can drive there in nine hours, which is easy for me, done it often).  Now, you’ve got me thinking, “HMMMMMmmmmm:  Vicksburg!!!!!  Two days, but worth the trip?”

Well, you're very smart to make reservations now!!!!  

Yours, 

Joanie

Last edited on Thu Feb 22nd, 2007 09:21 pm by JoanieReb

Posted: Thu Feb 22nd, 2007 11:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I love Gettysburg, but I have to love it because I grew up just a few miles away. But I love Gettysburg quiet. I need and want the peace to think of what happened and to feel the vibes ( for want of a better word.) I especailly like the battle field in  the winter with snow on the ground or in the autumn when the leaves are gorgeous up around Biglerville and at Caledonia State Park. 

It is beautiful, too, just as the sun is setting. I love it up on Little Round Top then or climbing up to the top of Devil's Den. Besides some of the fiercest battles were fought around sunset at this hallowed ground.

I don't think I would want all that pageantry. OK, maybe it would be a moving experience to see the re-enactors doing Pickett's charge or see a re-enactment of the cavalry action at the East Cavalry Field.  I've often thought about what a spectacular event the artllery barrage was just before that tragic charge.

But where you can you stay? You might be able to stay in Chambersburg or Carlisle, even Hagerstown. But it isn't the same having to travel that distance and I bet Gettysburg will have traffic gridlock.  On a typical summer night in G-burg, the restaurants are jam packed.  At a huge festival...well, I can't even imagine.

Maybe I'd take the advice above and go to Vicksburg and surrounding areas.

Last edited on Thu Feb 22nd, 2007 11:04 pm by CleburneFan

Posted: Fri Feb 23rd, 2007 12:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

I would say which ever one you choose to go to, make sure you go back again at a time when the crowds are gone.  That's when you will have the best chance of soaking it all in.  Do some investigating and find out what all will be going on at both sites.  Good luck!

Fuller

Posted: Fri Feb 23rd, 2007 11:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Do Antietam first then wait for the lemmings to leave Gettysburg then go.

Doc C

Posted: Fri Feb 23rd, 2007 04:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
ole

Mana: 

Best time to visit Gettysburg, as I understand it, is anytime outside of early July. unless you start making reservations for 2013 right now. The sesquicentiennial would be nice to plan for, but I wouldn't be there on that date and year for any amount of money.

Ole

Posted: Fri Feb 23rd, 2007 04:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

JDC,

It just occurred to me to ask, will you be reenacting?  If so, I think that could certainly make a difference in your choice.

Joanie

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sat Feb 24th, 2007 12:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
medicboymatt

Mana: 

Gettysburg or Vicksburg? A tough choice, to be sure. The emotional favorite is undoubtedly Gettysburg, for most. It would be visually spectactular! But I think the Gettysburg area's civil infrastructure wouldn't be able to handle the multitudes efficiently. From what I understand, it can be vexing on even a "normal" anniversary observance. For the 150th, it's very probable that gridlock, inadaquete sanitary, food, and lodging resources would lead to an epic meltdown of frustration and disappointment. Sort of like a Woodstock in Blue and Grey, without the brown acid.

Last edited on Sat Feb 24th, 2007 12:53 am by medicboymatt

Posted: Sat Feb 24th, 2007 12:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Widow

Mana: 

The NPS doesn't allow reenacting on its property.  The reason is to protect the ground.  Maybe for the 150th they might change their mind.  But I doubt it.  Can you imagine thousands of reenactors and zillions of spectators?  Just think of the lines at the porta-potties, all along Emmitsburg Road or in the middle of the Peach Orchard.  Not a pretty picture.

I agree with the rest of you.  Visit the park when it's quiet and you can have time to think and absorb.

Someday I'll see Vicksburg, but again, not for a major event.

Patty

Posted: Sat Feb 24th, 2007 01:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Vicksburg; it was the decisive victory of the war; the one deciding campaign that the CS could never recover from.  Plus; it's closer to where the real fighting was won:) out west.

Posted: Sat Feb 24th, 2007 01:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
medicboymatt

Mana: 

I agree. In the strategic sense, the Vicksburg campaign and defeat doomed the South. The defeat at Gettysburg was frosting on Mr Lincoln's cake. Even if Ewell had grown a pair and taken Cemetery Hill, even if Longstreet had stopped pouting and gotten his rear in gear earlier, I don't think a Confederate victory in PA would have changed the outcome of the War for the better, for either the North or the South.

Posted: Sat Feb 24th, 2007 03:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

Vicksburg was spread out over months  while Gettysburg was  only 3 days. If that helps ya deside.

Widow , Its not that nessary  that the NPS  wants to protect the ground. but that its hollowed  ground.  Nothing that we could portray as a reenactor   could even comke close to what thoses brave men,  boys and in some cases women went through.

While most Parks  has there living history programs. Stones River the past two years has  doing the closest i seen  to actually  having  a reenactment on  NPS property.

I am part of the Volunteer Reenactors that do living history programs there through out the year.

On the Anv.  both Union and confederate reenactors  take turns firing  there weapon .( never at each other ) but  crisscrossing each other .  While a Park ranger  and other reenactors tell the story  of what happend through first person accounts.

I'm not sure if other parks do the same thing but if you ever Get to Middle Tn  on Dec 31st  stop by and say hi.

Steven

Posted: Sat Feb 24th, 2007 03:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Johnny Huma
Johnny Huma

Mana: 

Duncan,

I love Gettysburg and go there often. I only live about 3 hrs from it in Central Pa. I have to agree with a lot who are saying stay away.....The events there will be spectacular I am sure but as said before the Burg is just that a Burg. It can take hours to cover a mile of roadway there when the town is booming. I would love to go to a reenactment there and on one occasion made a turn off the Emmitsburg road following the signs to the reenactment grounds. Oh My God was I sorry for that....It took me 2 and 1/2 hours just to bypass the site. Traffic was gridlocked and cars were overheating and I would have paid 10 bucks for a cold Coke it was so hot...When I got thru the mess I never looked back and kept driving to God knew where but came out ok in the end. I think if your going to make that long of a trip to get there you may end up saying "Why did I do this".. Again Gettyburg is my favorite field and love what the Park Service is doing to restore it but pick another time where you can enjoy the park and the Burg itself. Gettysburg is always busy except for the winter months. I love going there in the Fall as the leaves are changing and although still a lot of people there, it does not even come close to the events in July..And 2013 is gonna be the worst..If you do go God bless ya and hope ya enjoy it all...As you say you have been there before so depending on when you visited you probably already know this stuff...

Huma

Posted: Sun Feb 25th, 2007 04:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I can't imagine how crowded Gettysburg will be .  The last time I was there was two years ago in May.  The week end of the Blue and Gray soccer tournament .  Now the battlefield wasn't bad.  But I swear I must have gotten the last room in the town.  I didn't have reservations.  Then I wanted to have dinner in my favorite place so sat and waited two hours to have dinner.  Since I was on the road all day I almost fell alseep in my crab cakes.  Took my gingerbread back to the motel.  Still I had to eat with about a million (give or take 999,999 kids ).  The next morning trying to find a place to eat breakfas was even worse  Check before you go and see if they are having the soccer tournament that weekend  Seems like it was right before memorial day . 

I woud raher go to Vicksburg for many reasons.  For one from California it is closer .  I evy you all that can be in Gettysburg in a few hours . 

Posted: Sun Feb 25th, 2007 04:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I can't imagine how crowded Gettysburg will be .  The last time I was there was two years ago in May.  The week end of the Blue and Gray soccer tournament .  Now the battlefield wasn't bad.  But I swear I must have gotten the last room in the town.  I didn't have reservations.  Then I wanted to have dinner in my favorite place so sat and waited two hours to have dinner.  Since I was on the road all day I almost fell alseep in my crab cakes.  Took my gingerbread back to the motel.  Still I had to eat with about a million (give or take 999,999 kids ).  The next morning trying to find a place to eat breakfas was even worse  Check before you go and see if they are having the soccer tournament that weekend  Seems like it was right before memorial day . 

I woud raher go to Vicksburg for many reasons.  For one from California it is closer .  I evy you all that can be in Gettysburg in a few hours . 

Posted: Mon Feb 26th, 2007 03:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

I do attend many re-enactments, and take black & white photographs with an old 35mm Nikon.
JDC,

I hope we have not scared you off from visitng either of the sites!  I think that is great you have the hobby of photographing the events.  If you are one of those who tries to capture the moment as if it was 1863, then an even bigger high five.  There is nothing worse than seeing a great shot of reenactors with a Buick or grandma in her coolots and fanny pack in the background.  Anywho, that's great you are planning the trip and let us know where you finally decide to go.

Fuller

Current time is 12:03 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1935 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 27 queries executed.