Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Shiloh Letter - The Battle of Shiloh - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Nov 10th, 2006 02:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
calcav

Mana: 

Close. He was at Adamsville with Col. Charles Whittlesay's brigade. Follow the link to a photo of the 78th's monument at Shiloh.

http://www.shilohbattlefield.org/closeup.asp?ClosePhoto=TN003M145C.jpg

The brigade of four Ohio regiments, to wit, the Twentieth, Fifty-sixth, Seventy-sixth and Seventy-eighth, was encamped at Adamsville, 4 miles from Crumps. It formed in line early Sunday morning, April 6, 1862, when firing was heard at Shiloh, with all its camp equipage on wagons, and remained in line until 2 p.m., when orders were received to join the other brigades en route for Shiloh. It marched on direct road toward Pittsburg, falling in behind the other brigades as they came back into that road from the countermarch. At about 4 p.m. the Fifty-sixth was detached and ordered to go with baggage to Crump's Landing. The other regiments arrived on the battlefield after dark and bivouacked in front of the camp of the Eighty-first Ohio. Monday morning the brigade formed the extreme right of Union line, its right, the Seventy-sixth, on the swamps of Owl Creek, the Seventy-eighth on the left in rear of the right of the Second Brigade, the Twentieth in reserve, until it crossed Tilghman Creek, when it took position on the right. Retaining this formation the brigade advanced, swinging to the left until 11 a.m., when it was transferred to left of the division in support of Stuart's brigade of Sherman's division. The Seventy-sixth remained on the left, the other regiments soon returned to the right, the Twentieth in front line, the Seventy-eighth in reserve. The last engagement by this brigade was between the Twentieth Ohio, in the field near McDowell's headquarters, and Confederates at camp of Forty-sixth Ohio. The brigade bivouacked in camp of Sixth Iowa Monday night.

Posted: Sun Nov 12th, 2006 02:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

"Shiloh and it's slanderers!  Will the world ever aquit me of them?  If I were guilty, I would not feel them so keenly"

Lew Wallace

Posted: Thu Mar 25th, 2010 10:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
spoofseeker

Mana: 

THat was a wonderful letter, thank you so much for sharing. My team and I have done several investigations @ Corinth, Ms. {directly South of Shiloh} where they tried to take the Railroad. My clients house sat where the 16th Iowa engaged. Needless to say a very active location!

Posted: Fri Mar 26th, 2010 02:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
sparsgibby

Mana: 

I love this forum. I don't know much about the history of the civil war but I am sure I can find all sorts of information here. I know some of my family was involved.

Current time is 08:28 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1455 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 25 queries executed.