Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Battle of Perryville (Chaplin Hills) - Other Western Theater and Trans-Miss. - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Sep 16th, 2009 04:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
mike46142

Mana: 

I will do my best to do what I can to get you some really good photographs!
I will walk the path taken by the 45th as best I can.

you should check out our website sometime.
http://www.adarkandbloodyground.com

Posted: Wed Sep 16th, 2009 04:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
mike46142

Mana: 

Looking from the base of Bull Run Creek, at the intermediate hill, beyond which Peters Hill lies. The ground in front of you was the ground that Dan Adams's Confederate Brigade traveled on their way to flanking Lytle's Union position on Loomis's Heights. The Doctors Creek tree line is on the right

Attachment: perry0035.jpg (Downloaded 28 times)

Posted: Wed Sep 16th, 2009 04:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
mike46142

Mana: 

Viewing the Slocumb Confederate Battery position (the white barn) from the northern slope of the intermediate hill before Peters Hill

Attachment: perry0036.jpg (Downloaded 28 times)

Posted: Wed Sep 16th, 2009 04:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
mike46142

Mana: 

Looking northeast, towards the Darden Battery positions from the northern slope of the intermediate hill before Peters Hill. Bull Run Creek runs across the center of the picture, right to left

Attachment: perry0037.jpg (Downloaded 28 times)

Posted: Wed Sep 16th, 2009 04:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
mike46142

Mana: 

View to the south, at Peters Hill on the Springfield Pike.

Maverick, this would have been the path your ancestors would have taken to Peter's Hill.  They massed along the Springfield Pike before advancing on Sheridan.

Attachment: perry0040.jpg (Downloaded 28 times)

Posted: Thu Sep 17th, 2009 11:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
Maverick
45th Alabama Inf., Co. F

Mana: 

I'm much obliged for the help....and the book link, Mike. I'll place the book on my X-Mas list. ;)

I hope you enjoy the reenactment and your tour of the hallowed ground of Perryville. I wish I could make it there and walk/discus the battle with a group of folks like yourself.

Currently, my only book on the battle is entitled "Perryville (Kentucky)" by Noe. I'm not sure of it's historical accuracy ?---but I enjoyed it. (if one can really 'enjoy' reading of the death and destruction called the American Civil War) It's good to refresh the memory of the heroic deeds of all the brave men.

**edit: Wow ! Your last posts didn't show until after I had posted the above. The photos are great and show the terrain very well. Thank you for taking the time to post them, Mike ! I'll add them to my personal collection with your name in credit.

Cheers,
Mav 

Last edited on Thu Sep 17th, 2009 11:20 am by Maverick

Posted: Thu Sep 17th, 2009 11:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
mike46142

Mana: 

Kenneth Noe is an excellent author and his book is very accurate. 
Reading that book will give you a total understanding of the battle itself.

Posted: Thu Sep 17th, 2009 12:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
Maverick
45th Alabama Inf., Co. F

Mana: 

mike46142 wrote: Kenneth Noe is an excellent author and his book is very accurate. 
Reading that book will give you a total understanding of the battle itself.

Good deal, then. I've read it 2 times.

Posted: Sat Sep 19th, 2009 11:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
Maverick
45th Alabama Inf., Co. F

Mana: 

My direct ancestor, Pvt. John Morgan Adams, Co. D, 45th Alabama Infantry was in Powell's Brigade at Perryville. After Perryville, he was mustered into Lowrey's Brigade of Patrick Cleburne's Division, Hardee's Corps, where he served until being mortally wounded in the battle of Atlanta, Georgia (Bald Hill) on 22 July, 1864 while attacking the Iowa brigade.
In my ancestor's war letters sent home, he mentioned the death of Gen. (James S.) Jackson during the battle. He either witnessed the event or it made an impression on his mind. (This was the first major battle he participated in.) The letters are now lost via 'family' who didn't value them as family heirlooms and I have only a few brief quotes left. Sad...

Source ~ From Gen. W.J. Hardee's afterbattle report:"The brigade of Brigadier-General Johnson gallantly led the advance, with Brigadier-General Cleburne’s as a support, while the brigade of General St. John R. Liddell was held as a reserve. The brigades of John C. Brown and Jones, of Anderson’s, and [S. A. M.] Wood, of Buckner’s division, had been detached to occupy the interval between the right of Buckner and the left of Cheatham, and the two remaining brigades of Anderson’s division, under command of General [D. W.] Adams and Col. [Sam.] Powell, [Twenty-ninth Tennessee], covered the extreme left of our line. By this time, Cheatham being hotly engaged, the brigades of Johnson and Cleburne attacked the angle of the enenmy's line with great impetuosity near the burnt barn while those of Wood, Brown, and Jones dashed against their line more to the right, on the left of Cheatham. Simultaneously the brigades of Adams and Powell, on the left of Cleburne and Johnson, assailed the enemy in front, while Adams’, diverging to the right, united with Buckner’s left. The whole force thus united then advanoed, aided by a crushing fire from the artillery, which partially enfiladed their lines. This combined attack was irresistible, and drove the enemy in wild disorder from the position nearly a mile to the rear. Cheatham and Wood captured the enemy’s battery in front of Wood, and among the pieces and amid the dead and dying was found the body of General James S. Jackson, who commanded a division of the enemy at that point."

Current time is 12:55 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1663 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 26 queries executed.