Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

ACW-era plant & seed sources? - Food,Cooking and Gardening - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Mar 12th, 2009 11:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Seamus116PVI

Mana: 

Anyone know a quality mail order catalog seller or two selling "grow your own" plant varieties (flowers and vegetables) likely to have been grown in 1860s-era flower and food gardens?

Seeking web links and/or email contact addresses to 21st century source(s) from which to possibly purchase "authentic" plants. 

Not seeking general "sorta-kinda varieties similar to heirloom ones information" info.

Topic discussion welcome.

Seamus116PVI

Posted: Fri Mar 13th, 2009 06:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Not sure they have 1860 plants but Monticello and Plimonth Plantation have various heirloom plants on line at the two websites.  I have purchased seeds from both sites and the plants are wonderful. 

Posted: Fri Mar 13th, 2009 07:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Susan, you beat me to the post--I was going to mention Monticello, too. I also have found that a place outside Lancaster, PA called Landis Valley Museum has their own heirloom seed program as part of the village living history museum there. They actually have a terrific Herb and Plant Fair on Mother's Day weekend where they sell heirloom plants they have grown from their seed, as well. They have flowers, veggies, and herbs. Seamus, you can order their seeds on line, and they are all hand-packaged.

Regards,

Pam

Posted: Fri Mar 13th, 2009 10:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Oh?  I want to go to the plant sale.  Oh wait Lancaster is too far to go except Lancaster California and it is high desert.

Oh well.

Susan

Posted: Sun Mar 15th, 2009 05:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
buzzard

Mana: 

Another great heirloom seed group can be found at http://www.seedsavers.org

My wife grows nothing but heirloom plants, using organic growing methods. She has used their seeds for several years.

They have a great website starting their exchange with seed from 1870's plants. Certainly seed contributions to this organization through the years are of descent from plants of the era you are looking for. Their claim is that exchange members have passed on approximately one million samples of rare garden seeds to other gardeners.

If it was not for organizations such as this saving these rare seeds, commercial seed producers would have all but eliminated them from the market to protect the hybridized seed market their business is based upon.

Buzzard

Posted: Sun Mar 15th, 2009 05:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Pam, have you ever seen the plant Love Lies Bleeding ?  The first time I saw it was at Fort Vancouver in Washington State . (Grant was stationed here )   It is one of the most beautiful plants I have ever seen.  It has Fuscia colored flowers that hang down like tiny grapes from the stems.  It grows quite tall.  I bought some seeds and planted them in my flowerbed.  For several years they reseeded themselves in various parts of my yard as the wind blew the seeds.  Several friends saw them and asked for seeds. 

Hmm need to get some more and plant them as the plants are not coming up anymore. 

I keep saying I would love to plant an herb garden based on booklets I have bought on Colonial herb gardens.  Alas right now all I have is my lavender bush with my tacky pink famingos popping up in and around it . 

Susan

Posted: Sun Mar 15th, 2009 11:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Susan, yes I have seen Love Lies Bleeding, tho I've never grown it. I like unique plants, and it's one of the more unique plants I've seen. Is it easy to grow? Does it self-seed easily?

I've always liked the idea of a four-square type of colonial garden, with a fountain, a topiary or somesuch in the middle of the squares. I have pretty many heirlooms and hand-me-downs from relatives and friends, but I haven't yet had the time for a true colonial garden. That's on my "someday" list!

Susan, what "zone" are you out there? What grows well in your area--besides the lavender and pink flamingos, that is?

Pam

Posted: Mon Mar 16th, 2009 02:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Love Lies bleeding is very easy to grow and reseeds easy . Not always where it was before !!!!  The wind blows the seeds everywhere. 

I am not sure of my zone but almost anything can grow here , mild climate all year.  Southern California near the ocean.   Only problem is my soil is like rock  or clay.  It use to be the oil fields. 

I don't know much about gardening but love flowers . 

Posted: Fri Feb 28th, 2014 03:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
wondering

Mana: 

susansweet3 wrote:
I don't know much about gardening but love flowers. 

Crocuses, lilies, tulips, asleep in a bed of snow; can't wait for spring. Gardening is appreciation for creation, a most peaceful and rewarding pastime. What is mankind without nature?

Current time is 08:55 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3456 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.