Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

What century is this??? - Food,Cooking and Gardening - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Apr 3rd, 2009 09:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
csacook

Mana: 

Just glancing over the recipe selections...you'all got to try harder. This forum shouldn't be what you're fix'n your date when they come home from work. Do some  real research, go to the library or google it, at the very least pick up some pamphlet at some event and practice. The best coffee and roast chicken I've ever had was out in the field.

Posted: Sat Apr 4th, 2009 06:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Does it say "19th Century Food, Cooking and Gardening?"

Many of the people here have done quite a bit of real research. Buried w/in the forum are quite a few period recipes as well as more modern ones.

One of my pet peeves has always been attending an event and seeing gobs of instant coffee or corn on the cob boling in a big cast iron pot... in June. Excessive canzas and cast iron in an infantry camp is also amusing... quite a few re-enactors are nothing more than theme campers. And there's nothing wrong w/ that, people should be comfortable w/ what they're doing. This isn't the A/C but CWI where a lot of people get together over the net and learn about the various subjects. Some are interested in the weapons, tactics, people etc. whatever floats the boat.

So start the thread on period only recipes... put them up and tell us how you prepare them in a period manner. You'll probably even get some recipes and might even learn something. In other words contribute something.

Posted: Sat Apr 4th, 2009 07:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
ole

Mana: 

Get up in a bad mood, Johan? When it comes time to eat, I don't much care if the BBQ sauce is period. Me be farb. There is a point at which reality sucks and that point is the sauce. Scuzi. Grated parmesan belongs on spaghetti, and I don't care whose war it is.

Ole

Posted: Sun Apr 5th, 2009 03:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Bad weekend... bad week. Feels like two steps back right now.

Grated Parmisan... ummm.

Wife made a huge Greek Meal last night. Legof lamb, Fried Cheese, Greek salad, Greek vegetables and lemon rice soup. Life is good when you marry a good cook.

Posted: Thu Sep 17th, 2009 09:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Old Sorrel

Mana: 

Johan Steele wrote: Bad weekend... bad week. Feels like two steps back right now.

Grated Parmisan... ummm.

Wife made a huge Greek Meal last night. Legof lamb, Fried Cheese, Greek salad, Greek vegetables and lemon rice soup. Life is good when you marry a good cook.

Hello Johan,

This might be a stupid question.....but how do you fry cheese? It sounds different.....but I keep getting this visual of a huge mess...lol......so whats the secrete?

Posted: Fri Sep 18th, 2009 05:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Love fried cheese.

Posted: Fri Sep 18th, 2009 03:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
ole

Mana: 

That might refer to saganaki, where the set it afire with brandy and douse it with lemon juice to cries of "oooopa."

Ole

Posted: Sat Sep 19th, 2009 02:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I love mozzarella cheese breaded, deep fat fried and served with marinara sauce. That is a treat I love, but am forbidden to eat.

Posted: Mon Aug 15th, 2011 09:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Old Sorrel wrote: Johan Steele wrote: Bad weekend... bad week. Feels like two steps back right now.

Grated Parmisan... ummm.

Hello Johan,

This might be a stupid question.....but how do you fry cheese? It sounds different.....but I keep getting this visual of a huge mess...lol......so whats the secrete?

I'd probably try double batterring kinda like I do with my fried fish. Well actually I do more of a double dredge where I go into the egg wash, then the seasoned flour, then repeat the process a second time before I put it into the oil. I like it and it tends to be crispy as long as I get to it fairly soon.

Current time is 04:20 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1654 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 28 queries executed.