Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Leftovers re-hashed - Food,Cooking and Gardening - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Nov 24th, 2012 02:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Ok, so it's now two days after Thanksgiving, the leftover period. Time for turkey sandwiches, turkey noodle soup, potato pancakes, and any other leftovers folks come up with. Usually I do the whole turkey sandwich, turkey noodle soup, Thanksgiving dinner pita sandwich, potato pancake route.

Tried a recipe out of Civil War Recipes edited by Lily May Spulding and Jown Spaulding today. The "To 'Devil' Turkey" recipe. I'm prety sure I saw it on CWi years ago and tried it then, either leaving out quite a or I did way too much cayenne and didn't have the stuff to make the sauce. Either way I didn't really care for it. This was back around a decade ago.

This time I decided to try it again. For those who don't have the recipe, in the book it's

To "Devil" Turkey*
[1860]

Mix a little salt, black pepper, and Cayenne. and sprinkle the mixture over the gizzard, rump, and drumstick of a dressed turkey; broil them and serve very hot with this sauce: mix with some of the gravy out of the dish, a little made mustard, some butter and flour, a spoonful of lemon-juice, and the same of soy; boil up the whole.

If you want to know what that asterisk is then I suggest you get a copy of the book. The recipe is on page 142.

I didn't exactly make it up as it says in the book. For starters I used a bit of the breast and a wing for the meat. Also I'm not exactly sure on the soy. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere, probably on here, that there used to be various kinds of soy, not just the soy sauce we tend to think of today. What I did was to take a dash of cayenne, a dash of salt, and a dash of pepper and mixed that up. Rather than dirty too many dishes I made up a little aluminum foil pan and I broke up the turkey meat into this before sprinkling with the spices which were then worked into the meat to season it all. This was put into the over to broil while I worked on the sauce.

For the sauce I took some of the turkey broth (gravy) from the pan, a little Gulden's Spicy Brown mustard, a little butter, a spoonful of lemon juice, a spoonful of soy sauce, and flour. Too much flour, unfortunately as it was turning into a rue. I tried thinning this out with more lemon juice, soy sauce, and butter but ended up having to add a little water to get a decent consistency. It maybe ened up with the equivalent of three tablespoons worth of lemon juice and one to one and a half tablespoons of soy sauce.

Then when the sauce was about ready (I went to the point where it just started to boil and ended up more of a thick gravy kinda like a sausage or tomato gravy like my mom makes) I dumped the turkey onto a plate, poured the sauce onto it, and mixed it up.

The results.

Well as you can imagine it was rather tangy from the lemon juice. And I might want to back off on the amount of cayenne, maybe go with a pinch instead of a dash (I do have a measuring spoon set that was bought for me years ago that measures dash, pinch, and smidge so those measurements are uniform, set was bought because I was asking whose pinch as mine might be larger than what was intended on a recipe in another book that called for a pinch of something). But overall I think it's something I'd do again, maybe served over toast.

So what about you folks. What are you doing with those leftovers that maybe you don't regulary do? How are you re-hashing leftovers?

Posted: Sat Dec 1st, 2012 06:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Ok, I tried this recipe again yesterday, this time using leftover chicken from a couple nights before. Chicken had been done with a little rosemary, thyme, and white wine, so that was added to the flavor of this dish as it was in what broth I could get (there was more than I expected, thankfully).

I've got to say I think this could have been one of the SOS recipes of it's time. I said that the next time I tried it I'd try it over toast, which is what I did and why I say it could have been a SOS of the time. However, this is more the way I'm doing the recipe and unlikely to actually match what they would have done.

I have to admit that again I got a little too much flour than I wanted and I had less than last time. But instead of making my mistake with the lemon juice and soy sauce that I made last time I simply went to the water. Did a bit too much water, but evaporation is a friend so I just let it thicken to the same consistency as last time. I did actually double the amount of lemon juice and soy the recipe calls for on purpose, the end result was that you could taste them in the sauce but the lemon juice was not half as stronge as last time. It was a much more plesant taste this time around.

Looking over the recipe I did forget to add the mustard, which I'm not pleased with myself for that. Thought I remembered everything that went into the sauce.

Spice is still questionable for me. I did back off on the cayenne and am wondering if I used the same measure for all three last time as I did for the cayenne this time (I did a dash measure of salt and pepper and a pinch of cayenne where as all were equal measures last time) but it ended up tasting like I had the same amount of cayenne as I did last time. So I'm wondering if the smidge would actually taste like I backed off on the cayenne or if I'm doing too much spice for the amount I'm trying to make. Yes I have considered the possibility it's the black pepper that's given the slight kick though there is a difference in taste between the two.

Everything said and done I'd have to say with the way it came out this time that aside from my question on spice and remembering to add the mustard that I'd do this again with chicken or turkey. And certainly serve it over toast or with biscuits.

Current time is 08:38 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1603 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 25 queries executed.