Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Pickled Sausage recipes? - Food,Cooking and Gardening - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jul 21st, 2014 07:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Ok I figured I'd ask this question here. My mom has decided she wants to try making pickled sausage and I've been trying to help her. My first thought was to look in historical cookbooks, something that I've been striking out with. I've found some on eHow including one called How to Make Penrose Sausage. Now that one says the earliest recorded recipe dates to 1888, which would explain why I haven't had much luck with he historic recipes I've been looking at as their all too old. That is if that claim is accurate. The thing is, I've thought for years that pickling was among the way of preserving things back before refrigeration in the home became so common place. One of those if you didn't use something right away you would pickle it, cure it, brine it, devil it, dry it, or whatever to preserve it for later use.

Does anyone have any such recipes for pickled sausage?

Posted: Fri Jul 25th, 2014 12:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

This may help!!
http://pattyinglishms.hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Pickle-Meat
Let me know how it turns out!!
I am famous in my reenacting unit for the pickled eggs I make.....Two weeks ago, I pickled some turkey gizzards and hearts, which were quit tastey!!
Good luck, my friend!!

Posted: Mon Jul 28th, 2014 08:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
wondering

Mana: 

Albert Sailhorst wrote:
I am famous in my reenacting unit for the pickled eggs I make.....

Ah, pickled eggs. In the olden days we used to play road games in a smalltown famous for its sausage (unpickled), but the coup de grace was always pickled eggs off the bar.

Those with the industry to pickle in the modern era must be supported! Give your Mom a hand, Hellcat, and let us know how it goes. Good luck, more power to you. ;)

Posted: Tue Jul 29th, 2014 02:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

At this rate it may end up me giving it a try. She suddenly decided she wanted to try pickling some sausage and I have been giving her a hand in the initial phase, that of trying to find recipes. I do thank you guys for the help and will try to let you know how things come out.

Posted: Fri Aug 8th, 2014 08:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Well I have news for you Albert Sailhorst. My mom just told me today she finally tried one of the sausages and it was, quote, yummy. She went with the modern New Orleans recipe and apparently forgot to add the garlic and let it marinade for a week. From what she's said, I expect she'll most likely use the recipe again. Thanks for the help.

Posted: Fri Aug 15th, 2014 01:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

HUZZAH!!......I'd like a taste, please!! :)

Posted: Fri Aug 15th, 2014 01:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

HUZZAH!!......I'd like a taste, please!! :)

Posted: Fri Aug 15th, 2014 07:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
coastiegreenman

Mana: 

Ok, I have found the Penrose sausage jarred. Same sausage same formula, both hot and regular. In fact the sausages are of a little better quality meat but still have that same texture we love. Look for "Backroad Country" manufactured by Troyer Cheese, Inc, Millersburg OH 44645. http://www.troyercheese.com

Current time is 01:36 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3183 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.