Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art > Civil War Books > New Book: One Continuous Fight: The Retreat from Gettysburg---

New Book: One Continuous Fight: The Retreat from Gettysburg--- - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jun 10th, 2008 01:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Just received Eric J Wittenberg, J David Petruzzi and Michael F Nugent's newest book One Continuous Fight: The Retreat from Gettysburg and the Pursuit of Lee's Army of Northern Virginia, July 4-14, 1863.

I've been waiting for this a long time. Seems like it was February when I pre-ordered it at Amazon. Turns out it is a good thing I did, because the first printing run is nearly sold out.

Now I have to confess at first that I had misgivings because just last year I had read another excellent, exhaustively researched book Retreat from Gettysburg: Logistics and the Pennsylvania Campaign by Kent Masterson Brown. This book was exceptional in my mind because it made the trials and tribulations of the quartermasters and subsistence men just come to life. It seems so much more "romantic," if you will, to read about battles and campaigns. I just never dreamed how much labor occupied those who plan and implement vital  military logistical needs. Without their contributions there can be no war. Brown's book taught so much about the nightmare of logistics during Lee's retreat from Gettysburg.

Now here comes yet another equally exhaustively researched book on Lee's retreat with his Army of Northern Virginia. This one has a different emphasis however. It promises to devote much time to Meade's delayed pursuit of Lee.  Brown's book definitely discussed Meade's response to Lee, but again from a logistical viewpoint.

An interesting feature of Wittenberg, Petruzzi and Nugent's book in the back are two driving tours. One traces the route of the Wagon Train of the Wounded. The other shows you how to trace the path of Lee's main army.  Both have GPS co-ordinates or odometer settings if you prefer. An earlier book by Wittenberg and Petruzzi about J.E.B. Stuart's skylarking march around the Union right on his way to Gettysburg Plenty of Blame to Go Around: Jeb Stuart's Controversial Ride to Gettysburg also has a driving tour that traced Stuart's march. That book made me a big fan of Wittenberg and Petruzzi, so I have high hopes for their newest book in collaboration with Nugent.

Now I have to get busy and read One Continuous Fight and will come here to report if these three writers have another winner. I'm confident that they do. 

Last edited on Tue Jun 10th, 2008 01:57 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Tue Jun 10th, 2008 03:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Mine hasn't arrived yet. I am jealous Fan.  Hopefully tomorrow.

Susan

Posted: Tue Jun 10th, 2008 04:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Basecat

Mana: 

CF,

The new book focuses on the battles that occurred during the retreat from Gettysburg.  Very different from Brown's book on the Retreat.  Once you start reading it, you will know the difference.

The first edition of the book is already sold out.  As for the book, it has gotten great response already from those who have begun to read it.  I know I am biased as I am very good friends of the authors, but I know how much research they have done on these fights, and they have produced yet another quality book.  Highly doubt you will be disappointed.

Regards from the Garden State,

Steve Basic

Posted: Wed Jun 11th, 2008 02:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I have started to read it. I even stopped in the middle of another book. I don't like to do that, but for this book I couldn't wait. I do like the way it is written. My only complaint so far is that the print is so darned tiny. It is easy to figure out why the print is that small. The book would be 900 pages long if the print were more readable.

I got a kick out of the authors and others who helped with the research who call themselves "Retreatistas," people who take a very special interest in the aftermath and retreat from Gettysburg. So many people study just the Battle of Gettysburg, itself or the advance to Gettysburg and the battle, but stop at the end of July 3.

After reading Kent Masterson Brown's book I became kind of a minor Retreatista myself, because his book was so instructive. Now this new book is already shaping up to be just as compelling, so I will be a staunch Retreatista.:D

Susan, I hope your copy has arrived.

Last edited on Wed Jun 11th, 2008 02:02 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Wed Jun 11th, 2008 03:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Sigh !!! Not yet and I leave tomorrow night for my trip.  I was hoping it would be here before I left.  Have one more day. 

Susan

Posted: Wed Jun 11th, 2008 10:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Well, have a great trip anyway. I'm really eager to hear how you like St Augustine.

Posted: Wed Jun 11th, 2008 02:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Having read and enjoyed "Plenty of Blame.." I thought I would like to try this new offering from these excellent authors. Amazon UK lists "One Continuous Fight" at a price of £17.78 (approx $33) but are actually selling it, or hoping to anyway, at an astounding £127.98 (approx $238)! I think I'll wait.

Posted: Wed Jun 11th, 2008 02:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
ole

Mana: 

fedreb:

Try abebooks.com. Plenty of outlets in England and, if not, cross-pond shipping is nowhere near that bad.

ole

Posted: Wed Jun 11th, 2008 03:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Ole,
The Amazon UK ones that I quoted are actually sourced in the States, shipping comes on top of that price. I have found the book advertised at a fair price on several sites,but all out of stock. Hence the exorbitant price, supply and demand. I'm sure it will come right when they do another print run.

Posted: Thu Jun 12th, 2008 07:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Eric Wittenberg

Mana: 

Cleburne Fan,

All I can say is that I sincerely hope that you're not disappointed.

By way of some background...

I first became interested in the retreat from Gettysburg 15 years ago, when I was actively researching John Buford's role in the Gettysburg Campaign.  I discovered aspects of the campaign that I was completely unaware of, the retreat being most notable.

I eventually decided to do a book-length study of it, but those plans were shelved when I met Kent Brown. 

However, when I found out that the focus of Kent's book was logistics and that the primary emphasis was on the Army of Northern Virginia, I realized that there was, indeed, still an opportunity.

Our book is intended to complement his.  Ours has a very heavy focus on the Army of the Potomac and is very tactical.  We decided to follow Meade's decision-making process to see whether he made the right decisions along the way.  These areas complement what Kent did.

To give credit where it's due, Mike Nugent did a superb job with those driving tours.  They are brilliant, and the idea to add the GPS coordinates was even more brilliant.

That book represents 15 years of my research into some very obscure sources and a LOT of time spent on the ground.

I hope that you enjoy it and that you see a different merit to it than what you found in Kent's book.

Eric

Posted: Thu Jun 12th, 2008 09:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
izzy

Mana: 

My copy of One Continuous Fight arrived a couple of days ago.  From what fedreb says about the price of the book, I think I will put my copy under lock and key.  I just ordered Retreat from Gettysburg.  Looks like I need to read up and get a road trip planned.  Better start saving money for gas too.

Posted: Fri Jun 13th, 2008 12:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Eric Wittenberg wrote: Cleburne Fan,
That book represents 15 years of my research into some very obscure sources and a LOT of time spent on the ground.

I hope that you enjoy it and that you see a different merit to it than what you found in Kent's book.

Eric

Don't worry one bit that I will be disappointed. I have reached the point in the book at which Kilpatrick's Third Cavalry Division and Huey's brigade are bearing down on Monterey Pass. So far every page has been fascinating.

It would be terrific if I could just sit and read the book from cover to cover  without stopping. What gives the book so much life is all the first person accounts from everyone including the lowest foot soldier to the highest ranking officer and civilians.

Though I've reached only page 55, it is apparent that much more attention is given to the Army of the Potomac and Meade's intentions after July 3rd. Brown touches on that somewhat, but I was never really clear on why the Union behaved as it did. But Brown's concentration was on Lee.

When I was a kid, I lived in Chambersburg. My dad used to take us for long rides that covered much, though not all,  of the terrain in your book. For that reason alone the book has very special meaning for me as does anything about Gettysburg. I am particularly pleased that the retreat is finally getting the close scrutiny it deserves. Reading this book causes a kind of nostalgia for me.

The GPS and odometer tours are a great addition and should become an important part of books on campaigns and battles. Maybe some of the better known older Civil War books, if they are republished and revised could add such tours too. Of course, such tours require great expense, intensive investigation and much time to do well. All that sis evident in your book. (I was a bit envious. I was thinking how much fun it would have been to be a mosquito or fly buzzing along as you all did the GPS tour research while I watched from nearby.:D)

Last edited on Fri Jun 13th, 2008 11:36 pm by CleburneFan

Posted: Fri Jun 13th, 2008 02:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
J David Petruzzi

Mana: 

Thanks for all the kind words, folks!

We hope that when you get through the book, that you felt like you've been on a tough, but enjoyable and educational ride in the saddle.  The retreat has long fascinated me since the cavalry bore the brunt of most of the fighting.  While most folks were studying the Gettysburg battlefield, 25 or so years ago I was trying to trace the armies' tracks in such places as Monterey Pass, Hagerstown, Williamsport, and Falling Waters.  The story of the retreat has long fascinated me and I'm so glad that Eric, Mike and I were able to finally tell this worthy story of those long, arduous ten days.

As Eric said, along with Mike's other work on the book, he did a world-class job on the tours in the back, and tediously laying out all the GPS coordinates.  We also plan at some point to do the same for the Plenty of Blame to Go Around tours - we think the GPS is a neat addition to them, and until now no one has included this feature.  With GPS, you KNOW you're on the right spot at a particular place!

If I may also indulge the membership here with a bit of promotion help - please take a few moments, when you can, to post a review of the book on Amazon.com.  Insiders tell us that sales of a book really spark when there are 10 or more 4 and 5 star reviews.  And seeing the comments of folks who enjoy your work is wonderful beyond words.  It's like someone telling you that your child "done good."  My heart swells with humble pride everytime someone tells me they like what I've done, and I know Eric and Mike feel the same.

I look forward to hearing what folks think of it!

Best regards,

J.D.

http://www.gettysburgretreat.com

http://www.stuartsride.com

Posted: Fri Jun 13th, 2008 03:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
militarybooks

Mana: 

Hello All

We are all glad you are as excited about OCF as we are to bring it to you.

I just wanted to note that the first edition of this title is NOT sold out--though it soon will be. The orders into the book trade have been sizeable, but Amazon and all the normal chains have their copies, which should be available for several weeks.

However, we anticipate that one more wholsesale order will empty our warehouse--hence the "sold out" discussion.

If you are desireous of a 1st Ed of this title, I recommend you pick one up soon, because they will be much harder to find a month or two from now. You can get one from the authors' website, or from us at http://www.savasbeatie.com (with a signed book plate). Either way, we appreciate your support of the authors and independent publishers.

Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there. I am off to the beach for a day, and then to a Giants-A's game right on the field along 3rd base line--courtesy of my son. I hope the ladies do not hold a firesale while I am gone. LOL

Best regards,

tps
Theodore P. Savas
Managing Director
Savas Beatie LLC
http://www.savasbeatie.com

Posted: Mon Jun 16th, 2008 12:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Eric Wittenberg

Mana: 

CleburneFan wrote: Eric Wittenberg wrote: Cleburne Fan,

Eric

Don't worry one bit that I will be disappointed. I have reached the point in the book at which Kilpatrick's Third Cavalry Division and Huey's brigade are bearing down on Monterey Pass. So far every page has been fascinating.

It would be terrific if I could just sit and read the book from cover to cover  without stopping. What gives the book so much life is all the first person accounts from everyone including the lowest foot soldier to the highest ranking officer and civilians.

Though I've reached only page 55, it is apparent that much more attention is given to the Army of the Potomac and Meade's intentions after July 3rd. Brown touches on that somewhat, but I was never really clear on why the Union behaved as it did. But Brown's concentration was on Lee.

When I was a kid, I lived in Chambersburg. My dad used to take us for long rides that covered much, though not all,  of the terrain in your book. For that reason alone the book has very special meaning for me as does anything about Gettysburg. I am particularly pleased that the retreat is finally getting the close scrutiny it deserves. Reading this book causes a kind of nostalgia for me.

The GPS and odometer tours are a great addition and should become an important part of books on campaigns and battles. Maybe some of the better known older Civil War books, if they are republished and revised could add such tours too. Of course, such tours require great expense, intensive investigation and much time to do well. All that sis evident in your book. (I was a bit envious. I was thinking how much fun it would have been to be a mosquito or fly buzzing along as you all did the GPS tour research while I watched from nearby.:D)
From your post, it sounds like we accomplished what we set out to do.  You're absolutely correct that our intent was to cover the Army of the Potomac and in particular, Meade's decision-making processes, in detail.  We also believe that our treatment is much more tactical than Brown's book, and we've got much more detail on the fighting that took place along the way.

Enjoy the driving trous.

And yes, we had an absolute blast putting them together.

Eric

Posted: Wed Jun 18th, 2008 10:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Just read an excellent article by Wittenberg in the CWPT publication Hallowed Ground, Summer 2008 issue.  His article, "Mount Up!": Cavalry Operations During the Gettysburg Campaign, is a well written summary of that campaign. 

I read "Plenty of Blame" last year and was just amazed at what the Confederate Cavalry was up to.  I had no idea.  Excellent book. 

My copy of Brown's book, Retreat from Gettysburg, just arrived today.  Yeh!  Lots of summer reading.  :cool:

Posted: Thu Jun 19th, 2008 12:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Eric Wittenberg

Mana: 

Izzy,

Thanks for the kind words about the article. I sat down on a Sunday afternoon and wrote that whole thing off the top of my head. :-)

I'm also pleased to hear that you enjoyed Plenty of Blame. We wanted to point out the ordeal, and to show the hardships faced by Stuart's command. That they were able to accomplish the spectacular work that they did during the retreat is a real testament to their intestinal fortitude.

Eric

Posted: Mon Jul 7th, 2008 06:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
IDIC

Mana: 

Hi Guys

I'm a new member from the UK and have just returned from Holiday to find my copy waiting for me (thank you Amazon.com). After reading about the problems some of you have had getting the book at it's published price it might be of use to do what I do.

My main interest is in the cavalry operations of the Civil War so I have a standing order with Amazon for every new book by Eric and/or David.

I'm looking forward to reading it but cant start it just yet as I'm reading Eric's book about the Battle of Monroes Cross Roads first!

Kind Regards

Colin

Last edited on Mon Jul 7th, 2008 06:39 pm by IDIC

Posted: Mon Jul 7th, 2008 06:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
J David Petruzzi

Mana: 

Hi Colin!

Thanks so much - and we hope you enjoy it when you get to it.

Keep your eyes peeled - Eric and I just started the first volume of our three-volume study of all the cavalry in the Gettysburg Campaign.  Several chapters have already been laid out in rough form.  This first volume may be published/available by spring of 2009.

Best regards,

J.D. Petruzzi

Posted: Mon Jul 7th, 2008 09:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Wow!!!  You sure don't let grass grow under your feet.  Looking forward to more great reading from you guys!

Current time is 08:33 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art > Civil War Books > New Book: One Continuous Fight: The Retreat from Gettysburg---

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2144 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 28 queries executed.