Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

A good biography of Stonewall Jackson? - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jul 8th, 2008 06:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
IDIC

Mana: 

Hi,

I would be very grateful if some of you could please recommend a good biography of Stonewall Jackson. I’m looking for one that is not only factual but is also a good read. Some of the ones I’m looking at are very big books and I don’t want to have to slog through hundreds of pages of very dry prose.

Thanks for your help.

Colin

Posted: Tue Jul 8th, 2008 08:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
fedreb

Mana: 

"Stonewall Jackson. The Man The Soldier,The Legend" by James I Robertson is the definitive Jackson. It is over 760 pages but well worth the effort.
"Stonewall Jackson as Military Commander" by John Selby, a good deal shorter(238 pages), and containing some good photos and maps as well as double size, fold out battle maps. Excellent book.

Posted: Tue Jul 8th, 2008 12:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Tom Wiehle

Mana: 

I will have to agree that Robertson's book on Stonewall is about as good as it gets.
Maybe a longer read, but well worth it!

Posted: Tue Jul 8th, 2008 03:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
David White

Mana: 

Robertson's book is definitely the definitive book but I think he fell too much in love with his subject. For a more objective look at Jackson I would recommend Frank Vandiver's Mighty Stonewall

Posted: Wed Jul 9th, 2008 04:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
IDIC

Mana: 

Thanks for your help guys, I've ordered the Robertson book from Amazon but I'll also look out for "Mighty Stonewall" as well.

Many Thanks :)

Colin

Posted: Sun Jul 13th, 2008 08:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
BloodyBob64

Mana: 

Another good book on Jackson is They Called Him Stonewall by Burke Davis. It is in narrative form and very interesting. Very easy read as well. Its like reading Shelby Foote but entirely on Jackson.

Posted: Sun Jul 13th, 2008 09:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
ole

Mana: 

Problem with Stonewall books is that most tend to be bit worshipful. I don't envy your task in finding an objective study that's an easy read. There is one out there, I just don't know which one it is.

ole

Posted: Tue Jul 22nd, 2008 12:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

"Stonewall" by Byron Farwell is a pretty decent read and not too overly worshipful imo.

Posted: Sat Jul 26th, 2008 07:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
IDIC

Mana: 

Thanks for all the help and advice.

I’m about 100 pages into the James Robertson book and, so far, I’ve got very few complaints. It is starting to get perhaps a wee bit worshipful but some of the myths and legends surrounding Jackson have already been blown wide open! For such a weighty tome that goes into so much detail I am pleased that the style of writing is so easily accessible.

Not having researched Jackson too deeply before I was surprised to learn that his religious beliefs did not come from his upbringing and that he was, in fact, an orphan. Hey, hang on, am I starting to admire the man just a wee bit?

One of the great things about this part of American history are the characters that shaped your nation and Jackson is certainly one of those!

Current time is 12:27 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2939 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 25 queries executed.