Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

The "To Read" list - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jul 22nd, 2008 01:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

this is a list of the books in my ACW collection that I've yet to read:
  1. The Confederacy's last Hurrah(Franklin/Nashville campaign) - Wiley Sword
  2. The Fredericksburg Campaign - Francis Augustin O'Reilly
  3. Chancellorsville - Steven W. Sears
  4. The Battles of Spottsylvania Courthouse and the Road to Yellow Tavern - Rhea
  5. The last Citadel (Petersburg)- Noah Andre Trudeau
  6. Bloody Valverde - John Taylor
  7. The Blue, The Gray, & The Red(Native americans in the ACW) - Thom Hatch
  8. Plenty of Blame to Go Around(Jeb Stuart/Gettysburg) - Eric J. Wittenberg and
      J. David Petruzzi
  9. Gettysburg Requiem(Col. William C. Oates) - Glenn W. LaFantasie
10. Vicksburg 47 Days of Siege - A.A. Hoehling
11. Watie's Wolves(Indian territory ACW Fiction) - Venon Schmid

so what's on your shelf just gathering dust waiting to be read?

Posted: Tue Jul 22nd, 2008 10:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
izzy

Mana: 

Are you trying to make us feel guilty?;)  Every time I walk past my bookcase, I dare not look.  Nothing else would ever get done if I started reading the books waiting on those shelves.  Here is my list of the ones I would like to get to (and these are less that half of what is waiting on the shelves):

1)  The Road to Disunion; Volumns One and Two by Freeling    2)  What This Cruel War Was Over by Manning    3)  Fort Donelson's Legacy by Cooling  4)  Autumn of Glory by Connelly  5)  Army of the Heartland by Connelly  6)  Nothing but Victory by Woodworth  7)  Days of Glory by Daniel  8)  From Winchester to Cedar Creek by Wert  9)  Shenandoah Summer by Patchan

What is actually going to get read?  Any book that contains a tour of the area that I want to see, such as:  1)  Retreat From Gettysburg by Brown  2)  One Continuous Fight by Wittenberg, Petruzzi, Nugent  3)  Any book I have on East TN. 

I am not listing books of more specialized areas of CW interest, such as my collection that I have to read on East Tennessee.  It is that area of interest that I am currently focused on to the detriment of the subjects above.

And, NO, I am not interested in The Book Swap.  That big red SWAP sign is starting to get annoying.  I don't have any books that I am willing to swap at this time.  I have to at least read them first!:P

Posted: Tue Jul 22nd, 2008 10:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
lifl2003

Mana: 

Lined up next for me is Winfield Scott Hancock's "A Soldiers Life" by David M. Jordan.  I picked it up a couple of months ago on EBAY for a steal. 

I try to keep my "book waiting list" short so I do not get too tempted to jump ship and start another.

I'm with Izzy. My determining factor as to which book to start is if I am visiting an area soon.

The family and I are heading up to Lake George, NY this weekend.  We will be staying right near some Revolutionary War sites and I will be itching to check them out.  The problem will be getting the wife to go there.

Mike

Posted: Tue Jul 22nd, 2008 09:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

That's why my list is so long LOL! most of these books are waiting for me to get through my Vicksburg trip/phase. Many of my books have been purchased at Battlefield bookstores across the country. I always find something I can't do without when I go in those places:D.

Posted: Tue Jul 22nd, 2008 10:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Oh yeah that Jeb Stuart book(Plenty of Blame to Go Around) looks pretty darn good! It covers every cavalry action that took place before Gen. Stuart finally found the ANV on July 2nd. Includes Stuart's written report and directions for a tour that retraces all of his movements until that day as well.Lots of good maps and photos as well. This will be one of my favorites I suspect.

Posted: Tue Jul 22nd, 2008 10:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Captain Crow,  Plenty of Blame is excellent.  You will love it.  You are going to want to hit the road and retrace Stuart's ride as soon as you start reading the book. 

I'm waiting to read Retreat and One Continuous Fight until a couple of months before I can take those  tours.  I want the info fresh in my mind when I start the trip.

Posted: Tue Jul 22nd, 2008 11:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

that's a good idea izzy...if I read my material too soon I don't remember diddly-squat when the time comes. That happened to me last year at Gettysburg. I thought I was well read on the battle until I got there and realized I hadn't read anything in about 2 years.....Hopefully I'll get to go back in a couple of years and be a little better prepared.

Posted: Wed Jul 23rd, 2008 06:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

I've started, but yet to finish, the following:

1. 'Eye of the Storm' - Robert Knox Sneden
Pvt Sneden was a cartographer, diarist, and artist. A beautifully-produced book.

2. 'Bloody Crucible of Courage' - Brent Noseworthy
I wanted to learn about tactics. This book helps, but probably better to dip into it rather than read from cover to cover.

3. 'Campaigns of the Civil War' by Walter Geer
A general military history of major battles and campaigns - interesting if outdated. I bought the Noseworthy book to better understand his arguments.

4. 'The Killer Angels' by Michael Shaara
Picked it up cheaply, but find it too annoying to read for any length of time. The film is much better.

5. 'Cold Mountain' by Charles Frazier
Much the same here.

And that's just the Civil War pile.

Posted: Wed Jul 23rd, 2008 10:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Kernow-Ox,  Don't you just hate it when you get side tracked and can't finish a book?  If I can't get back to it right away then I have to start on page one again or it goes back on the bookshelf to read sometime in the distant future.

I tried reading Cold Mountain but didn't like it enough to read more that a couple chapters.  Too bad because I live only 5 miles from the mountain.  I have Killer Angels but have not read it.

Another book I just bought and that I want to read is A Voyage Long and Strange by Horwitz.  Hernando De Soto went through Western North Carolina, so I got curious about the early explorers.

Captain Crow,  I have The Confederacy's Last Hurrah by Sword, too.  I haven't read it either.  It will continue to gather dust for a while.  Someday..someday.

Posted: Wed Jul 23rd, 2008 10:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
lifl2003

Mana: 

Izzy,

Please read the "Killer Angels".  I know that alot of people will knock it b/c it "historical fiction" but it is a great book. 

It is an easy read and you will fily through it.  If you saw Gettysburg you pretty much have read it already as the movie was almost word for word from the book.

I am trying to get my 11 year old son to read it now hoping it will ignite the CW fire in him.

Another book that I loved adn could read over and over again was "Covered with Glory: The 26th North Carolina Infantry at the Battle of Gettysburg" by Rod Gragg. Now that was an awsome book!!

Mike

Posted: Wed Jul 23rd, 2008 02:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
izzy

Mana: 

lifl2003,  I'll read Killer Angels someday.  I did not see the movie.  Covered With Glory sounds interesting.  I should read it considering that I now live in North Carolina.  

If I start reading about Gettysburg, I may as well rent an apartment there for a couple of months and tour my brains out.  That is probably what I will end up doing in a couple of years.  I lived in Warrenton VA for a year but had no interest in the ACW at the time.  I could just kill myself now for all the missed opportunities! ))..

Posted: Wed Jul 23rd, 2008 03:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Bighouse

Mana: 

I told myself that I wasn't going to buy any new books this year until I had read or re-read some of those I already have. The list is to long to mention, but it begins with Shelby Foote's Civil War, which it took me awhile to get through the first time. My will power just isn't that strong though because I just keep buying more and the pile grows larger.

I've advance ordered a copy of A Just and Righteous Cause, Benjamin Grierson's Civil War Memoirs, due to be published in November. I participate in an annual re-enactment in his home town of Jacksonville, IL. so I'm kind of looking forward to it.

Posted: Wed Jul 23rd, 2008 03:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Bighouse

Mana: 

I told myself that I wasn't going to buy any new books this year until I had read or re-read some of those I already have. The list is to long to mention, but it begins with Shelby Foote's Civil War, which it took me awhile to get through the first time. My will power just isn't that strong though because I just keep buying more and the pile grows larger.

I've advance ordered a copy of A Just and Righteous Cause, Benjamin Grierson's Civil War Memoirs, due to be published in November. I participate in an annual re-enactment in his home town of Jacksonville, IL. so I'm kind of looking forward to it.

Posted: Wed Jul 23rd, 2008 04:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
lifl2003

Mana: 

Hey Bighouse,

Welcoem aboard!! Shelby Foote's book is enough to tackle!! He is missed.  He ceratinly made Ken Burn's film!! Great historian and author. RIP.

Mike

Posted: Wed Jul 23rd, 2008 06:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Welcome to the board Bighouse!  Sounds like you, me, and Captain Crow can not walk past a bookstore without checking it out.  Lifl2003 sounds like the only one with any discipline.

I tend to dip here and there into Foote's Civil War Trilogy.  I tried to read it all in one sitting but got side tracked so it went back on the shelf.  I get it down when I need to get info from it. 

Posted: Wed Jul 23rd, 2008 06:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

lifl2003 wrote: Hey Bighouse,

Welcoem aboard!! Shelby Foote's book is enough to tackle!! He is missed.  He ceratinly made Ken Burn's film!! Great historian and author. RIP.

Mike
Amen to that! Shelby's anecdotes were some of my favorite parts of KB's TCW.
And might I echo the sentiments that Killer Angels is definitely a must read.

Posted: Wed Jul 23rd, 2008 08:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

1/ One Continuous Fight--After reading Plenty of Blame this one has to be next.

2/ Retreat from G/burg--Brown

3/ Last in their Class. Custer,Pickett and the Goats of West Point--James Robbins.

4/ Annals of the War. Original articles first published in 1879 in the Philadelphia Weekly Times. Looks to be along the lines of Battles and Leaders, picked it up for next to nothing at a car-boot sale.

5/The Confederate Raider Alabama-- by her Commander Raphael Semmes. Tried this one once a few years ago, very heavy reading but the Alabama is a great story so I'll give it another go.

Then there are all the books about The Crimean War, The Boer War, The Great War (WW1)and the Korean War.
I just know I can never catch up with them all but I seem to have fallen into a pattern of read 1 buy 3.

Have read all the Shaara books, Michael and Jeff, enjoyed them, good light reading, alright for a plane journey or sat in the garden with a beer but far too many glaring historical ommisions to take seriously.

Shelby Foote. I blame that man for my current plight, he got me in to this ACW thing and has cost me lots of money in trips to the States and all these books. His trilogy will always be my favourites, superb books which I would reread again and again,if only I could catch up...

Posted: Wed Jul 23rd, 2008 08:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Last in Class is one of my favorite books read this past year.  You will really enjoy it .  I could not put it down.  Only problem was I now am looking for books on the Seminole Wars.  Found two while I was in Florida that are now on the pile to be read.

Susan

Posted: Wed Jul 23rd, 2008 09:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
TimK

Mana: 

Susan - it was your raves that got me started reading American Brutus, which my college student son bought me a couple years ago as a gift. I now look forward to doctor, dentist, and other appointments, as these are about the only times I have to get some decent reading time in. I'm taking my middle son to the DMV to get his learners permit - good for at least two hours of reading time!

Posted: Thu Jul 24th, 2008 12:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

I sometimes think my Civil War "habit" keeps Barnes and Noble and Borders in business! I can totally relate to izzy, Capt. Crow and Bighouse about not being able to be within eyesight of a bookstore and not go see what's new in the CW section!

I just finished Stephen Sears' Gettysburg since I'm heading there next week. Some of the others on my "to read list" are Reading the Man: A Portrait of Robert E. Lee Through His Private Letters by Elizabeth Pryor, The Colors of Courage by Margaret Creighton, Chancellorsville by Stephen Sears and Historic Photos of Gettysburg by John S. Salmon, which isn't a read except if you count the captions but I love looking at old photos of battlefields I've been to, like Frassinito's "Then/Now" works. I also just got History of the 153rd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, which is pretty specific unless you're interested in the 153rd PVI.

American Brutus sounds familiar--what's it about, anyone who's read it?

Pam

Current time is 02:21 pmPage:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4849 seconds (17% database + 83% PHP). 26 queries executed.