Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Gettysburg Companion - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Oct 12th, 2008 10:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
gettysburgerrn

Mana: 

While not a review, I was wondering what anyone thought of this title.  I recieved it yesterday from amazon and thumbed thru it and it looked pretty good. Many maps and a nice collection of material collected together...

Ken

Posted: Sun Oct 12th, 2008 04:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
IDIC

Mana: 

Got mine yesterday from Amazon UK. It looks fantastic especially the first sections covering the 2 armies, orders of battle, command and control, Cavalry, Artillery etc etc.

The illustrations and paintings of the various uniforms are superb. This is a huge coffee table book that you wont read in one sitting, this is one you will dip into every now and then.

Modern photographs are used to explain positions on the battlefield and there are many new maps.

As to the accuracy of the text, well I leave that to someone more knowledgeable than I but Mark Adkin has an excellent reputation for this kind of book. His Waterloo Companion is regarded as one of the best books on that battle and his Trafalgar Companion was, in my opinion, one of the better books that came out during the 200 year celebration of the Battle of Trafalgar and the death of Nelson.

Posted: Sun Oct 12th, 2008 07:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
ole

Mana: 

And with that recommendation, UDIC, I will have to set about finding a copy.

ole

Posted: Mon Oct 13th, 2008 09:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
HankC

Mana: 

the book seems to have issues with plagiarism with which they hope the pond protects them...

HankC

Posted: Tue Oct 14th, 2008 09:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
gettysburgerrn

Mana: 

Really?  that stinks.  The only weird thing I noticed was that in the Bbliography  - the Gettysburg Magazine is cited (with the issue numbers) as opposed to the specific articles therein.  That said, after looking at it more in depth, it really looks pretty comprehensive with a wealth of material on all aspects of the battle...

ken

Posted: Wed Oct 15th, 2008 04:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
IDIC

Mana: 

Hi Hank

I’m interested in your comment about plagiarism. Is this some thing that someone’s suggested or are there legal moves about it? I hope it proves to be a rumour as the Author is well respected in military history circles here in the UK.

:shock:

If there is a problem I don’t think the pond will protect the guilty party!

What ever the outcome it’s still a very handsome book.

Posted: Wed Oct 15th, 2008 05:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
gettysburgerrn

Mana: 

I do know there have been statements made in the Gettysburg discussion group (gdg.org - a great site ) that some author(s) have contacted the publisher regarding assertions of plagarism and the possibility of legal action (and I believe at least one author said he retained counsel)...stay tuned..

ken

P.S. it is my understanding is the assertions of plagarism are in reference to some map or maps...

Last edited on Wed Oct 15th, 2008 05:03 pm by gettysburgerrn

Posted: Thu Oct 16th, 2008 03:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
David White

Mana: 

Is this the same people that put out the Waterloo Companion a few years ago? If so it is a great book, hope they did not steal other's work. If they did, the pond won't protect them.

Posted: Fri Oct 17th, 2008 03:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
HankC

Mana: 

another recent Gettysburg coffee-table book ran into similar problems with Frassanito photo work.

The photos themselves are in the public domain, but Frass had enlarged some for more detail and the author scanned the enlargements thus stealing the intellectual property. You could even detect the text showing through the next page!

pretty sneaky...

HankC

Posted: Sat Oct 18th, 2008 09:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
gettysburgerrn

Mana: 

Yes this is the same author of the Waterloo and the Trafalgar Companion books...

ken

Current time is 09:33 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1710 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 24 queries executed.