Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

The Maps of Gettysburg by Bradley Gottfried - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Oct 18th, 2008 02:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

I finally got done reading Gottfried's book,The Maps of Gettysburg. It took me a long time because it is the type of book that requires of me a great deal of concentration. I had some trouble making the adjustment going from one scenario to another. There was not much mention of time or time tables. It kept me thinking sometimes rather than concentrating on what was being written. I had to "shift gears" many times and refer back to other sources in order to keep some semblance of continuity in my own mind. And of course, there's the "house full of non-Civil War interested women" (three of them teen-agers) in my house that can make it very hard to concentrate on my "scholarship."
That said, I really did like the book! It got into the nitty-gritty of the battle and was a great deal of fun reading while thinking of the battlefield and trying to picture the fighting going on in that sector. I only wish I had the time to take it to the battlefield and go over every part of it with the book and really try to envision the action. It was worth the money!

Posted: Sat Oct 18th, 2008 09:57 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
gettysburgerrn

Mana: 

I feel your pain about being in a house of non civil war interested women...yes I do. That being said I forget the exact link, but if you go to Savas Beattie's website and follow the links, there are some revised/ corrected maps (including 26.2 and 17.3) There may be more I haven't checked the site in a while...

KEn

Posted: Sat Oct 18th, 2008 02:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
militarybooks

Mana: 

Hello all

I am the managing director of Savas Beatie, and happened to spot the review. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write it.

We have a few updated maps on the site and the recent edition has some minor typo and factual errors corrected as well. We also have copies in now in paperback (25.00) that are great for marking up, carrying to the field, etc. Many people buy the hardcover for home, and the paperback for other uses.

We have several other Savas Beatie atlas titles underway, including one by the same author, Brad Gottfried, on First Bull Run (Manassas) set for release in the spring of 2009. All future atlas volumes will be in full color. Another volume underway set for a Fall of 2009 release is the Chickamauga Campaign.

Our website is http://www.savasbeatie.com, where you can follow information on these and sign up for our free e-letter that will have advance info and special deals.

Thanks again.

Theodore P. Savas

Posted: Sat Oct 18th, 2008 03:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Hi Ted looking forward to seeing you in Clovis at the Round Table Conference . 

Susan

Posted: Sun Oct 19th, 2008 04:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

Thanks for the info guys! I'll check out the site. I have an autographed paperback copy of the book. I also highlighted quite a bit of it and added some of my own notes in the margins. Most of the time they wee just more questions or my own opinion of an officer or their actions.
Thanks again!

Posted: Sun Oct 19th, 2008 04:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
militarybooks

Mana: 

Hi Susan,

Thanks! I will be there, of course. Anything you need, just let me know. See you soon.

tps

Current time is 10:58 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3231 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 25 queries executed.