Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

The First CWi Editorial - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Feb 4th, 2006 02:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Recently we found an old computer lying in the deep recesses of one of our closets, having long since crashed. I decided to try to hook the hard drive up to a working computer and see what was there. It was a gold mine. We have recovered dozens of articles that appeared on CWi over the last 10 years, many of which we thought were lost forever. We're in the process of bringing those articles back.

We also used to write a lot more editorials than we do now. On the hard drive, I also found the first editorial ever to appear in the pages of CWi, in January 1996. Some may remember it, some may not, but it holds a special place  in my heart. BTW, don't think you can date me by the fact that I was in college... I has already served in the Navy and been married once when I entered college :shock:. Here it is...

The Long Walk
by Joe Avalon

It was a crazy idea from the start, I suppose.

Having just found out that my descendents had fought in the glorious war, I was looking for a way to understand their plight better. Being a college student in western Tennessee, a Yankee student no less, I was located a short distance from the battlefield of Shiloh. While my locale made it impossible to literally walk in my ancestors steps, as they were veterans of Chancellorsville and Gettysburg, it allowed me to do the next best thing.

I thought.

I should know better than to think. The times in the past when I decided to think are the times I now look back on with a rather dazed and lost look on my face and wonder why. But what could be so innocent, so damn near noble, than to want to live the life of the Civil War soldier, if just for a moment or two?

What could be so damn stupid should have been the question.

So that was why, in a small Tennessee town in 1982, a determined northern adult college student decided to make a march. A long march. Twenty-two miles to be exact. From Corinth, Mississippi to Pittsburg Landing, Tn. I would use only the routes that the valiant southern soldiers used, through woods and thickets, making paths where need be. Eat only what they ate, to the extreme of making my own hardtack. Wear what they wore, or at least as close to the material and weight as I could get.

What a way to bond me at a level never before reached with the souls of those that had taken the path before.

No, not really. Actually a real good way to die in ways that I never thought about before.

Since I was determined to be as realistic as possible, meaning avoiding paved roads, I spent two weeks contacting farmers along the route. Permission to tromp through their woods and fields was one step necessary in preventing this from being a little too realistic. I preferred to keep the gunfire in my imagination.

Did I mention that my ancestors fought for the Union army? Imagine if you will the scene: a northerner in the deep south asking a southern farmer to help honor his northern ancestors by permitting him to trespass on his land while re-enacting the southern armies route on their way to attack the northern army. Although it made perfect sense to me, many of them looked at me the same way that guy in Deliverance did right before he made Ned Beatty squeal like a pig.

The march occurred on a hot summer day in June. A pathetic figure was enveloped by the woods outside of Corinth, swallowed instantly by a land that still stands untouched by the passage of time. It was a matter of mere minutes before I realized that I was in deep shit. It soon became evident that nature doesn't heed the words "time out". Sense of purpose sent me further into the now darkening woods and a sense of panic began to set in. Having seen several snakes, some of them moccasins, and being set upon by untold ticks and chiggers, the truth set in.

This was real. I hadn't cheated - and right now that wasn't good news. No cell phone or compass. No one to help. Nothing but dark ominous woods filled with things that could kill me. And a warped sense of pride (or foolishness) that prevented me from turning back. It was at that moment that I came to posses an almost worshipful view of the Civil War soldier.

In April of 1862, tens of thousands of young southern men had made this same trek. And though they were surrounded by thousands of comrades, everyone of them, on that night, was as lonely and scared as I was on this night 120 years later. Still I tromped, closer to what I thought must be Shiloh. Blind to the left and right, feet soaked in swamp, carrying a 50 pd. backpack for realism, the original noble reason for this trek had long been forgotten. Like those in the last century, I carried on only because there was no other choice.

Eventually I did make it to Shiloh (I knew I was close when I passed Buford Pusser's boyhood home). As I sat along Bloody Pond with torn clothes, exhausted, with nasty bites covering me, I began to cry. Not for me, although I may have felt bad enough to.

I cried for them.

They had made this journey too. They were probably in worse condition when they arrived. But once here, they could not sit on the banks of the pond and reflect what they had been through. Their journey through hell had just begun. In the next two days they would witness scenes not imagined by Dante. And if they made it through alive ,as some did, they would be told they were defeated and had to make that nightmare walk again.

The point of recounting this is simple. When you read of this or that happening during the Civil War, whether it be a battle or skirmish, never think you understand. You don't. We never will, and they can never tell us. To learn the war, learn the men. Let the scholars study the battles and tactics and strategy.

For your part, remember the soldier. We owe it to them.

Last edited on Sat Feb 4th, 2006 05:41 pm by javal1

Posted: Sun Feb 5th, 2006 02:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Basecat

Mana: 

Joe,

Great Editorial, and for some reason I do remember it.  Hard to belive that was written 10 years ago.  Look forward to seeing some of the "lost" stuff you found in the coming months.

Hope all is well.

Regards from the Garden State,

Steve

Posted: Mon Feb 6th, 2006 01:56 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
rebalgray

Mana: 

That was a great editorial. It really makes you think. Of course we can only guess what it was like. It would take some guts to do what you did. I'm afraid I would have cheated a little. I would have at lease took a compass. I was just down there last spring. It took quite a while to make the drive from Shiloh to Corinth. How long did it take you to walk it? I think the people were a lot hardier back then. The little things didn't bother them like it does now. Staying out in a rain storm with out cover is just one.

Martin (8thvacav)

Posted: Mon Feb 6th, 2006 11:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Rebal - Actually it didn't take a lot of guts. Just a lot of Jack Daniels :cool: It took three days, and worse two nights. But unlike our predecessors, I was able to judge somewhat where I was by the sound of the occasional car along Route 22 off in the distance. I must admit that that also kept me on course. It was a dumb idea, and not authentic at all in retrospect, but it really did make me think of the Civil War soldier in a whole new way.

Last edited on Mon Feb 6th, 2006 11:51 pm by javal1

Posted: Tue Feb 7th, 2006 02:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
HankC

Mana: 

Imagine your ancestors opening an old trunk in 100 years and wondering what is on these disks, tapes and cds...

HankC

Posted: Tue Feb 7th, 2006 03:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
David White

Mana: 

I think that part of Tennessee is to ticks what Tokyo is to people.  On my last trip just the short walk from our auto to Fraley Field, found my boys and me covered with the bloodsuckers.  We stood there in the road swatting each other as half a hundred or so of them crawled away across the asphalt.  Later that night at the hotel we had to use burnt match heads to remove one from me and another from my youngest boy.  I hates ticks!!!

Posted: Fri Feb 17th, 2006 03:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Hamy3

Mana: 

I don't agree with your assesment that the trek was dumb. I think it's a wonderful way to honor the soldier of days past. Next time you want to do something like this, let me know. I'll go with you!!!

Semper Fi

Doug

Posted: Fri Feb 17th, 2006 04:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

The trek reminds me of the Chapter Civil Wargasm in Confederates in the Attic!!!   That was my favorite chapter in the book too. 

Posted: Thu Feb 23rd, 2006 09:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
LTBunten

Mana: 

susan, I thought the same thing when I was reading the editorial. I just finished Confederates in the Attic and that was my favorite chaper as well!!

Posted: Sat Feb 25th, 2006 05:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

LT I really enjoyed that book .  A friend recommended it to me.  The Civil Wargasm had me laughing so hard.  It also reminded me of myself traveling across the USA two years ago.  I had two months to see as much as I could.  I drove by myself from Huntington Beach California to Hungtington Beach South Carolina.  Then went North .  I would hit as many places in one day as I could.  I still can't believe I did Northern Virginia all in one day  Wilderness, Chancellorsville and Spotsylvania , Fredrickburg, Quinea Station , Basically it turned into an overview.  I did Manassas Harper's Ferry, Antietam and drove on to Gettysburg the next day.  INow here I am in Southern California wanting to go back and spend much more time at each battlefield. 

Current time is 08:16 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1716 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 24 queries executed.