Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Enjoy - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jan 15th, 2009 10:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
105th Pa Vol

Mana: 

Just picked up a book at the local library , and enjoyed it greatly the subject is the Battle of the Crater , one of the greatest Union fiascos of the war. The ill concieved plan to explode a mine under the Confederate line that might have shortened the war if properly exploited, but the Union commanders, from Generals Meade and Burnside down to division level performed horribly , Alan Axelrods gripping new narrative of the battle spares no one from well deserved criticism for the failure. which General Grant described as " the saddest affair I have witnessed in the war".

Posted: Tue Jan 20th, 2009 08:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Historicaly Correct

Mana: 

:DI recieved the book for Christmas last year. A very good read. would recommend to anyone who wants to better understand the war at Petersburg. I thought the miners were very ingenious in their tunneling and ventalation methods.
HC

Posted: Wed Jan 21st, 2009 11:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

I need to pick that one up..well I don't really NEED to but it does sound good. That area(the crater)is one of my favorite places at Petersburg battlefield.

Current time is 10:25 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3032 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 25 queries executed.