Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art > Civil War Books > Chickamauga and Chattanooga: The Battles That Doomed the Confederacy

Chickamauga and Chattanooga: The Battles That Doomed the Confederacy - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jun 10th, 2009 03:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
CoryB
Buford Trooper

Mana: 

Has anyone ever read Chickamauga and Chattanooga: Two Battles that Doomed the Confederacy by John Bowers? He is a professor in my Creative Writing program and I picked it up. I haven't had a chance to read it yet as I'm reading Coddington's book on Gettysburg so it will be a wihle. I'm looking for the next book I should put on my: On Deck list.

Bowers also wrote: Stonewall Jackson: Portrait of a Soldier

I'm familiar with Bowers' Creative work and he's an amazing writer, but I haven't had the chance to delve into his historical work yet. Anyone have any experience with these two books?

Posted: Thu Jun 11th, 2009 07:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

I have not read it but what exactly are you looking for in a book on Chickamauga and Chattanooga? A general overview? More tactical details? In between the two?

Posted: Thu Jun 11th, 2009 10:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

I found it strangely anti-southern in some really unnecessary ways...mostly the tone of the writing and some odd statements at the end. Not really strict history so much as an emotionally narrated story. I would sell it on ebay and get Cozzens' trilogy..although it is a really tough read, I would definitely consider it far superior to Bowers effort. Although Bowers descriptions of Bragg and his physical ailments were somewhat amusing...there's really not much I can recommend about his book.

Posted: Thu Nov 5th, 2009 12:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
OpdykeTiger

Mana: 

You're reading Coddington? :shock:  Good luck staying awake!!

Posted: Wed Nov 18th, 2009 11:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Cozzens....:?

Current time is 09:33 pm
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art > Civil War Books > Chickamauga and Chattanooga: The Battles That Doomed the Confederacy

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2933 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 24 queries executed.