Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Hood's Texas Brigade - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Aug 6th, 2011 06:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
BHR62

Mana: 

Anybody know of a good book on Hood's Texas Brigade?  I'm sure there are lots out there but any of them better than the other?  I just found 3 ancestors from Texas that served in the 4th Texas Infantry Co. D. 

Sidenote:  I better start researching the Yank side more....the Rebs now equal the Yank ancestors.

Posted: Sat Aug 6th, 2011 09:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
pender

Mana: 

BHR62, Probably the very best book on the subject IMO is Harold B. Simpson's Hood's Texas Brigade. It covers in depth the Texas Regiment's. But I will warn you, it is very expensive. My copy was given to me years ago.

Pender

Posted: Sat Aug 6th, 2011 09:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
pender

Mana: 

BHR62, Here is some thing else that may be helpful. http://history-sites.com/~kjones/txbiblio.html

Pender

Posted: Sun Aug 7th, 2011 01:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Doc Ce

Mana: 

One of my ancestors was Major William Sellers (on Hood's Staff) whom Hood selected for his final plea to Longstreet to not attack the Round Tops. I'm currently researching why he and his family are buried at the Stonewall Jackson Cemetery in Lexington, VA. Any help would be appreciated. There's also Polley's Texas Brigade.

Doc C

Posted: Mon Aug 8th, 2011 12:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
BHR62

Mana: 

THanks Pender...I will see if I can find that book and hopefully not have to pay an arm and a leg for it.

One of the 3 ancestors in the 4th Texas was killed at Gaines Mill...the other two were wounded. So now I'm trying to find out about the other two.

Posted: Mon Aug 8th, 2011 11:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Mark

Mana: 

The book, "Rebel Private Front and Rear" by William Fletcher (Co F, 5th TX) is probably the most accessible first hand account by a Texas Brigade member. PVT Fletcher served with the brigade from its inception to shortly after Chickamauga where he was wounded. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the TX brigade as the two reenacting Companies I was part of many years ago were Co D, 1st Colorado and Co M, 1st TX. Hope that helps!

Mark

Current time is 07:54 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3204 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 25 queries executed.