Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Fighting for the Confederacy - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Sep 11th, 2006 07:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
ckleisch

Mana: 

I recommend this text as a excellent source for a little known perspective of the war, the strategy of artilley and engineering. The book is 664 pages edited by Gary W Gallagher. Printed by the UNC Press same has ISBN-0-8078-1848 .Porter Alexander kept a diary and made pen notes throughout every battle he served. this also reflects conversations with the well known players in the saga both personal and political. It also sheds light on the strategy of defense behind earthen works and the ideas of the time for placing artillery. I believe this is a must read for the ACW historian who wants the behind the scenes perspective

Attachment: save0001.jpg (Downloaded 41 times)

Posted: Tue Sep 12th, 2006 04:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
David White

Mana: 

Agree, it is also probably more honest than most memoirs because he did not write it with the intent that it be published.  The memoir he published is good but not nearly as insightful and informative as this book.

Posted: Tue Nov 7th, 2006 02:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Widow

Mana: 

I read it several months ago and was really impressed by Alexander.  He wrote most of this memoir while on assignment after the war in Nicaragua, I believe.  He wrote it for his children, so the style is more informal than his official reports.

Because he was an artillerist, you can learn a lot about the long arm and just how complicated it was.  Partly due to this book, I've become fascinated by artillery.

I like this man.  He was smart, brave, and very good at whatever job he was given.

Widow

Current time is 11:35 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2861 seconds (24% database + 76% PHP). 25 queries executed.