Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

"Manhunt" - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Sep 29th, 2006 11:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
A.J.

Mana: 

I posted this question in the area reserved for books, but thought I would ask it here too. In James Swanson's book "Manhunt," he has Edwin Stanton making the statement upon Lincoln's passing that "Now he belongs to the angels." I have always understood the statement to be "Now he belongs to the ages." Does anyone have any information concerning this discrepency?

Last edited on Sat Sep 30th, 2006 01:25 am by A.J.

Posted: Sat Sep 30th, 2006 03:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Cap

Mana: 

AJ -

I also enjoyed the book "Manhunt" and the quote you mentioned really jumped out at me as well. I do not have the book in front of me right now as I loaned it to a friend, but I do remember reading the foot note in the back of the book on that particular quote. Reading foot notes is something I rarely do but this really had my curiousity as I had always heard/read the quote with "ages."

The author (the best I recall without having the book at my disposal) felt that the quote as he gave it was more likely what Stanton would have said given his background, beliefs and the time in question. I think he also conferred with someone else on this quote and that is mentioned in the foot note as well. I accepted his explanation and thoroughly enjoyed the book.

Cap

Posted: Sat Sep 30th, 2006 02:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
A.J.

Mana: 

Thank you, Cap. I guess that will teach me to read the footnotes when I am confused by something I read. I have no problem with a writer expressing his own beliefs, but the way it is written in "Manhunt," Swanson pretty much presents the "angels" quote as historical fact. Perhaps he should have made it clear in the narrative that this was a personal belief, and not hide it away in the footnotes. Otherwise, I found this to be a very informative and enjoyable read.

Posted: Sat Sep 30th, 2006 08:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Cap

Mana: 

AJ,

I have to admit, when I first ran across the quote in question which came early in the book, I immediately experienced the thought as to whether I wanted to continue to read the book. I wondered if it was going to be a work of fiction (or another attempt by a current historian to re-write history) which was not my belief when I purchased the book.

My first action was a return to the Foreward in which the author assures the reader that this book was very well researched and presented as fact. That led me to the footnote which somewhat explained the quote. I do agree with you however, given the powerful nature of the quote, in that some explanation should have been more evident. The quote as we have come to know it (and which I still prefer and will remember) is even inscribed on the wall of Lincoln's Tomb.

Cap

Posted: Sun Oct 1st, 2006 04:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

Evening all,

The book "Manhunt" is being made into a motion picture starring Harrison Ford.  Should be out sometime next year.

The author's next book deals with the chase to track down Jefferson Davis after he left Richmond in April, 1865.

Hope all are well.

Regards from the Garden State,

Steve Basic

Posted: Mon Oct 2nd, 2006 12:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

I've heard rumors of Johnny Depp possibly playing Booth.  Anything to this?

Posted: Mon Oct 2nd, 2006 05:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

Doc,

Have read the same rumors here in the NYC papers, but am guessing he will not do so as he is involved in the 3rd film of"The Pirates of the Caribbean" saga.

Steve Basic

Posted: Mon Oct 2nd, 2006 02:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
David White

Mana: 

I thought they filmed the third pirate movie when they did the second.  I've heard Depp is signed up to play Booth as well.

Posted: Mon Oct 2nd, 2006 03:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

There's several different stories going around. According to the NYT:

At moments like this, "Manhunt" does not precisely lionize or empathize with Booth. But it certainly places emphasis on the assassin's star quality. "Booth is not celebrated for the murder, but he has in some ways been forgiven for it," Mr. Swanson writes. The author has said that Booth might be well played by Johnny Depp.

However some other sites claim he has refused the role due to other commitments. I think he'd make a good Booth myself.

As for "angels" versus "ages", it's been a controversy almost from the beginning, with eye-witnesses at the death scene split between what was said. I've always believed "angels" was more likely.

Posted: Mon Oct 2nd, 2006 06:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

an interesting note concerning the author of manhunt.  i believe he has a guided tour tracing booths' escape from d.c. to his eventual capture/shooting.

Posted: Wed May 16th, 2007 10:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

With Speilburg delaying Manhunt & Ford to film Indiana Jones IV, is there hope for Depp getting the Booth role? Just saw Platoon for the the ---th time and finally saw Depp.

Doc C

Posted: Thu May 17th, 2007 01:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
A.J.

Mana: 

I spoke to James Swanson in March at the National Archives in College Park, Md., and he told me that Depp would not be playing Booth in the movie. Did not really give a reason, but I got the definate impression that it was Depp's choice and not that of the producers or anyone else.

Posted: Fri May 18th, 2007 01:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Hubby and I have been trying to "cast" "Manhunt" and had immediately cast Johnny Depp, but if he has refused, a second actor that we have mentally cast is Edgar Norton. I never liked him, but when we saw him as the tortured magician in "The Illusionist" we suddenly could see him as John Wilkes Booth. Plus Norton is a darned fine actor.

Still Booth was reputed to be one of the best looking men in America at that time. So I can see stars such as Eric Bana, Ioan Gruffudd, Clive Owen, Jude Law with dark hair, even Brad Pitt (having seen pics of him in Jesse James.)

Posted: Sat May 19th, 2007 04:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

About a year ago when our book group read American Brutus we cast that book.  Johnny Depp was number one and Ed Norton was up there too.  I wish I had saved the email I did .  I cut and pasted pictures of all the characters and next to them posted the pictures of the actors other suggested.  Some were eerie they looked so much alike.  Most actors like Johnny Depp are actually too old to play any of the men who took part in the  event.  They were all so young. 

Posted: Sat May 19th, 2007 03:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Susan, Hubby and I would have loved to have seen that e-mail. We like to "cast" books we have read or think of roles actors we see could play in other movies.

I'm trying to think of some really good YOUNG actors. As you suggest most of the ones who come to mind for Booth are really older than he was. But, people stay "young" looking longer now. They might pass for Booth even at ten years older than he really was.

This is hard, though. I don't know the really young actors. Booth would have to be a "name" actor in order to be a box office draw. What about Colin Farrell? He certainly has the attitude.

Posted: Sat May 19th, 2007 03:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Seems to me Colin Ferrell was one of the actors we bounced around as being a good match to Booth.  We also said Kevin Kline although he is way too old. 

Posted: Sat May 19th, 2007 11:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I dug up some more actors who might do well as John Wilkes Booth.

1. Christian Bale 

2. Orlando Bloom

3. Heath Ledger

4. Jake Gyllenhaal

5. Guy Pierce

Why Kevin Kline was not honored with an Oscar for the 2005 movie "De-Lovely" about the life of composer and lyricist Cole Porter is way beyond me. It was incredible how he was aged throughout the movie and had a leg "amputated." The music is so beautiful in that movie...of course, it is Porter's music. I have the DVD and admit I have watched it several times...OK...a lot.

Posted: Sun May 20th, 2007 01:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
ole

Mana: 

Not Kevin Kline, please. Whatever he's in and I'm watching comes out as "A Fish Called Wanda." Jesse James and Wanda do not mix well.

Ole

Posted: Sun May 20th, 2007 02:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Kevin Kline looks too old in "De-Lovely" to ever be confused with "Wanda." :D But I do understand, Ole. To me Stallone will always be "Rocky." 

By the way, I have two more candidates to play Booth in "Manhunt."

Gerald Butler ("300", "Phantom of the Opera" movie version, 2004. He has the looks.)

Johnathan Rhys  (Currently seen as the young Henry VIII in "The Tudors" series and was Elvis Presley in a TV drama. He is VERY intense.)

Posted: Sun May 20th, 2007 03:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

Jonathan Rhys Myers, and he was great in Ride With The Devil in the role of Pick Mackson. :)

Last I heard he was in rehab.

Steve Basic

Current time is 06:56 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2065 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 24 queries executed.