Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Uncle Tom's Cabin - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Nov 2nd, 2006 12:37 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Just finished Uncle Tom's Cabin.  Can't believe I never read it even though I've been interested in the civil war since grade school and grew up/lived in the Red River area of Louisiana for over --- years, well many years.  Just wanted to get a feel for the immediate period leading up to the war.  Highly recommend to anyones list or read it again if you haven't done so since high school.

Doc C

Posted: Thu Nov 2nd, 2006 02:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
David White

Mana: 

Congratulations Doc, I've never read it myself but have heard it is most tedious from people whose opinion I trust, just not written in the modern style at all, sort of like a Baylor defender trying to tackle an A&M running back ;).

I did read the Classics Illustrated version back when I was 13 if that counts.  I've read many of the classics that way as a matter of fact.

Last edited on Thu Nov 2nd, 2006 02:32 pm by David White

Posted: Thu Nov 2nd, 2006 02:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Whew! Thanks David for coming out and admitting you never read it. I haven't either, but was afraid to admit it. Never read Gone With the Wind either (hanging head in shame)

Posted: Thu Nov 2nd, 2006 09:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

David, javal1 - I thought the same way prior to reading it.  Felt that I would get bogged down then stop but quite surprising really enjoyed it, not the subject matter.  Occasionally tedious but overall found it well worth it considering the time perod it was written.  H.B.S. is far more readable than some of the other 19th century writers.  Never even considered reading G.W.W.   1850's vs 1930's.  I found it interesting H.B.S. bringing up the topic of if the afro-americans would better off under slavery or free and the inherent problems associated with freedom.  Amazingly the north doesn't get off scott free in the book, many of the investors in the southern economy were eastern bankers, etc.  Plus their negative attitudes to a free black population in the north.  I can certainly see where afro-americans can criticize the character of Uncle Tom as subserviant but personally saw him as an extremely different person who believed strongly in his faith and convictions.  At one point when ordered to beat another slave by Simon Legree , Tom refused and was himself beaten.  Another topic - was the treatment of slaves different in the various parts of the south.  You might say they fared worse in the deep south - La, Ms, Ala but on the other hand is being separated from your family and sold down the river considered an improvement? 

David, now I know why my brothers textbooks (classics illustrated) at A&M were cheaper than mine.  Are you going to the OU game?  Hope you beatem.  Unfortunately you still have to finish with TU in Austin.

Doc C

Posted: Thu Nov 2nd, 2006 10:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
David White

Mana: 

Yep, here is the cover of he one I read, except it was 15 cents not 25:

Like Playboy I can/could only handle the pictures not the text ;)

I'll be there when the Aggies put a hurting on those Land Thieves Saturday night.  I'm not worried about the sips yet but they've had some key injuries and look vulnerable to the pass.  We have so many weapons on offense the defense can shut us down in two areas of the game and we'll still have another weapon to hit them with.  No one has shut everything down and McGee just keeps getting better with every game.

Posted: Thu Nov 2nd, 2006 10:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

D.W.

Keep thinking those happy thoughts.  Hope we (LSU) have the same luck against the other U.T. this weekend.  To keep with the c.w. subject, Sherman was president of the L.S.U. prior to the civil war (supposedly cried on hearing of the onset of the c.w.) & the term L.S.U. Tigers came from the title given to the La. Regiments in the A.N.V.

Doc C

You have chosen to ignore ks. click Here to view this post

Posted: Tue Nov 7th, 2006 02:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

David my brother and I had an almost complete set of those comics back in the 50's .  I loved them.  Sad to say my mom took them to her school and they were read to death by her kids.   I did pass a Sophomore English test on Silas Marner by reading the comic. Got an Aplus.    Only way you would get me to read the book.  That is the only version of Uncle Tom's Cabin I have ever read too.   Although ahem Joe I have read Gone with the Wind . 

Posted: Tue Nov 7th, 2006 02:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

KS the book and the movie Gone with the Wind are two different creatures. The movie is all Hollywood, the book is written by a southern woman.  I haven't read it in years but know I really enjoyed it when I read it.

Posted: Tue Nov 7th, 2006 02:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
David White

Mana: 

Susan:

Just about every week, I'd take my 25 cents allowance and go buy a Classics Illustrated comic at the nearby grocery store.  My buddies would say you can get two DC comics with your allowance, instead you can only buy one boring comic book  for 15 cents.  I think I finally gave most of them away about the time I entered high school but when I went home in April, my mom handed me a couple that were still in my parents house.

I loved them but teachers hated them and cliff notes for the very anecdote you cited.

Posted: Tue Nov 7th, 2006 02:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Howdy, bookaholics,

I read Uncle Tom's Cabin recently, for the first time since I was a little girl.  Now I can see why there was so much anger about it.

Although she never visited the slave states, she and her husband lived just across the Ohio River from Kentucky for several years.  There she saw firsthand what slavery was all about.  And eventually wrote her book in serial form.

It's still a powerful read after 150 years.  I'm glad I read it.

Widow

And yes, Classics Comics for the Odyssey.  Greek poetry in colored panels.  Well, that's better than not knowin' nuttin' about it at all, isn't it?

You have chosen to ignore ks. click Here to view this post

Posted: Tue Nov 7th, 2006 02:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Hi, ks, yes, you're right about "Honor's Voice or Choice," already I've forgotten the title.  I'll check the other stuff that you recommended about "Uncle Tom's Cabin."  Still learning my way around in here.

Widow

Current time is 06:37 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3246 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 27 queries executed.